Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upgrading-- Getting back into the scene

So after a few years of inactivity, I decided it's time to make a comeback!
Currently I have a K5 (that I love) that I've owned since new. However it's beginning to show its age (tech wise). I would love to go with a K1 but not really in my budget currently (I would rather spend the extra money on better glass). I am currently debating which is best the KP, K3 or the K70.

I like the weight and feel of the K5.

I will be using this for street/nature photography, so low light and dynamic range are important to me. But low light performance is probably the most important.

I've not been on the up and up with products for some time, so I am curious to know the major differences and which offers the best features.

08-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP and K-70 are the latest and greatest in terms of image quality, so if that's your priority, I'd recommend going for one of those. The K-70 is the consumer-grade model, while the KP features the same build quality as the flagship line. However, the KP falls a little short of the great ergonomics of the K-5 and K-3, and lacks certain flagship features, such as dual card slots or a large RAW buffer. This makes the whole KP vs K-3 decision a bit more tricky. That said, the KP is still a big step up over the K-5, so I doubt you'll regret it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The KP and K-70 are the latest and greatest in terms of image quality, so if that's your priority, I'd recommend going for one of those. The K-70 is the consumer-grade model, while the KP features the same build quality as the flagship line. However, the KP falls a little short of the great ergonomics of the K-5 and K-3, and lacks certain flagship features, such as dual card slots or a large RAW buffer. This makes the whole KP vs K-3 decision a bit more tricky. That said, the KP is still a big step up over the K-5, so I doubt you'll regret it
That is something else I was considering, is build quality, and ergonomics (I find having a battery grip helps immensely).
I did see the KP does not have the top LCD display(?) Image quality is certainly a high priority, but I've been happy with the results of the K-5.

Is the KP the current flagship APS-C?

Thanks!
B
08-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I did see the KP does not have the top LCD display(?) Image quality is certainly a high priority, but I've been happy with the results of the K-5.
It does not but it makes up for it with extra dials! The KP's autofocus, high ISO performance and general quality of life stuff like being able to zoom in on the preview shot as you take a picture just makes the KP that much better than the K-5 line. Amazing camera, really.

08-03-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Another consideration is that with the KP's tilting screen and various display/night view options, the rear LCD can do everything that the top LCD was used for.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd also recommend checking out these reviews for more details on each camera:

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam

08-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I "upgraded" from a K-5 to a K-70 ... the image quality, especially from a low-light and "cropability" perspective, was a revelation, but the more "compact" ergonomics of the newer body took some getting used to, especially when fitted with a long lens. I suspect the slightly larger/heavier KP would have been easier to physically adapt to, but I'd need to test-drive one to convince myself that the price difference was worth it!

Just my tuppence-worth, YMMV

08-04-2019, 02:46 AM   #8
Unregistered User

The K-1 is like a big workhorse that can do everything. The KP and K-3 are smaller and nimbler, but different, subsets of the K-1's functionality. I'd go with the K-3 if what you're photographing is likely to be moving fast and you'll be using "burst mode" a lot (e.g., sports), and the KP if you're doing landscapes or portraits, especially in ambient or low light. The KP has a much greater range of ISO options, the K-3II has a much faster shutter speed. Check out other differences in this comparison: Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II - Sensor Comparison.
08-04-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently I have a K5 (that I love) that I've owned since new. However it's beginning to show its age (tech wise). I would love to go with a K1 but not really in my budget currently (I would rather spend the extra money on better glass). I am currently debating which is best the KP, K3 or the K70.

I will be using this for street/nature photography, so low light and dynamic range are important to me. But low light performance is probably the most important.

I've not been on the up and up with products for some time, so I am curious to know the major differences and which offers the best features.
I have both the K-3 II and the K-70.

Some of my photography involves shooting wildlife at dusk, so I'm frequently shooting ISO 1600 and then pushing 1 or 2 stops in PP. In this low-light, high-ISO scenario, the K-70 RAW files show significantly less noise (2/3 stop, maybe) than the K-3 II, with no apparent loss of detail. Even though I much prefer the handling and comfort of the K-3 II + grip - especially with the old, large telephoto lenses I use - the K-70 gets the call when I know I'm shooting exclusively from a tripod.

The KP has similar image quality to the K-70, plus has the ability to accept a battery grip and also has a quieter shutter.

The K-3 is like a slightly larger K-5. The K-70 feels small and cramped to me, my old K-5 II + grip felt good but a little small, the K-3 II + grip is nearly perfect, the K-1 + battery grip probably would feel perfect to me.

If I were in your shoes I would look hard at the KP.
08-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I have both the K-3 II and the K-70.

