Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax X-5 conversion ?

Has anybody done an ir, uv or full spectrum on a Pentax X-5 bridge camera ?? Does the EVF work with IR ??

TIA
DEM

08-21-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's no reason the EVF wouldn't work after conversion. The image colors might be strange, but the image would be there.

The deeper issues are: 1) can you get to the sensor and 2) does the built-in lens transmit and focus UV and IR in a useful way. All glass lenses tend to transmit both UV and IR, but plastic lens elements might not. The optical coatings that prevent flare might not work in IR or UV.
08-21-2019, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As @photoptimist mentions the concern might be more the lens if you can actually access the sensor to remove the hot mirror.
I shoot almost exclusively with a FS converted camera now days.
Most lenses due to coatings, cementing of optics and other factors are very poor at transmitting UV below the 390nm wavelength. Some of the lower build quality lenses will go down to around 365 and the worst (noted in the film days for needing strong UV filters to get a descent haze free image) lenses I own go down to 320nm. Another issue on the IR side is lens hotspots.
I use a Lensbaby plastic optic for IR and it does well with no hotspot in the R72 to 87C filter range.
You might contact kolariviion and ask them if they have dealt with this style camera before, they are a wealth of information for IR conversions and lens hotspot database.
This image was shot with a plastic lens and Tiffen 87 IR filter.
Attached Images

08-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
As @photoptimist mentions the concern might be more the lens if you can actually access the sensor to remove the hot mirror.

I use a Lensbaby plastic optic for IR and it does well with no hotspot in the R72 to 87C filter range.

You might contact kolariviion and ask them if they have dealt with this style camera before, they are a wealth of information for IR conversions and lens hotspot database.

This image was shot with a plastic lens and Tiffen 87 IR filter.
I'm hoping the the sensor and hot mirror are the same size as a K20d ??

Lensbaby , they will not help me with a X-5,and I'm not sure the X-5 can that a filter on the front of the lens..

Thank's for the tip on Kolarvion, I'm going to drop them an email and see what they say..

The picture ?? Is it non Photoshoped ??

Thanks
DEM

08-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure about sensor size but think if you are doing an IR conversion you will be able to find the bandwidth filter you need to put in front of the sensor.
The only reason I can see for doing a FS is to have different IR possibilities with external filters, you probably wont have much luck doing UV with the stock lens.

The shot with the Lensbaby is just to give you and idea of how a plastic lens will work for IR. I think @photoptimist mentioned the X-5 as having a plastic lens.
If you can't fit an external filter on somehow then the best would be to choose the IR bandwidth you like and put that over the sensor.

Image is minimal PS/PP. I prefer the 87 as it is mostly monochrome but does have some browns and blues without channel swapping.

Are you wanting faux color or deep monochrome? If you cant use external filters then you should decide as it would be cumbersome to change later.
Does the X-5 have focus peaking? The EVF should work fine but focus peaking is a big help.
Also autofocus is off a bit and would need to be calibrated for the lens, again ask Kolari, I think there are shims that can be placed with the filter for the particular bandwidth you choose.