Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote

BTW, part of the assignment was to shoot outdoors, subject facing sun, wearing a ball cap. One pic without flash and one pic with fill flash to light the face under the ball cap. Problem is he wanted the shots at f5.6. The shot without flash was at something on the order of 1/2000 using f5.6. Using fill flash required sync at 1/180 sec and still trying to use f5.6 as he wanted blew out the shot. To get what he wanted with flash would have required f19 (tried it out) so dropping from 200 to 100 would not have helped very much.
For the first one - set the Av mode at f5.6 (shutter speed could be around 1/2000), make sure Link AF point to AE is off. For the second one with fill flash, use M mode, set f5.6 and 1/2000 and for external flash set at HS. Keep ISO the same in both cases, e.g. ISO 200 for K100D Super. I don't see any problem with ISO 100 (or lack of it); however, I would question setting f5.6 of course that also depends on how far the subject is from the camera.

10-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Just tell him that you're "gonna buy a Canon whatever so you can take photos as good as his." When he naturally replies and says "just buying a Canon whatever won't make you as good as me." point out that he just admitted that the important factor is the photographer, not the camera.

On top of that, he doesnt sound like much of a "teacher". "Teaching" is hard, but almost anyone can "instruct." He sounds like an "instructor."
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #63
Inactive Account

If you can, do...

Boot Test, I say! BOOT TEST!!!!
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #64
Veteran Member

All this because of a light-hearted joke? Sick people. Someday that could happen to you, then I hope you find the forum posts :]

10-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I often wonder about photo courses and instructors (whether they be teachers or instructors I will leave to others to debate).

The real qestion is, should they be fully knowledgeable about all types of cameras and functions. Clearly they should not be teaching only nikon or canon (i.e. what they themselves use) but photography in general.

However, at the same time, and I have read this when seeing reviews about different photography instructional tours, the instructor has every right to expect that you know the manual for your camera inside out. They should be able to describe a function and you should know what it is called.

They should also not criticize a student's equipment, aside from being bad form, they can't perhaps expect every student to spend tens of thoudands on the latest high end camera, and it does not take this to explain photographic technique.

As for the pentax not having ISO 100, the real reason is that there was no advantage in image quality between ISO200 and ISO100 so they simply left it out.
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
All this because of a light-hearted joke? Sick people. Someday that could happen to you, then I hope you find the forum posts :]
I ran into this very thing at a dog obedience class I was teaching, many years ago.
I made a joke about "real dogs" in relation to a student's small breed, and spent an hour the next day on the phone with my training director, who pretty much chewed me a new orifice.
Apparently, my breed of choice (look at my avatar) is not the only worthwhile breed of dog.
The lesson I learned was to respect that not everyone wants a Rottweiler. A couple of years ago, my Schutzund bred Rottie (who is an incredibly tough dog) got thoroughly put in his place by an eight pond Shih Tzu bitch.
Lesson learned: sometimes those Kleenex box dogs aren't what they appear to be.
10-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
<snip> ... not criticize a student's equipment, aside from being bad form, they can't perhaps expect every student to spend tens of thoudands on the latest high end camera, and it does not take this to explain photographic technique.
I have given several courses at the local community centre, and on the first evening, I have always brought in a big box with every piece of camera equipment I and my wife own, and even some borrowed. I even have a miniscule Minolta 16 that is 100% mechanical. No batteries required. At one point I had a Polaroid as well. I would stick all this equipment on a table so everyone could ooh and aah as they came in for the first meeting.

On that first night I would show some photos, including a spectacular photo of a 10 year old boy balancing sideways on a log that was sticking out into a lake, with his fishing rod, perfectly framed with lovely fall foliage. It remains one of my favourite photos. The lighting could not have been better. The compositioin was as good as it gets.

My wife took it with a Konica point and shoot that was essentially an updated Kodak Brownie. The point that I was making is that one can take good photos, no matter what the equipment.

10-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
The all Nikon lineup only goes to ISO 200 at min (ISO 100 is an extended, DR reduced mode)... I guess they are Traban then...
TrabanT.....
10-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
For the first one - set the Av mode at f5.6 (shutter speed could be around 1/2000), make sure Link AF point to AE is off. For the second one with fill flash, use M mode, set f5.6 and 1/2000 and for external flash set at HS. Keep ISO the same in both cases, e.g. ISO 200 for K100D Super. I don't see any problem with ISO 100 (or lack of it); however, I would question setting f5.6 of course that also depends on how far the subject is from the camera.
external flash set at HS?
what exactly does that mean?
10-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
external flash set at HS?
what exactly does that mean?
High-speed sync.

This function is only available with compatible flash units (Pentax/Sigma's "Super" series/Metz) and allows the camera to go beyond its designated "sync speed" while still operating the flash.

The working principle is simple: instead of one big jolt of current lighting up the flash, the flash sends off light in a rapid succession of pulses.
10-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #71
Veteran Member

In my digital photography class we were talking about ISO ratings in cameras and I mentioned that my K100D Super would only go down to 200 instead of 100. This is when he said I bought an Edsel. At least I got even with him. Told him while he was spending thousands on IS (or whatever they call it) that Nikon built into it's lenses to rip him off, I could buy Takumars, some of the greatest glass ever made, for practically nothing and all of them could be used with shake reduction. I think I made my point and I think he realized I wasn't happy with his joke.

CW
Just look at his photos...that should clarify a lot of things.

Ben
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #72
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just look at his photos...that should clarify a lot of things.

Ben
Actually Ben, his photos are very good.

This is one of the photos I'm taking to class this week. Yes, I know the limb was in the way but since I was on someone's property, I wasn't going to go cutting shrubbery. Comments and criticism?

CW
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
10-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
High-speed sync.

This function is only available with compatible flash units (Pentax/Sigma's "Super" series/Metz) and allows the camera to go beyond its designated "sync speed" while still operating the flash.

The working principle is simple: instead of one big jolt of current lighting up the flash, the flash sends off light in a rapid succession of pulses.
ahh, thanks for the explanation...
10-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #74

Actually, Wheatfield, the only true dog that would live in our house is one you can saddle...

-Matt
10-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually Ben, his photos are very good.

This is one of the photos I'm taking to class this week. Yes, I know the limb was in the way but since I was on someone's property, I wasn't going to go cutting shrubbery. Comments and criticism?

CW
Next time you hit this problem, try holding the branch down a bit to put it in a more photogenic position.