Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Some time back, I mentioned that a larger top LCD could be had by making the rear control wheel do double duty.
I like your design, (other than the GPS / magnesium issue) so I would throw this in the design mix!
Good idea, Mark, even though I don’t miss the larger top LCD in the slightest.

08-20-2019, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Albums
Some time back, I mentioned that a larger top LCD could be had by making the rear control wheel do double duty.
I like your design, (other than the GPS / magnesium issue) so I would throw this in the design mix!
If you're going to do that, might as well spring for one of those monochrome OLED displays so you can have customizable information available on the top plate.

08-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original K-1 is perfect. Period.
I like the separate third wheel. Push a button, change the function makes me crazy. I have never looked at the top LCD on any digital camera I’ve ever owned. No exaggeration - never looked at it.

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
If you're going to do that, might as well spring for one of those monochrome OLED displays so you can have customizable information available on the top plate.
The new Theta has an OLED display on the front . . . . .
08-20-2019, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Woah, I wasn't expecting this many replies when I went to bed last night. It's great to see all the positive and constructive feedback. I guess it's my turn to reply...

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
You should work for Pentax
Haha, I wish!

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And down to only 800 grams....
Considering the K-1 has a body-only weight of 925g and my design just added a whole lot more magnesium to it, i don't think that's physically possible. This design is realistically going to be more or less 1kg (but we Pentaxians are strong!)

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ain’t gonna happen.
We can still dream!

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
Perhaps a hybrid OVF / EVF?
I chose to omit the hybrid VF idea because I think most of us are quite happy with the large and bright OVF and adding a hybrid VF would add (in my opinion) unnecessary complexity and cost to the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It looks like the bottle opener on the bottom of the camera has been forgotten.
I'm saving that for the official L-brackets.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Can a USB-C port handle 8.3VDC input?
I actually had to look this one up while I was making the concepts. The USB Power Delivery spec says it can handle 5V, 9V, 15V and 20V up to 100W so I guess the 9V spec should be fine with a bit of voltage regulation within the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
What are the latest FF sensors these days- 47MP? 52MP?
The K-1 used a variant of the D800 sensor (2012 tech in a 2016 camera). I chose to use a 45MP camera (essentially a variant of the D850 sensor (2017 tech)) so you wouldn't have to pay the premium for a "lastest and greatest" sensor, but you will still see decent improvement across the board with resolution and noise as well as putting less strain on your wallet and on the buffer as opposed to a 50mp+ sensor.

making the rear control wheel do double duty.
I would guess there would be an additional button to toggle what the rear control dial will do then. Personally I find the 3rd dial very nice to use, which is why I kept it in my design.

Now there is a lot of you saying that the magnesium will block the GPS and the holes will affect the weather resistance. I probably should have clarified that a bit more. Basically, the holes will not be visible from the exterior as these will be an internal structure. There will be a polycarbonate cap (permanently and very very securely attached to the magnesium) to cover the holes and the antenna array ensuring it's weatherproof and still looks like a one-piece top cover. See my very rough doodle below:

08-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #35
JPT
Pentaxian

My opinion:

1) A camera of similar specification to the K-1 downsized into a smaller body, targeting 800g. It would be to the K-1 II, what the KP was to the K-3 II. Could have new features to facilitate use of legacy lenses. It would mainly be for stills and designed to be the perfect companion to the FA limited lenses.

2) The K-3 is getting a big upgrade next year. It will be a new platform of AF/metering/processor they can apply to other sensor sizes. So I expect a full frame flagship 1-2 years afterwards that would be positioned like the D850 is now. It would be a much more versatile camera with smarter AF and high-speed shooting for sports and wildlife.

Last edited by JPT; 08-20-2019 at 10:00 PM.
08-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
My opinion:

1) A camera of similar specification to the K-1 downsized into a smaller body, targeting 800g. It would be to the K-1 II, what the KP was to the K-3 II. Could have new features to facilitate use of legacy lenses. It would mainly be for stills and designed to be the perfect companion to the FA limited lenses.
I love this idea. AP is to KP as SV is to KV? LX cues, designated KC? My imagination is running away with me.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
3) The K-3 is getting a big upgrade next year. It will be a new platform of AF/metering/processor they can apply to other sensor sizes. So I expect a full frame flagship 1-2 years afterwards that would be positioned like the D850 is now. It would be a much more versatile camera with smarter AF and high-speed shooting for sports and wildlife.
All of which explains the significant lag. Just speculating here, I think they missed the inherent demand for APSc that a FF camera could not satisfy.I think they lost a couple years of development lead time. OTOH the next FF and 645 will benefit from the “new platform of AF/metering/processor”.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-20-2019 at 07:35 PM.
08-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Pentax should just make a rangefinder that changes the lines depending on the FL that's on the lens. Then charge 6 thousand dollars for it of course.

08-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
I chose to omit the hybrid VF idea because I think most of us are quite happy with the large and bright OVF and adding a hybrid VF would add (in my opinion) unnecessary complexity and cost to the camera.
Put an interchangeable viewfinder on it, like the LX, and we can all have the option, for only a small additional complexity and a lot greater versatility.
08-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would guess there would be an additional button to toggle what the rear control dial will do then. Personally I find the 3rd dial very nice to use, which is why I kept it in my design.
While there can be an extra button, the simplest way would have the rear wheel take the function of the third wheel when the selector dial has been moved, and then after that selection change, revert to it's usual functions. If I was going to have an extra button, I'd have it on the left by the AF button. I like the third wheel, but I find it a bit clunky.

Another idea would be to use your proposed joystick as the third wheel, when not used for toggling between AF points. Come to think of it, that would make perfect sense!
08-20-2019, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Good idea, Mark, even though I don’t miss the larger top LCD in the slightest.
You're right Bob. I now hardly ever look at it. Because it's too small for my ol' eyes!
08-20-2019, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the simplest way would have the rear wheel take the function of the third wheel when the selector dial has been moved
An even simpler way would be to make the rear dial work in the same fashion as a mouse scroll wheel! You can click the rear dial to toggle it between the normal function and the selector dial function.
08-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An even simpler way would be to make the rear dial work in the same fashion as a mouse scroll wheel! You can click the rear dial to toggle it between the normal function and the selector dial function.
Now that I've thought of using your joystick, I like that better!
08-20-2019, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that I've thought of using your joystick, I like that better!
Using the joystick does sound like a great idea, but for things like exposure comp. and ISO (settings with incremental steps rather than just binary on/off settings) I feel that a wheel would be a bit more intuitive at a user experience level.
08-20-2019, 10:25 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
(are those UHS-II as well? )
That is very funny, for anyone who's ever witnessed our dear forum colleague Rico in a thread!
08-21-2019, 01:04 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any colour as long as it's black.?