Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #31

According to the USPTO the Takumar trademark in the US is "dead". Last registered owner was Asahi Opitcal and expired in 2009.

According to this website (international/japan)
j-platpat

Takumar is currently registered to Ricoh Imaging with a renewal date in 2022.

(511)(512)[Classes of goods and services and designated goods or designated services] [Similar group code (reference)]
9 The camera for lenses for cameras, cameras, and camerases, the reflector for optical machines and apparatuses, triangular drinking glasses, prism, telescopes, microscopes, an eyepiece, an object lens, a lens

Now it seems that from the above site registration #0377721 for A O C is held by Hoya Corporation and is still active through Nov 10, 2019 or May 19, 2020. I'm not certain of the date because Hoya filed for a reclassification that shows a registration date of May 19, 2010.

(511)(512)[Classes of goods and services and designated goods or designated services] [Similar group code (reference)]
1 Chemical compositions for developing [printing and enlarging photographs], unexposed photographic films  
5 Bracelets for medical purposes 
8 Tweezers 
9 Laboratory apparatus and instruments (except for scientific models and specimens), optical machines and apparatus, test tubes, telescopes, microscopes, time and date stamping machines, time clocks [time recording devices], measuring or testing machines and instruments (except for the thing for astronomy), generosity **, photographic machines and apparatus, cinematographic machines and apparatus, a movie instrument, binoculars, heavens spectacles [eyeglasses and goggles], spectacles [eyeglasses and goggles], an arithmetic machine  
10 Dropping pipettes for medical purposes, medical ice bag holders, cotton swabs for medical use, medical apparatus and instruments (except for horseshoeing apparatus and instruments, electric medical machinery-and-electric-appliances hearing aids, and pregnancy sash bands for kimono [Obi]), the instrument for surgery, dentistry tools  
12 Wheelchairs 
16 Abacus [Soloban] 

I'm with Monochrome on this one: who cares what name is on it as long as it is a K-mount camera. After all Ricoh in the past made K-mount cameras branded as "Ricoh". Maybe we will see "Takumar" branded cameras and lenses in the near future.

Do you really want a Takumar™ triagular drinking glass?

09-06-2019, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Of course the next APS-C will be called the Pentax Kπ (or KPi) !
09-07-2019, 04:26 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
Of course the next APS-C will be called the Pentax Kπ (or KPi) !
If we get two new models, and one of them offers 2 SD card slots it should be called the Kτ (K-Tau)
09-07-2019, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

How about a line of cameras that have no letters or numbers to identify them - just a symbol on the front panel that has no relation to any language and can't be spoken aloud.

Then to drive the point home that these cameras are for the visually-oriented photographer, there should be no video or sound recording.

09-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That AOc didn't ring any bells at my door. So if a name change is coming then Takumar would be fine too.
"AOC" would definitely be a controversial name in the US.
I'm guessing "Takumar" would sound too Oriental.
09-07-2019, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
How about a line of cameras that have no letters or numbers to identify them - just a symbol on the front panel that has no relation to any language and can't be spoken aloud.

Then to drive the point home that these cameras are for the visually-oriented photographer, there should be no video or sound recording.
"The cameras formerly known as Pentax"
09-07-2019, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the point (originally put forward by Mistral75) is that the Name usage and promotion agreement with Hoya expires in November. To continue jointly using Pentax the Agreement between Hoya and Ricoh must be renewed.

If Ricoh actually does make a name change for the brand they’ll have to spend money on. . . . . . Marketing.

09-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #38
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Ricoh actually does make a name change for the brand they’ll have to spend money on. . . . . . Marketing.
Unless they call it Ricoh.
09-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I don't have any firm opinion on what name Pentax cameras should have in the future.

On one hand, I really do like the name Pentax, also the previous Ashai name and 'Takumar' does warm the cockles of my heart a bit...as these were the first lenses I used and I was always more than happy with their performance. I do like these brands, primarily because I've used Pentax equipment for 51 years, which a bit more than half of the existence of Asahi/Pentax/Takumar etc. And it's a huge percentage of my life...as although I'm definitely an oldie...I'm still just a geezer...not quite in antediluviandom ...yet.

So if you've used a certain product for so many years, you kind of get used to the familiar and the Pentax name is familiar to me. I don't really want to see the name Pentax go, although I did survive when the name Takumar wasn't used any more a number of years ago, but then again I was younger and more resilient than.

Names come and go. I've had an Oldsmobile car...and a Pontiac car..and a Mercury..and a Jawa, CZ, Matchless (motorcycles these last 3) and these proud names have all fallen off the edge of the world. If the name Pentax were to go, I suppose I could live with it.

I would hope though...as other have said...that the K Mount would live on, that K mount lenses would continue to be made and that Ricoh continues to do, what they have done since they took over...develop and crank out camera equipment that is worthy of the long, proud Pentax heritage, even if they decide that the name has to go.

I like to think that I don't have any literary pretensions but having said that I believe Shakespeare said it best when he wrote..".A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

I would paraphrase Bill, by saying ...a K mount by any other name would work as sweet.

Apologies to W. Shakespeare.
09-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #40
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
"The cameras formerly known as Pentax"
Maybe I should try to trademark the phrase "formerly known as" ------ just look at my signature
09-07-2019, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Unless they call it Ricoh.
Then they will have to spend lots of money on marketing - otherwise people will purchase a camera but expect a printer to be delivered.
09-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I think bringing back the Takumar nomenclature isn't beyond reasonable. It wouldn't be the first time it had been revived, but maybe this time they could do it justice.

I'd expect Takumar to be a lens line however. Perhaps a small line of high quality modern manual optics? Maybe a bit out there but who knows.
09-07-2019, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm guessing "Takumar" would sound too Oriental.
You mean like "Fuji" or "Mamiya"?
09-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You mean like "Fuji" or "Mamiya"?
Or Nikon lol.
09-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think bringing back the Takumar nomenclature isn't beyond reasonable. It wouldn't be the first time it had been revived, but maybe this time they could do it justice.

That name is still tainted from its last revival:

Takumar-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database