Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Not all of the lenses from the "revival" were bad. Some were in fact optically very good like the 135mm, which was just a budget version of the Pentax-A 135mm f2.8.

Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It will out perform any "real" Takumar 135 in terms of sharpness.

Plus I don't think anyone really remembers the budget Takumars like people remember the old 50s-70s tanks.

09-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is a long-established name, which I recognized when I bought my first Pentax, the ME Super being shown in a display case next to Nikon and Canon models in a camera shop back in 1982. It would be a mistake to dismiss such a name.

As to naming new bodies, Pentax has never been very good at that over the years. It should be very simple. The next compact pro-grade body after the KP would be the KQ. They'd probably skip "KR" due to the fact a K-r has already existed, even though with a small "r". If they would just start at the alphabetical or numerical beginning, they could just progress to the next usable number or letter like Nikon does. But a new concept model usually starts somewhere in the middle, or at the end where options for future progressions are few, often going backwards. Why start the new concept model with K-x, which is at the end, then go backwards to K-r? Then forward to K-S1? Then go into a completely different concept model using again just a 2-letter name, the KP, again in the middle and now even fewer options for a progression due to the K-x, K-r, K-S1 and K-S2? Even the K-1 FF model is confusing, being that there was also the K-3 APS-C model, which was preceded by the K-5!!

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-08-2019 at 07:02 PM.
09-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think bringing back the Takumar nomenclature isn't beyond reasonable. It wouldn't be the first time it had been revived, but maybe this time they could do it justice.

I'd expect Takumar to be a lens line however. Perhaps a small line of high quality modern manual optics? Maybe a bit out there but who knows.

I've always thought that the DA 20-40mm was quite Takumar-like in its visual styling, and it's metal bodied too. So maybe a range of similarly styled metal bodied primes, smaller than the oversized and over-corrected recent lenses like the new 50mm/1.4, and designed with beautiful rendering as the major goal. I'd be happy for them to use the cherished name Takumar for lenses like that.

As for cameras, why not specify the sensor format in the name? K-A1 for the next APS-C, K-F2 for the next FF (using 2 to differentiate it from the K-1). And if they decide to release a mirrorless, start with the K-M1.

Edit: Oops, just noticed that somebody already suggested something similar for the camera names.
09-08-2019, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've always thought that the DA 20-40mm was quite Takumar-like in its visual styling, and it's metal bodied too. So maybe a range of similarly styled metal bodied primes, smaller than the oversized and over-corrected recent lenses like the new 50mm/1.4, and designed with beautiful rendering as the major goal. I'd be happy for them to use the cherished name Takumar for lenses like that.

As for cameras, why not specify the sensor format in the name? K-A1 for the next APS-C, K-F2 for the next FF (using 2 to differentiate it from the K-1). And if they decide to release a mirrorless, start with the K-M1.

Edit: Oops, just noticed that somebody already suggested something similar for the camera names.
Yap ,me well almost, so simple for us in english but In japanese, I am not sure that make sense

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2019 at 21:27 ----------

For Pentax name , Ricoh has still the right to use it after 2020 as said here on Pentax Forum.
Dispelling a rumor: on Ricoh's use of the Pentax name - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com

09-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I wouldn't really care what the new cameras will be called. They can start from letter A of the alphabet to start a new beginning for the 100 years. Now that would be 26 new models in the next 26 years. That means that Pentax will be committed for a new beginning and another 26 years. Well, I'm just thinking out loud. Actually, I don't think any of us will be able to guess how the new cameras' will be called. But it's fun reading everyone's post.
09-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't remember, did anybody think it could be called K-P II? Is K-3 III still in the race?
I guess we're gonna find out tomorrow, aren't we?
09-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #52
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone guessed:
Pentax K-4K
...’cause it’ll do 4K video, right?

09-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Pentax C-1 or KC

Last edited by Zooland; 09-24-2019 at 08:44 AM.
09-24-2019, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Zooland is right...

...it will be branded as the Pentax KC...

...I can't reveal my sources....

…. so please don't ask
09-24-2019, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #55
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

... Pentax KC? and the Sundance Kid? :P
09-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think there's a lot of room for 2-letter camera names, like the KP.
Thinking the same thing. I believe that the name will not be K-3 III, but something else with two letters. Maybe KC?
09-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

It is Ritax KPM-2. It looks more like KP than K-3. Also, thanks to stubborn Ricoh visionaires it must not have tilt screen because GR does not have one either. But image accelerator remains. So it will be worst of both worlds.

It seems that two compeletely differently thinking teams have tried to combine their stuff to create a new camera.
09-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #58
Veteran Member

K3 SE, KP SE (special edition), or K3P

Envoyé de mon Mi 9T en utilisant Tapatalk
09-24-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
... Pentax KC? and the Sundance Kid? :P
The knock out name would be KO. When they release the titanium version, it's a TKO.
09-24-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The knock out name would be KO. When they release the titanium version, it's a TKO.
KFC would be a tasty name.