Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Go get yourself a t-shirt made that reads "Those who can not do, teach." and wear that to class.
That wouldn't work with him. Besides his own studio, he works for the Atlanta Zoo, AP photographing NASCAR at Atlanta Motor Speedway, worked for the Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, was full time with the AP, etc. so he can do as well as teach. He shot the famous (in Atlanta) photo of Sid Breem sliding in safe at home to win the 1991 NL Championship over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

CW

10-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
However, he could have been making a general comment on one of the main reasons the Edsel failed to garner a lot of sales; it was a marketing disaster. The reasons the Edsel failed so spectacularly should be discussed so similar mistakes aren't made in the future. Mechanically, the Edsel was a fine car, contrary to some opinions. But Ford promised it to be something amazing and spectacular and would have never-seen-before options and styling. In reality it borrowed parts from other Fords and Lincolns and looked quite like all other cars in the late 1950's; other than that expressive grill!
I thought the Edsel failed because it was not deemed attractive. The car was heavily marketed, but sales were flat from the time of introduction. Yes, there were other "unattractive" cars from the same time period, but the Edsel stands out. The lesson to be learned from the Edsel is that market research during the design phase is essential.

Now none of the Pentax line is "unattractive" and all are pretty much full-featured and perform well at their price point. I think the instructor is way off-base with his comment. Unless the students choice of camera affects their ability to complete an assignment, the instructor should keep his opinions to himself.

Steve
10-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
That wouldn't work with him. Besides his own studio, he works for the Atlanta Zoo, AP photographing NASCAR at Atlanta Motor Speedway, worked for the Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, was full time with the AP, etc. so he can do as well as teach. He shot the famous (in Atlanta) photo of Sid Breem sliding in safe at home to win the 1991 NL Championship over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

CW
I guess his resume' explains all! For the average pro sports shooter Pentax = doorstop by definition. Still, unless you were assigned to do something at ISO 100, I don't see what the issue should be. The put-down was unwarranted. At the price range for the K100D, there are very good reasons to choose Pentax over Canon or Nikon.

Steve
10-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess his resume' explains all! For the average pro sports shooter Pentax = doorstop by definition. ...

Steve
For the average pro sports shooter, anything other than two or three camera models are door stops.
Defining it that way, any of the Canon Rebel DSLRs are Edsels, as is almost the entire Nikon line, all of Sony and Olympus, Leica, Epson, Hasselblad, Rollei, etc.
It's nice that he is a successful pro photographer, but if his arrogance and ignorance are getting in the way of his instructing, he should stick to the sidelines at ballgames, where he doesn't have to talk to anyone.

10-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #20
Inactive Account

For your next theme, you could do a sunset lit photo instructor with 4 dobermans on him. You can get some great silhouettes from that.
I wonder if the moron realized that 200 is the 100D's native ISO, and its noise is as low on 200 as the rest on 100
10-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Go get yourself a t-shirt made that reads "Those who can not do, teach." and wear that to class.
Yes, that's the way to fight ignorant stereotypical comments ... with ignorance!
10-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Now you realize that you MUST find an Edsel and take fantastic pictures of it! Heck even a model or matchbox version is good enough...

As for the teachers comments, meh... whatever floats his boat. If anything he's proven to the class that he's close minded and ignorant (whatever his credentials are).

Pat

10-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

A TOOL shouldn't be dissing a tool
10-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
The quote I saw was "Pentax has manufactured 25 million lenses and ALL of them come with shake reduction".
Pentax has manufactured 25 million lenses but not one of them has shake reduction in the lens. Pentax does make some of the finest glass in the world, and Pentax does have Shake reduction built in to the K100D, K100D super, K10D, K200D, and the K20D camera bodies. With SR built into the bodies there is no need to build separate lenses with SR built in. For Canon and Nikon this is one way of making you pay more for a lens than what it's worth.

As for a Pentax being an Edsel, Well your instructor is an idiot. Edsel was one of the finest car's made in it's time. It just never caught on. Pentax however has caught on and is thriving despite their marketing. Great camera, great glass, and great users, this forum is prime example of that fact.
10-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
A TOOL shouldn't be dissing a tool
Shouldn't this be a FOOL shouldn't be dissing a tool????
10-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #26
Forum Member

I find it funny that an instructor would go out of his/her way to single out a student and belittle them.

That said, I've personally learned to deal with that kind of junk. I would have laughed and said "Heeeeey...Edsels are UNIQUE!"
10-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VIXIV Quote
I find it funny that an instructor would go out of his/her way to single out a student and belittle them.
Yeah... says a lot about the instructor....

Pat
10-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Does he realise that if he has a D40, D70, or a D300 then his native ISO is also ISO200. The latter camera only goes down to ISO100 by frigging the apparent sensitivity..
duhhhhhhh

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
The quote I saw was "Pentax has manufactured 25 million lenses and ALL of them come with shake reduction".
good one

As for his resume/CV gee and he still doesn't know his equipment? Anyway, doesn't give him any special rights.
10-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Most photo classes I have been to, they dealt with things like exposure and composition and everyone used a manual camera. I guess time have changed.
10-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #30
jeffkpotter

Thank you much CW for defending us and Pentax. What an elitist dork your instructor is.
I only have a few old lenses in my kit but they are absolutely essential for my work, and I live off my Pentax equipment. And...this is important, unless you just like wasting money, you can get the job done at 1/3 the price of Canikon. My employers don't know the difference. Pentax images have more bite anyway!

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 10-11-2008 at 02:12 PM.