Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My instructor called my Pentax an Edsel!

In my digital photography class we were talking about ISO ratings in cameras and I mentioned that my K100D Super would only go down to 200 instead of 100. This is when he said I bought an Edsel. At least I got even with him. Told him while he was spending thousands on IS (or whatever they call it) that Nikon built into it's lenses to rip him off, I could buy Takumars, some of the greatest glass ever made, for practically nothing and all of them could be used with shake reduction. I think I made my point and I think he realized I wasn't happy with his joke.

CW

10-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
In my digital photography class we were talking about ISO ratings in cameras and I mentioned that my K100D Super would only go down to 200 instead of 100. This is when he said I bought an Edsel. At least I got even with him. Told him while he was spending thousands on IS (or whatever they call it) that Nikon built into it's lenses to rip him off, I could buy Takumars, some of the greatest glass ever made, for practically nothing and all of them could be used with shake reduction. I think I made my point and I think he realized I wasn't happy with his joke.

CW
It's not really an instructor's place to make judgmental comments on a student's choice of camera.
He's there to teach photography, not be a cheerleader for any particular brand, or to denigrate any particular brand.
That's the kind of thing pounds nails into the lid of professionalism's coffin.
10-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

CW
Time to switch instructors. I can't stand obnoxious jerks like this. They're really hiding some insecurities to put so much stock in their equipment, and have to put down someone elses equipment because it's different. Nevermind that you're a student in the class. That's just classless and would pretty much ruin the class for me.
10-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Let's see.

Edsels are rare collector cars but worth much more than the average oldie.

10-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Let's see.

ROFL Our assignment for this week is to photograph something we like. Since I love old cars, I wish I could find and Edsel and bring him in some photos. With someone somewhere way in the background with one finger extended. Yeah, that finger.

CW
10-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Go get yourself a t-shirt made that reads "Those who can not do, teach." and wear that to class.
10-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Go get yourself a t-shirt made that reads "Those who can not do, teach." and wear that to class.
Seriously funniest quote of the day.

10-11-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good on ya pal. That's the only way to treat such holes. If s/he are teaching this course as part of evening classes sponsored by colleges, universities, city councils, etc., I would definately lodge a complaint. It is NOT their place (as said above) to make comments on the students' choice of equipment.

Look for a car museum in your area, or a car club, ask someone at the NSRA or something - Florida/Georgia should have plenty of listings, and you will get your Edsel photo. Check with Ford dealers in your area they will know where you can find one. Heck, check if there's a Edsel Club.
10-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

CW
Without further explanation it seems like he made a crass and hurtful comment. However, he could have been making a general comment on one of the main reasons the Edsel failed to garner a lot of sales; it was a marketing disaster. The reasons the Edsel failed so spectacularly should be discussed so similar mistakes aren't made in the future. Mechanically, the Edsel was a fine car, contrary to some opinions. But Ford promised it to be something amazing and spectacular and would have never-seen-before options and styling. In reality it borrowed parts from other Fords and Lincolns and looked quite like all other cars in the late 1950's; other than that expressive grill!

There are lots of books and articles on the mighty Edsel and why it failed, I'm not going to ramble on for ever. The instructors comparison isn't really fair as Pentax has not been marketed as 'the next best thing', but it appears that even we on this forum have some concerns over their marketing strategy. Personally, I would say that Pentax is a decent, inexpensive choice for a camera system - but it ain't no Edsel! Pentax has been around for decades while the Edsel was gone is 3 years.

Last edited by J.Scott; 10-11-2008 at 03:23 AM.
10-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's not the camera that makes a photograph...

Just remember, it's not the camera that makes a great photographer. Its the person behind the camera.....

Now go take some stunning shots and make an A.
10-11-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Last fall, I took a couple of photography classes and even though our instructor, a working professional, used Canons and Nikons in his work, he enthusiastically recommended Pentax to those of us who were looking to buy into a DSLR system. Apparently, he has a friend who has a Pentax and is somewhat familiar with the system and knows a good deal when he sees one.

It looks like I'm going to a car museum with the parents today, so maybe I'll find an Edsel to shoot.

Heather
10-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can't find a life size real Edsel, perhaps you can find a toy repro to use as a subject.

Google it and go...
10-11-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

CW
Does he realise that if he has a D40, D70, or a D300 then his native ISO is also ISO200. The latter camera only goes down to ISO100 by frigging the apparent sensitivity.

I would have to question this idiots qualifications as an instructor.
10-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
Inactive Account

...I could buy Takumars, some of the greatest glass ever made, for practically nothing and all of them could be used with shake reduction.
CW
The quote I saw was "Pentax has manufactured 25 million lenses and ALL of them come with shake reduction".
10-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Let's see.

This was my thought. His analogy is proof of his ignorance.