Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lasting color ???

just curious

my K 3 and K 3 II and all of my lenses are like the early Model T autos built by Ford - black

how well does the silver colored cameras and lenses stand up to use

does the silver coating/color deteriorate with use/time ?

any suggestions on how to prevent that if it occurs ?

5 Days Ago   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Pentax DSLR Discussion forum...
5 Days Ago   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Moved to Pentax DSLR Discussion forum...
thanks
5 Days Ago   #4
Forum Member

It's all plastic so I'd expect it will be pretty ugly in 50 years...probably won't work and probably you won't have a camera to put them on even if they did work. This is one of the things I dislike about modern cameras. I have functional and usable 50 yo Pentax equipment and 80+ yo Exakta equipment.

5 Days Ago   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
It's all plastic so I'd expect it will be pretty ugly in 50 years...probably won't work and probably you won't have a camera to put them on even if they did work. This is one of the things I dislike about modern cameras. I have functional and usable 50 yo Pentax equipment and 80+ yo Exakta equipment.
The K-3 and K-3II body is all magnesium alloy. The KP and K-1 have synthetic top plates...
5 Days Ago   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
how well does the silver colored cameras and lenses stand up to use
Good question! The silver on current model dSLR cameras is paint over metal and paint over plastic. Whether the DA Limited lenses in silver are painted or satin chrome, I don't know.

It is probably safe to say that appearance will change over time with accumulated scratches and corner wear. This would be true even with chromed finish. Whether they will wear as badly as certain AF film camera bodies in silver and the lenses of the same era is hard to say. That being said, I have a Pentax Super Program of early-to-mid 1980s vintage whose top and bottom covers are cover is paint over polycarbonate resin. Despite being about 35 years old, both surface scratches and corner wear are essentially absent on that camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 5 Days Ago at 07:03 PM.
5 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a silver HD DA 15 ltd lens and I'm not sure but I think it is unpainted aluminum. I've had mine for nearly five years and it shows no signs of "color wear". I also have a red K-50 with a couple of scratches where white shows through. polycarbonate can be made in a few different colors including white, black, gray, and clear. So it is possible that a silver polycarbonate camera is not painted. I've owned one or two older plastic lenses that were definitely painted silver.
5 Days Ago   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The K-3 and K-3II body is all magnesium alloy. The KP and K-1 have synthetic top plates...
The outside is metal?

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good question! The silver on current model dSLR cameras is paint over metal and paint over plastic. Whether the DA Limited lenses in silver are painted or satin chrome, I don't know.

It is probably safe to say that appearance will change over time with accumulated scratches and corner wear. This would be true even with chromed finish. Whether they will wear as badly as certain AF film camera bodies in silver and the lenses of the same era is hard to say. That being said, I have a Pentax Super Program of early-to-mid 1980s vintage whose top and bottom covers are paint over polycarbonate resin. Despite being about 35 years old, both surface scratches and corner wear are essentially absent on that camera.

Steve
Are you sure about the super program? I know the ME Super had a thin veneer metal over plastic. I always thought the super program was the same. I've never tested it though.

5 Days Ago   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The outside is metal? . . . .
the underlined section is a link to this -

" The K-3 sports a magnesium-alloy body and a steel inner chassis and it's clear that no compromises have been made in terms of workmanship. Nothing on the camera feels flimsy, and its buttons and switches provide great feedback, being neither too loose nor too tight. "

Read more at: Pentax K-3 Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews
5 Days Ago   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the underlined section is a link to this -

" The K-3 sports a magnesium-alloy body and a steel inner chassis and it's clear that no compromises have been made in terms of workmanship. Nothing on the camera feels flimsy, and its buttons and switches provide great feedback, being neither too loose nor too tight. "

Read more at: Pentax K-3 Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I was referring to the outside shell...and not a reflection of being cheap or flimsy...just that the outside plastics will eventually discolor and dry out...I'm talking 50yrs. I have doubts they will function after 50 yrs like a Spotmatic can. There's still plastic gears internally on most new dslrs. But I hope I'm wrong. I have about 8 Pentax from the 60-70s and they all work. The only things that will be unrepairable is electronics of the metering. Shutter curtain rubberized cloth can be replaced. Even on 80yo Exaktas I've made and replaced curtains. I have a couple super programs and consider it extremely well made...the the led panels will die someday and buttons eventually fail... Anyway, I'm still buying modern cameras... I just have a love for the old mechanical ones.

5 Days Ago   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The outside is metal?
Definitely! At least that is what my fingers say on a cold morning!

Are you sure about the super program?
Quite sure. This is evident by touch comparison with metal-sheathed bodies on the same shelf (not a cold sink) and by tapping and by comparison to the metal bottom plate and metal mount extention sheathing on the same camera. I know this is a traditional matter of contention with many PF members feeling strongly that the Super Program carries the ME Super's construction over, but mine does not support that belief. FWIW...has anyone ever seen one with a dent on the top cover?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 5 Days Ago at 07:18 PM.
5 Days Ago   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The outside is metal?
On the K-3 and K-3II, absolutely. It's magnesium alloy, coated with paint