Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

I had the older non-WR DA 55-300mm for some years, then banged it against something solid and damaged the front filter threads, but kept using it. I gave it away with my old K-r and replaced it with the HD WR version (otherwise same optics) and was surprised that the HD coatings actually improved imaging in many instances, besides having the WR advantage. This non-PLM version is still available new at a good price.

As to the KP- yes, if you like the old style ME, ME Super, Super Program, etc, with which I am well acquainted, you will find no problem at all with handling the KP, which affords a lot more in the way of contoured ergonomics than those! In addition, the optional battery grip, which could be added any time, not only can provide considerable gripping surface, but also loads of battery life, and yet the combined weight is only about the same as a K-3 II alone.

JPT has provided some of the KP's other advancements. There are many, such as its advanced metering, new 5-axis SR for superior hand-held shooting, Pixel Shift ultra-resolnution technology, and yet more.

4 Days Ago   #17

Original Poster
With all of these comments, saving up for the KP (let's be honest here, on looks alone it's worth buying) is looking like a very reasonable proposal as it would probably last me half a decade or more (I cannot see my photographic interests requiring 20 fps or 50 MP in the foreseeable future! I only want something that handles well, is robust and doesn't ruin all the interior shots...); my only concern is that right now the cost of a KP is pretty high since there are no used ones! I have seen very nice, lightly (~15-20k shots) used K-1 offers for under 900€... while the KP is, absolute lowest, 780€ on Ebay and that's a Japan import (after calculating import VAT). Most KPs go for 850.

I will wait until Christmas or so and see how things look like. Next on the list, probably a 55-300 (either WR or PLM).

Thank you all so so much for all the help, you guys are incredible!

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 01:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This non-PLM version is still available new at a good price.
Yep, I found several listings for ~260 which is quite reasonable for an all-in-one, WR solution for traveling.
3 Days Ago   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yep, I found several listings for ~260 which is quite reasonable for an all-in-one, WR solution for traveling.
If you're lucky you can even find the PLM for this price or better on the used market.