Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Have I missed something???

I was reading the other forum today, (something I haven't done for quite sometime.) There was talk about a new Pentax release of a KM. All I have seen on the Pentax web site is the release of the new K2000D and no mention of a KM release. Is the K2000D to be referred to as the KM???

From the specks I have read it's a beginners entry level DSLR at 10 MP with SR and weather proofing. Is this not what the K200 was all about? and now why 2 entry level cameras?

10-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It'll be K2000 in the US, K-m in the rest of the world.

So much for Pentax' unified naming. Let's go back to confusing the crap out of people for no reason!
10-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I was reading the other forum today, (something I haven't done for quite sometime.) There was talk about a new Pentax release of a KM. All I have seen on the Pentax web site is the release of the new K2000D and no mention of a KM release. Is the K2000D to be referred to as the KM???

From the specks I have read it's a beginners entry level DSLR at 10 MP with SR and weather proofing. Is this not what the K200 was all about? and now why 2 entry level cameras?
I think it is the K2000 in the USA, and the K-m in the civilized world, or some such.
10-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

So much for Pentax' unified naming. Let's go back to confusing the crap out of people for no reason!
Corporations to not make such decisions for no reason. The decision behind the dual naming is no doubt better reasoned than your ignorant post, Skippy.

10-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

The USA is the biggest gray market importer and supplier in the world. Naming a product specifically for the USA market makes sense for warranty purposes.
10-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
In the past 40 years I have seen Pentax do many different things, but Dual naming sounds a little off the wall. Pentax has now produced three beginners cameras and two advanced. Beginners being K100D (now off the market) K100D super (about to expire) the K200D (new beginners release last year) and now the K2000D (or the KM where ever you may be from) It may be because of the economic crunch for the most part, but some are saying it's because Pentax won't compete with a full frame sensor.
As for me I would rather see Pentax put their money into R&D for the next few years and give us another K1000 workhorse. It's about time all the camera manufactures find out that a camera is not like a car. Pentax knows this or they wouldn't have the backwards compatibility they enjoy now. With any other camera either the mounts change or the lens sensors wont work with out the latest body.
Every camera I have ever owned up until digital has served me well for years. I'm not a pro who can spend big bucks on equipment every year, but I am a consumer who wants to know that his camera will still be supported in service and parts in years to come.
10-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The USA is the biggest gray market importer and supplier in the world. Naming a product specifically for the USA market makes sense for warranty purposes.
Thank you for the explanation. I hadn't thought of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Corporations to not make such decisions for no reason. The decision behind the dual naming is no doubt better reasoned than your ignorant post, Skippy.
Tsk tsk, Mr. Slaphead. You can call people names in yo momma's house. We is all civilized people 'round these parts.
10-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #8

Not just cameras

The Australian Holden Commodore is marketed in the US as a Chevy Lumina.

The Holden Monaro is marketed as the Pontiac GTO

PK

10-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I take it you never look at our "News and Rumors" section. There have been threads aplenty about this.
10-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I take it you never look at our "News and Rumors" section. There have been threads aplenty about this.
I think that's why I entitled this post Have I missed something
10-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The News and Rumors section runs heavily toward wishful thinking, unfounded rumors, and pointless discussions about how many full-frame Pentax cameras could dance on the head of a pin. But every now and then it is worth your while to poke your head in the door and take a look at the subject lines.