Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do have grips for K-5iis , K-3 and KP.
No grip for K-1 , no desire to add any weight onto it.

08-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I only find the battery locations a little annoying as battery changes are fairly infrequent. What I find really annoying is that the control positions on the grip do not match those of the camera. Yes, the positions are similar, but if you are really well accustomed to the exact locations of the body controls it's frustrating to have to adapt to slightly different locations. More than once I've established perfect settings only to accidentally hit the green button on the grip when I'm trying to use BBF and I've lost my settings. For that reason, my streak of buying grips ended with the K-1.
The buttons are frustrating. When using BBF and going from horizontal to vertical on the fly I have pressed the wrong button many times.

With the size of Pentax cameras I feel they match the LTD lens's perfectly (no grip) But when I go to a larger/faster lens I prefer to use a grip. I have not handled the K-1 yet.
08-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
The buttons are frustrating. When using BBF and going from horizontal to vertical on the fly I have pressed the wrong button many times.

With the size of Pentax cameras I feel they match the LTD lens's perfectly (no grip) But when I go to a larger/faster lens I prefer to use a grip. I have not handled the K-1 yet.
Interestingly, with the K-5 and K-7 battery grip, the green button is at the "top" and the AF button is to the "bottom":

Where, with the K-1, the AF button is at the "top" while the green button is to the "bottom".

I find the K-1 grip button placement better.
08-17-2019, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Interestingly, with the K-5 and K-7 battery grip, the green button is at the "top" and the AF button is to the "bottom":

Where, with the K-1, the AF button is at the "top" while the green button is to the "bottom".

I find the K-1 grip button placement better.
Yes indeed!!!

08-18-2019, 03:16 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
Pentax Battery Grip
It's never been an issue for me, but I guess as a manual focus guy... the batteries are only really powering up the metering and shutter so they seem to last forever.

I've set my usage to grip first before body preference, so it's normally on the grip I have to charge, so just loosen the L bracket and good to go.

Only every now and then do I do swap over, where I have to actually whip off the L bracket and grip, to do change in batteries.
08-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mark, they are simply following the layout on the back of each individual camera.
08-18-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Mark, they are simply following the layout on the back of each individual camera.
I think you're right. On the K-5, the AF button was in the centre of the AF-MF switch:

While, with the K-3, the AF button was moved to the rear top right of the body:

The K-1 is, of course, similar:

09-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The design with on battery in the grip and a second in then camera is fine for me. When I put the grip off the camera is still fully functional.

And the grip is compact when taken off and put to the camera bag.

I like the Idea of using normal one time 1.5V batteries, when I'm somewhere without the possibility to load the D-Li 90.
I like the additional sd-card. It's a fantastic backup when you forgot to take the cards from the reader to the camera.

I set the priority to the grip first. I'm loading the battery in the grip evertime after a session.

I'm loading the battery in the camera once in 3 month, exchanging it with the grip battery.

I have no needs for more capacity - all may D-Li90 are making more then 900 pictures each.