Some of my photography involves shooting wildlife at dusk, so I'm frequently shooting ISO 1600 and then pushing 1 or 2 stops in PP. In this low-light, high-ISO scenario, the K-70 RAW files show significantly less noise (2/3 stop, maybe) than the K-3 II, with no apparent loss of detail. Even though I much prefer the handling and comfort of the K-3 II + grip - especially with the old, large telephoto lenses I use - the K-70 gets the call when I know I'm shooting exclusively from a tripod.

The KP has similar image quality to the K-70, plus has the ability to accept a battery grip and also has a quieter shutter.

The K-3 is like a slightly larger K-5. The K-70 feels small and cramped to me, my old K-5 II + grip felt good but a little small, the K-3 II + grip is nearly perfect, the K-1 + battery grip probably would feel perfect to me.

If I were in your shoes I would look hard at the KP.
I think I am dialing in to the K-3 II and the KP, just looking at the specs, they offer similar features.

both offer sensor shift stabilization, similar view finder, the K-3 II offers 1fps faster continuous shooting, built in GPS (not a feature I've had in the past so nothing I foresee needing).

I really like the idea of the articulating screen, but it's something I've not had for the last 12 years so not sure how useful it is to me.
Does anyone have any examples from the K-3II and the KP?

Also it looks like the KP is a bit lighter but similar in size to the K-5 (K-5 740g 131x97x73 and KP 703g 132x101x76).

I am especially interested to see if anyone has any examples of low light performance.

I am most likely to be using the Pentax DA* 55 f1.4 most of the time.

--Correction--
I will actually be using the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG that I just ordered rather than the 55 DA* as my primary lens. Assuming it looks good on the K-5 lol

Last edited by Bcrary3; 08-04-2019 at 08:51 AM.
08-04-2019, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does anyone have any examples from the K-3II and the KP?
I've got the K-3 and KP. (I've also got a K-S2 and have previously had the K-30 and K100D Super.) I use the K-3 mostly for telephoto (faster burst rate and balances nicely with heavier lenses) and the KP for everything else. The KP's superior high-ISO, shake reduction and pixel shift (an early version is found on the K-3ii) make up for the inferior ergonomics. In fact I find myself using the KP almost all the time now, even though I'm not really fond of how it feels in the hand. (Even the K-30 was better.) When I use the KP, I don't miss the top screen, larger battery or dual card slots, although those features could be a deal-breaker for some. The extra top dial is useful and the articulating screen is welcome when using LiveView. Exposure metering and AF are as good on the KP as on the K-3 and the mechanical shutter is as quiet.

It's hard to illustrate the difference in image quality, because I only post the better shots with each camera. I can only give subjective impressions. In good light and at low ISO, I doubt there is any significant difference (except for the lack of PS in the K-3). But by 1600 ISO the KP is about a stop better:

Here's 2500 ISO on the KP (comparable to 1250 on the K-3):

SR is good on the K-S2 and the K-3, but the KP is at another level. Here is the KP handheld at 0.8 seconds. Unbelievable.

PixelShift with motion correction is fantastic.

Last edited by Des; 08-05-2019 at 12:22 AM.
08-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #12

Is the KP the current flagship APS-C?
Yes. Although it doesn't quite have some of the features of the K-3II, like the dual card slots and a built-in GPS module. Which is why many (most?) are expecting to see a K-3II successor at some point in the future, possibly quite soon. My advice would be to postpone a camera purchase until about November in case Pentax rolls out something special for its 100 years anniversary and if it doesn't, pick a KP during the Black Friday sales.
08-04-2019, 11:50 PM   #13

I faced the same dilemma until about a week ago when I picked up a low shutter count used K3 at a good price $600 AUD.
It is a big step up from the K5 that I have had since new.
In particular the first thing I noticed was the quieter shutter and faster general response, the quicker and more accurate focus with both screw drive and silent focus lenses and the more accurate light metering - especially with bounce or second flash. The better resolution is also very welcome.
I looked at the KP many times, held one in a shop but decided against it as: a) price a bit more than I wanted to spend b) it just didn't feel right in my hand after so many years of holding my K5.
08-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

...I am currently debating which is best the KP, K3 or the K70.I like the weight and feel of the K5.I will be using this for street/nature photography, so low light and dynamic range are important to me. But low light performance is probably the most important....
K-3: Comes closest to the K-5 feel and build quality. Faster bursts than the K-5 for nature/wildlife. For low light noise, though, images will be comparable maybe even a little worse (depending on how you shoot and process) to the K-5. This is the only 1 of the 3 contenders with dual card slots if that matters.

KP: Best image quality in low light. The feel, though, will be least like the K-5 of the 3 cameras because it's the smallest body.

K-70: Better low light image quality than the K-5 but not quite as good as the KP. The build quality isn't as sturdy as the K-5. The control feel of the K-70 will feel more similar to the K-5 than will the KP.

In other words, the KP is #1 for image quality and #3 for feel compared to K-5. K-3 reverses that with #3 image quality and #1 for feel. K-70 comes in #2 in both categories and costs the least.