Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There were also two new variants of the Pentax KP. The Pentax KP J with the wooden grip, and the Pentax KP IR for professional infrared photography.

09-10-2019, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still have heaps of Pentax gear, but recently purchased a Panasonic G9, like the OP for 4K video, and for business.

Doesn't mean I don't like Pentax, but business is about having the right tool for the right job.
09-10-2019, 04:17 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many Pentaxians shoot with other systems as well. There's plenty of love to share around.
09-10-2019, 04:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Of course we are open to other than Pentax brands, there are plenty of examples in the growing non-Pentax section.

09-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Of course we are open to other than Pentax brands, there are plenty of examples in the growing non-Pentax section.
... and throughout all of the forums, for that matter, where owners of all brands are most welcome to join in discussion
09-10-2019, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Selling your K3 for the K1 would at least offset the cost. You can find used ones starting at about 1000 dollars in the US.
The K1 is still the same great camera it was a year ago
09-10-2019, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Quite recently we seem to have had a greater-than-usual number of posts questioning Ricoh / Pentax, its position in the market place, direction regarding DSLR vs mirrorless, future of the brand, etc. and it gets quite repetitive and tiresome. As a result, some folks here can get a little defensive towards, and dismissive of, those shooting other brands, but that's not how we mean to be or should be...
Shooting other brands isn't the issue here (I'm shooting another brand myself, even though that's Ricoh); but the constant dissing of Pentax/Ricoh, and the constant mirrorless propaganda - which, you said it well, got repetitive and tiresome.
I get it, Pentax is not good (fast, etc) enough for some people - who would or had jumped ship. Fine. In other circumstances I would've done it myself (as much as I like Pentax). But the ones left have the right to enjoy their choice.

There's this guy on the other forum, JohnAG (or something like that); he's a Canon shooter with no Pentax equipment yet he's also posting on the Pentax section. I don't remember ever seeing a Pentax-dissing post from him. Since there's no attack, there's no reason for defense - it's as simple as that.

Sorry for the off-topic. Now, to answer the OP's question - in 1 year, I'm afraid Pentax' state is pretty much as you left it: they're still working on the APS-C flagship, and the D FA* 85mm and 70-200 f/4 are still unreleased.
We had the DA* 11-18mm - excellent lens; and new, HD batches of the FA 35mm and DA 10-17 (latter modified for better FF compatibility). The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 was already on the market, one year ago.

09-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course you can. Welcome back

Quite recently we seem to have had a greater-than-usual number of posts questioning Ricoh / Pentax, its position in the market place, direction regarding DSLR vs mirrorless, future of the brand, etc. and it gets quite repetitive and tiresome. As a result, some folks here can get a little defensive towards, and dismissive of, those shooting other brands, but that's not how we mean to be or should be...
I see, and I agree it could be tiresome but I thought I would ask a genuine question, being lazy going thru all the thread...or being too busy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's outstanding. I've already taken mine to London, Le Mans, Paris and Alaska.
I haven't used my Theta much yet, but it seems excellent in my tests.
The HD DA 10-17 is even more fun than the original - the removable hood makes it a viable option on the K-1, both as a (nearly) circular and rectangular fisheye.

And I forgot the GR III. It's awesome.
GRIII is on my list, boorwed it from a friend for a couple hours and it's been a great little camera !

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Selling your K3 for the K1 would at least offset the cost. You can find used ones starting at about 1000 dollars in the US.
The K1 is still the same great camera it was a year ago
Well, I can't buy any Non related to business gear for now, the video aspect of things is really expensive and I have to focus on that first.
But Ill never sell my K3 lol too much personal relationship with that baby ! in fact the next CD release featuring one of my pics was taken with the K3 and 50-135mm, that was a special combo.
09-10-2019, 05:42 AM - 4 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

For my part, I've taken about 20,000 new pictures, and added 2,000 keepers to my collections. That's all the "newness" I'm looking for right now.

Last edited by normhead; 09-10-2019 at 07:28 AM.
09-10-2019, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Despite the angst expressed by some, Pentax seems to be maintaining a slow but steady approach. Without pouring over financial reports etc., my gut feels like they are balancing overhead with releases - refreshing lenses, enhancing existing models, developing new gear slowly, but with purpose. Have a hunch they are going to be a survivor.
09-10-2019, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have decided to be philosophical about the next Pentax release. It will be available a lot sooner than the dream camera which will make all my photographs look totally awesome.
09-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For my part, I've taken about 20,000 new pictures, and added 2,000 keepers to my collections. That's all the "newness" I', looking for right now.
That's all that matters !

Im using an adapter for my Fuji Camera, this way I can use old Pentax lenses when I feel to !
09-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For my part, I've taken about 20,000 new pictures, and added 2,000 keepers to my collections. That's all the "newness" I', looking for right now.
Owwww I think I was on a 1 : 50 ratio or so on keepers.
09-10-2019, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

... and throughout all of the forums, for that matter, where owners of all brands are most welcome to join in discussion
Absolutely, absolutely, I can see what you mean very well
09-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Owwww I think I was on a 1 : 50 ratio or so on keepers.
Keeper for the year is different from keepers I won't even get rid of eventually. I have 2000, items left in my library... I pass on my 5 star images to next years library, I have 242 images I've rated 5 star, and even then, many of those are part of a historical record and not really important as images. In the end, if I get one really good image a month, I'm happy.