Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sensor Shake/Cleaning

I've been looking to upgrading from my K-r, which I have had since 2010, specifically the K-70. One feature I've appreciated in the K-r is the sensor cleaning system. The Dust Alert allows me to see any dust which may have accumulated on the sensor, allowing activation of the sensor-shake mechanism, then reviewing the cleaned CMOS on a blank screen. However, this feature is absent on the K-70, the instructions recommending the use of a blower (of dry air, presumably), not touching the CMOS with a brush. The shutter-shake and visual pre and post checking feature has inexplicably disappeared from the K-S2, K-5II and IIa, K-30, K-50, K-70, KP and the FF K-1 II. Can anyone enlighten me why this is? Or is there some way of accessing that feature via some undocumented "back door" on those recent models?

Last edited by PENTAPSC; 08-28-2019 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the K-50 in my text
08-28-2019, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2

A lot of those cameras have the sensor shake dust removal, just not the automatic review images.

The KP and some higher end models have an ultrasonic system that in my experience works significantly better.

Yeah, just confirmed that the K70 has sensor shake dust removal, if that was what you were concerned about.

Last edited by selfnoise; 08-28-2019 at 10:07 AM.
08-28-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just set it to clean every time you turn on the camera. I have done that since the k-5 (maybe on the k-x as well). It works flawlessly and never need to worry or check for dust.
08-28-2019, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

TDLR, the original DR (Dust removal) system was noisy and less effective. DR II is almost completely silent and in use in current/high end bodies.

All Pentax cameras with SR have either DR or DR II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks, guys!
08-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, you can check for dust without extra help from the camera. Nonetheless, Dust Alert was a helpful and comfortable feature, and a brand differentiator to boot. In connection with the ultrasonic Dust Removal, it made the Pentax approach one of the most thorough in the industry. Please, Ricoh, can we have it back in the upcoming models, at least in the flagship ones? Glad my K-3 still has it.
08-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Shoot an image of a blue sky or white wall at a small aperture like f/22 and you will see if you actually need to do a sensor cleaning. Unless there is a lot of sticky stuff in the air when you are changing lenses, a blower will probably be all that is needed. I bought wet sensor cleaning swabs when I had my K-50 but haven't needed it with my KP or K-1 (Yet at least.)