Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2019, 01:24 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dropped on concrete and fixed!

Have you ever known that eternal moment as your camera falls to the ground? The regret that you weren't standing on bubble wrap? Or the sudden realization that maybe you did a crappy job hastily attaching the strap? People around me gasped in sympathetic horror! (really)

If this happens to you, try to have your camera and DA 18-135 fall on the left bottom side, just left of the battery door. If you get lucky and have never ever complained about the lack of a new top tier APS-C replacement, the camera still works fine. The only damage was the battery pushed out on the battery door at impact. One of the metal tabs that lock the door in place got bent slightly. There are two screws on the inside surface of the door. Unscrew those, the tab is right there, flatten it back out, screws back in, done.

Useful information, the whole K-7 bottom plate is the same part as on the K-5 IIs. The slight downside, your camera now has a Hoya label.

08-08-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh my! So glad it turned out OK for you... That's a terrible thing to happen, but I guess it's a risk every time we take our gear out, and something we have to accept might occur one day
08-08-2019, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm glad the damage you suffered was more psychological and transient than physical and permanent.

Scientists should study dropping cameras as a potential time-dilation technology. Yes, the moment is eternal as gravity gleefully accelerates one's precious Pentax products toward inevitable impact (or immersion if one is hunching over a pond).

Of course, "accidents" might be a prelude to new purchases so there is some (expensive) solace in that.
08-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done!
I dropped one camera and lens onto concrete about 6 years ago. It was a K-x complete with DAL 55-300 which fell out of a camera bag side flap (which I thought was closed). I was very lucky and both survived just fine (small cosmetic blemishes only). Used the K-x for over a year before selling (full disclosure of its condition) and still use the DAL 55-300.

My event resulted in more psychological damage than physical it would seem and still quite paranoid about zipping up my camera bags!

08-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had my K-3 & Sigma 10-20/3.5 tip over on a tripod that had an unlocked leg (but it was in a gravel parking lot)...The Sigma has a cracked filter ring, so I can't use my ND filter anymore, the lens hood absorbed most of the impact and survived.
08-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My then only one year old ME Super took a tumble down some concrete steps and survived with only a little brass rash showing on the bottom plate. Still worked fine. Pentax seems to have a good track record for building solid stuff.
08-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I manage to drop something I try to get my toe under in time. A flat toe is better than a broken whatever. The older I get the more black toes I get.

08-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Have you ever known that eternal moment as your camera falls to the ground? The regret that you weren't standing on bubble wrap? Or the sudden realization that maybe you did a crappy job hastily attaching the strap? People around me gasped in sympathetic horror! (really). . .
yep,

did that,

don't want to do it ever again

had a brand new ( to me ) SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM on the K 3 and a connection failure with the strap:

" As I talked to a young family, the quick release system of the Optech failed and tore apart.

the camera and lens dropped to the side walk with these results:

1 ********now this is where i am proud of myself - I said something in a loud tone, can't remember exact words but it was " family safe " . . .

I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
08-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the feeling all too well. My K50 with a 55-300mm fell off a tripod when I accidently kicked a rock into one the legs on the edge of the rim of the Grand Canyon. Just lucky I grabed it before it tumbled 3,000 ft. down. Only damage was a small nick on the corner by the battery door. Thank God for Pentax building things like a tank!
08-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I’ve read on Quora that a Pentax K10D was the only camera to return intact from a 32 km stratospheric meteo probe beating Nikon and Canon.
So they are well built.

Last edited by Zooland; 08-08-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spl
08-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
I’ve read on Quora that a Pentax K10D was the only camera to return intact from a 32 km stratospheric meteo probe beating Nikon and Canon.
So they are well built.
Yes, some awesome shots and flight info were posted in this thread:

Pentax k10d in space - PentaxForums.com

I have only dropped one other Pentax. My P3n fell out of a bag that I thought was zipped. The rear element of the Sigma 35-70 zoom broke but the camera was fine until it suffered from lack of use.
08-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

In 1979 I dropped my film slr onto a granite slab on day 2 of a 5day Wyoming backpack. No click or any sign of life. After mourning for 20 minutes or so, I dialed the shutter slowly; at B I heard a grinding click..and it worked again!

My exif data did not work back then so I'm not sure if that was my original Praktica superTL or my ME super. I had to take a whole roll of film in the next quarter mile (no wide angle lens + Cirque of the Towers).

Glad your modern device suffered no major damage!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-08-2019 at 09:33 PM.
08-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #13

I had never dropped a cell phone, or beer bottle...but, still have that sick feeling of watching my k-70 and 18-135 zoom smack the pavement with a thunderous boom (imagined, I'm sure). Tough camera, but cracked the body near battery compartment. I was grabbing it in time to save lens impact (whoa...how fast was that?) Camera operated and took sharp photos, but on second day, suddenly winked out on me a few times, but would come back on after short period...Couldn't be repaired, so sadly(hee) upgraded to KP...such a tragedy...(yay insurance)
08-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just yesterday my tripod hit the floor when I tied my shoe. I had it in its bag slung around my back, and it was quite tight even standing straight up, but bent over it was just too much stress for the plastic bit holding the strap. My tripod is not expensive in the first place and survived just fine, but hearing that hard *plonk* was quite a shock at first. Luckily a friend of mine had some handy extra little straps from his strap system, so I could keep on wearing it slung around my back after the incident.
My smartphone did drop onto concrete more than once but luckily survived with just some scratches in the aluminum body, even without a case.
Having not had the "pleasure" to let my camera hit the floor yet, does that mean I'm overdue?
08-09-2019, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
J. . . Having not had the "pleasure" to let my camera hit the floor yet, does that mean I'm overdue?
IMHO

you learn from experience

your own or the experience of others

examples:

the experience of eating a delicious chocolate cake - I want to learn myself

being bit by a venomous snake - I want to learn from the experience of others

my suggestion - learn about the experience of dropping your camera and/or lens from the experience of others