Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2019, 04:14 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take the used sd card and put it into the computer and immediately make a copy which I use for all pp

I then store it if I want to or format the used card in the camera or just put an unused card into the camera

sd cards are relatively cheap now a days

since I have the battery grips on my K 3 and K 3 II I have an extra sd card with my cameras at all times.

it only gets switched to the camera if I forget to put an sd card in when I switch out the used one or if I run out of memory in the field.

[ if you use the AA battery tray then there is no room to stash an extra sd card in the grip ]

I always try to remember to check the battery and sd card status before leaving and if I am smart on that particular day, I bring a spare battery or two any way

I try to remember Finnigan's corollary to Murphy's Law ( Murphy was an optimist ) and follow the 7Ps:

" The 7 Ps is a British Army adage for Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. The 7 Ps are normally referred to as "the 7 Ps" rather than as an acronym: (i.e. PPPPPPP) " - https://military.wikia.org/wiki/7_Ps_(military_adage)

please note that I said I try to

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-10-2019 at 04:24 AM.
08-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Card reader...hands down! I keep a USB3 cable in the camera bag, but seldom use it. Part of my reasoning is that the USB fitting on my K-3 is fussy. The other part is that file transfer (I do multiple folders at a time) is quite fast and does not drain the battery. Out of the camera, in to the reader, back in the camera.

Steve
08-10-2019, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use cable for the computer and a card reader for an ipad. I prefer the cable, it's just easier, and I believe less wear and tear on the card contacts. I import straight to Lightroom Classic CC (doesn't work with Lightroom CC) and the file names are changed to my settings (date, camera name, and sequential number) during import, I'm sure you can do this through a card reader also. I believe the card import is a little faster, but normally not enough to make a difference, maybe if you have thousands of images on the card.

The good thing is, neither method is wrong, do whatever fits your workflow better. And you mentioned wifi, I would definitely use that if it were faster and less clunky. By the way, I have left a cable connected overnight on more than one occasion and have never seen a battery drain from it.
08-10-2019, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use the cable, making sure to put in the end in the camera first, then the other into the pc, and to be very careful placing the camera on my desk such that I'm not even able to accidentally touch the cable while it is plugged in. When the files are transferred, I switch off the camera, remove the cable and close the cover immediately.

I would really like to use a card reader, but always make the mistake of reading the 1 star reviews about the thing getting too hot, breaking after a month, not providing the promised read/write speeds, corrupting the files or even cards... and then I'm happy to save the 5 to 30 bucks I'd otherwise have spent on the thing...

08-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rambling robin Quote
Just curious to know what other folks do
With my older cameras where Pentax supplied the cable, I use that.

With the newer cameras where they [stingy Ricoh] didn't, I use a card reader.
08-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find shooting RAW+ and copying photos off my K-1 II directly arduous at best due to the older slower interface. Even though my K3 II has zippier USB, I still use a reader, but I often wonder why I don't just plug a cable into the camera. Habit I guess.
08-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The good thing is, neither method is wrong, do whatever fits your workflow better. And you mentioned wifi, I would definitely use that if it were faster and less clunky. By the way, I have left a cable connected overnight on more than one occasion and have never seen a battery drain from it.
I would like to emphasize this, hopefully no one feels inferiour or superiour to anyone else, because of their personal interface orientation.

Flash memory cards are the weakest link in the chain between your camera sensor and your computer's memory, but every link has the potential to fail at the worst time, due to no fault of your own. As far as I know, no one has ever died because of a failure to save a photograph, although my daughter thought she had when her memory card got corrupted during a trip to Costa Rica when she was in high school. $200 later, 197 of 204 photos were saved by a professional data recovery service. By my estimate, 160 of the recovered 197 photos were of the same group of friends getting on a bus or sitting in a bus.

08-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I pop the card because the K-1, while being the best camera in the world, adopted USB 2 which is sloooooooow, especially for the large files the K-1 generates. The downside is that using a card reader always has the potential for corrupting data on the card so I do a special de-murphyizing dance each time Also, when the card comes up in a browzer, it's easier to navigate and see what files are what instead of waiting on the slow connection USB provides.
08-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Swap new card straight into camera and pop the used one in the computer.Never without a card!Has the added benefit that I have a RAW backup off computer until I've finished PP.
This.

I shoot raw on card 1 (which is the one I pop into the reader) and JPEG on card 2 (which I switch only when it's full; it's purely for backup). Every now and then, when I'm sure I have off-site backup of the images, I format the used cards.
08-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
But I have occasionally left the card in the reader and gone out trying to shoot with no memory.
My desktop computer has a built-in card slot right on the front, and I use it. When I take the card out of the camera, I leave the card door open as a reminder that the card is out. (As I age, I use more and more reminder techniques.) Some dust may float in, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

I read a post some time ago that a computer's operating system is more robust than a camera's. [Insert Gates/Windows insults and horror stories here.] It said to never delete an image using your camera; only do file management on your computer to minimize the chance of corrupting other files. That opinion may be a bit over-the-top, but it sort-of makes sense to me. For me, USB transfer speed and camera battery sucking dry is the worse alternative.
08-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I shoot raw and my cameras don't allow name change in camera. But with the many photos I take, uploading makes it harder to change the name quickly after getting then in the computer
I have a utility called FileMenuTools, which allows multiple renamimg of files or folders, with complete user-set parameters.
08-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I always use the USB, SD cards are super fiddly.
I have a card reader that came with my PC, but I disconnected it because it always showed 4 empty drives (one for each card type) in "my computer" and cluttered it up.
08-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #28

I use the card. I carry two portable hard drives in my computer bag and I have two more at home. I copy to the two hard drives, confirm storage on both, replace the card in the camera and clear. Then I remove the camera battery and place on charge. I do this for each camera unless I can't charge, then I replace the battery with a fresh one saving the partially discharged batteries for backup. When I am back home I copy one of the two drives to a storage drive that only has out of camera Raw and jpg. I copy the other drive to another home drive that has any work I may have done in the field.

Redundant? Yes, but I have "working" hard drives and camera output only drives. I may work Raw files in a couple ways, but I alway have an untouched Raw file not saved through a PP program. Works for me.

JB
08-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Uhm... I think I'll ask for advice...
K-01 USB is shlooow... but I had a corrupted SD with a pen-type USB SD card reader (which died and messed up the card).
The only other reliable SD "reader" I have is my Zoom H4n, but it's not super-fast either.
Question: which SD card reader do you use (I don't trust the one that came with my PC)?
08-11-2019, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #30

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Uhm... I think I'll ask for advice...
K-01 USB is shlooow... but I had a corrupted SD with a pen-type USB SD card reader (which died and messed up the card).
The only other reliable SD "reader" I have is my Zoom H4n, but it's not super-fast either.
Question: which SD card reader do you use (I don't trust the one that came with my PC)?
I use a HAMA USB 2 multi-card reader off Amazon. It helps with my old Sony pic sticks. OK it's not as fast as USB 3 but it works.

I must admit that my most recent attempt is to use a standard SD card adapter fitted with a 16gb micro SD. That only requires access to the card without affecting the slot itself. OK it does introduce another point of failure so will bear watching. There's a similar adapter in the card reader.

My problem - which prompted the original post - partly stems from only taking a few shots at a time. The card may be in and out several times a week but for no more than 20 or 30 shots.