Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #1

Who is gonna buy KP-J ?

I touch and use it at Ricoh imaging gallery Shinjuku, feels so nice. Nothing different with normal KP, but feels good actually.
By the way, I don’t know if KP-J accept order outside Japan..?

08-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Just wish I could get the wooden grip, don't need another camera.
08-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I very much doubt it will ever be sold officially anywhere outside Japan. So it's sort of academic for most of us.

I already have a KP, so no in any case.
08-31-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

eBay, my friends.

08-31-2019, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think a better question might be...who has already bought one?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2019, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

I agree that the KP J feels and looks really nice, especially the dark blue one. It’s the nicest of the colors they’ve made in my opinion.

I’m quite tempted by it because some of my lenses are silver and the blue will look better than black with them. The reason I won’t is because I just bought a GR III and don’t want to spend on camera stuff again for a while.

If you are serious about getting it, I recommend buying from Ricoh direct, either online or in Shinjuku. If you are a family club member, you should get 13% reward points and it will have a 3-year warranty. I bought my GR III this way and it was by far the best deal. They also did some extra stuff as “service”, but that might just be my good luck.

Another deal I saw last week was at Fujiya Camera in Nakano. If you bought the KP J at the same time as the DA 20-40 Limited, they would discount 15,000 yen. I don’t know if this still stands.
08-31-2019, 04:23 AM   #7
HYS
Veteran Member

Not me! I love my K-3, but I won’t bus ani Pentax Camera until the firm will show keeping pace with time.

08-31-2019, 05:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm still considering a K-P as a replacement for my K-1. which I'm finding really heavy, and I just carried it over 27 km with lenses in a waterproof case. It's all about timing. If I decide to go that route and the K-P J is available I'll almost certainly go that route. If on the other hand a new K-3 type model is available by then, that may be more attractive.

Advantages to the K-P over a K-3

PIxel shift
Accelerator chip, same high ISO noise as a K-1.
Tilting back screen.
Improved AF

All the current advances in Pentax technology are present in the K-P.

Last edited by normhead; 08-31-2019 at 05:27 AM.
08-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I agree that the KP J feels and looks really nice, especially the dark blue one. It’s the nicest of the colors they’ve made in my opinion.

I’m quite tempted by it because some of my lenses are silver and the blue will look better than black with them. The reason I won’t is because I just bought a GR III and don’t want to spend on camera stuff again for a while.

If you are serious about getting it, I recommend buying from Ricoh direct, either online or in Shinjuku. If you are a family club member, you should get 13% reward points and it will have a 3-year warranty. I bought my GR III this way and it was by far the best deal. They also did some extra stuff as “service”, but that might just be my good luck.

Another deal I saw last week was at Fujiya Camera in Nakano. If you bought the KP J at the same time as the DA 20-40 Limited, they would discount 15,000 yen. I don’t know if this still stands.
So many ways to buy, I can go Kitamura camera or Yodobashi Camera which offers me Lower price or Same point, few days ago Shinjuku's staff told me that they also offer 36 moths zero interest Installment payment. sounds very nice especially for a student as me.
The true problem is I already own a silver KP, and this KP-J has no new inside, if I bought it what can I actually Improve? That's a question, I'm not a collector of camera
08-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm still considering a K-P as a replacement for my K-1. which I'm finding really heavy, and I just carried it over 27 km with lenses in a waterproof case. It's all about timing. If I decide to go that route and the K-P J is available I'll almost certainly go that route. If on the other hand a new K-3 type model is available by then, that may be more attractive.
I was fortunate enough to find someone to loan me a K-1 for about a month. I made the decision not to go that route because of weight and bulk. The body is not too bad but the lenses and the body combined were too much of a change from my K-3. The KP is interesting. But I like the dual card slots and I like the large sized battery. I don't love grips so while that could work it seems like a poor choice. I keep hoping for a K-3 style replacement.
08-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
So many ways to buy, I can go Kitamura camera or Yodobashi Camera which offers me Lower price or Same point, few days ago Shinjuku's staff told me that they also offer 36 moths zero interest Installment payment. sounds very nice especially for a student as me.
The true problem is I already own a silver KP, and this KP-J has no new inside, if I bought it what can I actually Improve? That's a question, I'm not a collector of camera
Well, the KP J is the kind of item you buy with your heart, not your head. It won't have any functional benefit over the KP you have, so it's just a question of whether the pleasure of owning a limited model is going to be worth the extra cost. It sounds like you don't need it.

By the way, my point about the Ricoh store being a better deal is not that it is the cheapest way to buy - it's not. My point is that you get some extras, like the 3 year warranty. If I'm going to be an early adopter, I find it best to buy from them direct. If I were buying a standard KP now, it would be much better to buy from Kitamura or another store, because they have good discounts after some months or years.

Here is the deal from the Ricoh Store:
- You pay 3,200 yen to join the family club
- They give you 3,000 yen of Ricoh Store points (So you are only spending 200 yen to join really)
- You pay full price for the camera
- It comes with a 3-year warranty, rather than the standard 1 year
- You get 13% points back in store points (have to spend with Ricoh)
- This might be for the GR III only, but I got a slip of paper offering a one-time free sensor cleaning service in the box
- As a Family Club member, they send you a magazine once every 3 months
- As a store customer, you will get a news email from Ricoh every Friday (not so interesting) and occasionally, this email asks you to answer surveys about preferences for future products (very interesting)

This is all limited to Japan residents, in case anyone is wondering. I don't know what the deal is elsewhere.
08-31-2019, 08:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well, the KP J is the kind of item you buy with your heart, not your head. It won't have any functional benefit over the KP you have, so it's just a question of whether the pleasure of owning a limited model is going to be worth the extra cost. It sounds like you don't need it.

By the way, my point about the Ricoh store being a better deal is not that it is the cheapest way to buy - it's not. My point is that you get some extras, like the 3 year warranty. If I'm going to be an early adopter, I find it best to buy from them direct. If I were buying a standard KP now, it would be much better to buy from Kitamura or another store, because they have good discounts after some months or years.

Here is the deal from the Ricoh Store:
- You pay 3,200 yen to join the family club
- They give you 3,000 yen of Ricoh Store points (So you are only spending 200 yen to join really)
- You pay full price for the camera
- It comes with a 3-year warranty, rather than the standard 1 year
- You get 13% points back in store points (have to spend with Ricoh)
- This might be for the GR III only, but I got a slip of paper offering a one-time free sensor cleaning service in the box
- As a Family Club member, they send you a magazine once every 3 months
- As a store customer, you will get a news email from Ricoh every Friday (not so interesting) and occasionally, this email asks you to answer surveys about preferences for future products (very interesting)

This is all limited to Japan residents, in case anyone is wondering. I don't know what the deal is elsewhere.
Thanks for detail, I will read it seriously after lunch.
I’m already a premium family member.
It’s interesting for talking with another Japanese in English, or a little wired? (´⊙ω⊙`)
08-31-2019, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

No IR remote was a deal breaker on release and remains so.
09-01-2019, 02:46 AM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
Thanks for detail, I will read it seriously after lunch.
I’m already a premium family member.
It’s interesting for talking with another Japanese in English, or a little wired? (´⊙ω⊙`)
Actually, I’m from Britain, but I’ve lived in Tokyo for a long time. Your written English is better than my written Japanese, I think.
09-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #15

Original Poster
Actually, I’m from Britain, but I’ve lived in Tokyo for a long time. Your written English is better than my written Japanese, I think.
God save the Queen(^O^☆♪
🇬🇧🤝🇯🇵