Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2019, 03:23 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always just use a card reader -- download it and replace it in the camera.

My cameras have two card slots so if by some chance I forget to replace the SD card, I still have a card in the other slot. Using a USB 3 capable reader seems a lot faster than using the cable to the camera method and with the K-1 files, that is handy.

08-11-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I always use the cable. I do suggest cable users wrap a piece of coloured tape around the cord where it plugs into the camera. It makes it more visible and less likely that you'll pick your camera up from your desk with it still plugged in (<- he says from experience).

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
By the way, I have left a cable connected overnight on more than one occasion and have never seen a battery drain from it.
Which cameras? I've drained my k5iis a few times.
08-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a IOGear reader, it reads, several types of cards. But I also use faster cards, Sandisk extreme SDXC cards, and at least 90/x. My latest is 150/s write speed, and they're pretty fast read speed too.
08-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I pop the card into the reader in my laptop. USB cables are a hassle. Camera without a card? It happened recently, but I luckily had two other card equipped cameras with me.

08-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I always use the cable. I do suggest cable users wrap a piece of coloured tape around the cord where it plugs into the camera. It makes it more visible and less likely that you'll pick your camera up from your desk with it still plugged in (<- he says from experience).

Which cameras? I've drained my k5iis a few times.
K-30,K-50.KP. I set them all to “sleep” after a few minutes of no usage.
08-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #36
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've always carded oot and then plugged in the side of the iMac screen, nae dramas yet.
08-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also always take the card out and slip it into the slot on the laptop, from which I send the images to an external hard drive, from which I post process them (and delete those I'm not keeping) - I always copy what remains of the images onto a second external hard drive before I re-format the card. Oddly for me, I've never forgotten to put the card back in the camera when I've copied the pictures across

PS - I then periodically/sporadically transfer accumulated post-processed jpegs, which I store on the laptop, back to an annual jpeg dump file on both external drives - works for me - especially using Flickr as a sort of cloud indexing system

Too much information regarding the original question, but what you do at any stage of a system is integral to the whole system you work ...

Last edited by ffking; 08-12-2019 at 12:56 AM.
08-14-2019, 07:39 PM - 3 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

I take the card out - and forget to put it back in all the time. Never have I not had a spare, though. But once I did walk about 3mi only to discover that I had my tripod, three lenses... and no body.
08-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Card out. Because my laptop has a built-in card reader.
08-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I take the card out - and forget to put it back in all the time. Never have I not had a spare, though. But once I did walk about 3mi only to discover that I had my tripod, three lenses... and no body.
I know I've never done that one.
08-15-2019, 01:11 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Card out, USB 3.0 card reader in my behemoth computer makes for very speedy transfer speeds onto my SSD.
08-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've heard that it's good for some people that their head is screwed on so that they can't forget it... but the body???
08-15-2019, 04:34 AM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" has any one seen my glasses ??? never mind, they are on top of my hat "

nope my story doesn't top yours
08-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #44

on the kp there's a handy little orange read light. Powering up it reads the card. If no card my kp sings and dances 'You got no, you got no, memory.'
08-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My cameras do too. When I turn them on and there is no card, it says.....no memory. I think all Pentax cameras have this warning, but if you don't turn your camera on until your out shooting, it doesn't help that you left the card at home. I always have extras with me anyway.