Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2019, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Well, I can't buy any Non related to business gear for now, the video aspect of things is really expensive and I have to focus on that first.
Well if you don't have any funds to buy anything non-Fuji related...... and you create a thread asking about Pentax releases in the last year (which I'd think you would know there weren't any in terms of new bodies, Ricoh only releases when they have something really meaningful to release) - which it was already sort of understood from the first post, that you would have no intention of buying anyway... And to top it off you explain in detail why you left Pentax.... then I think you shouldn't really be surprised if people get a bit defensive.

"Hi ex, I'm here with my new girlfriend, just to come and see what you look like these days... oh my, you haven't changed a bit :sigh:... oh and let me tell you how awesome my new girlfriend is, and why I left you for her"

I mean I don't take things that seriously, and I'm just joking about it... it's all just gear, who cares, if you need it for your work you get the best tool that you can afford for that particular type of job, it's as simple as that...

09-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Keeper for the year is different from keepers I won't even get rid of eventually. I have 2000, items left in my library... I pass on my 5 star images to next years library, I have 242 images I've rated 5 star, and even then, many of those are part of a historical record and not really important as images. IN the ned, if I get one really good image a month, I'm happy.
I think that is the most important. Over time I feel that only the images I printed (single print or in a photobook) are the once that are important. The rest......well just digital leftovers.
09-10-2019, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think that is the most important. Over time I feel that only the images I printed (single print or in a photobook) are the once that are important. The rest......well just digital leftovers.
I just love to leave digital slide shows on various themes running on my 55 inch HD TV. Many of those folders are 600 images and counting. So I have a use for the none printed images. MY goal is to have each of the folders, Day to day, Algonquin Park, Flowers and Trees, etc (9 in all) run for 3 hours without repeating. That will be approx. 4000 images in each folder.

I'd like to have one per day at that level. For my canoe trip folder, I have images going back 15 years of the trips, and when my old canoeing buddies come up a couple times a year , I leave them running on the TV while we sit and talk and drink beer. But sometimes i just put them on as background images to augment the background music while I'm doing something else.

If you don't set goals for yourself, you never know when you've reached them.

---------- Post added 09-10-19 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
"Hi ex, I'm here with my new girlfriend, just to come and see what you look like these days... oh my, you haven't changed a bit :sigh:... oh and let me tell you how awesome my new girlfriend is, and why I left you for her"
Doesn't everyone do that?
09-10-2019, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well if you don't have any funds to buy anything non-Fuji related...... and you create a thread asking about Pentax releases in the last year (which I'd think you would know there weren't any in terms of new bodies, Ricoh only releases when they have something really meaningful to release) - which it was already sort of understood from the first post, that you would have no intention of buying anyway... And to top it off you explain in detail why you left Pentax.... then I think you shouldn't really be surprised if people get a bit defensive.

I mean I don't take things that seriously, and I'm just joking about it... it's all just gear, who cares, if you need it for your work you get the best tool that you can afford for that particular type of job, it's as simple as that...
Wow....it seems you're a bit nervous.

Im a member of this board for the last 6 or 7 years, subscriber and even a contributor. There was a time where I was checking the Pentax forum every day, now theses days are gone because not enough free time to spend on computer related stuff.
Tell me where should I ask then ?

I dont see me as being agressive at all, Im just trying to get info from the best place on earth about Pentax upcoming stuff...
Chill man, I LOVE PENTAX.

09-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
doesn't everyone do that?
09-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #36

I showed my pentax 40mm limited today to the college photo lecturer. Eyebrows were raised. And he forgot his white balance card. He used mine instead.
09-10-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
I showed my pentax 40mm limited today to the college photo lecturer. Eyebrows were raised. And he forgot his white balance card. He used mine instead.
If only it was the xs.

09-10-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Im a member of this board for the last 6 or 7 years, subscriber and even a contributor. There was a time where I was checking the Pentax forum every day, now theses days are gone because not enough free time to spend on computer related stuff.

I dont see me as being agressive at all, Im just trying to get info from the best place on earth about Pentax upcoming stuff...
Nothing wrong, as others have said, with having more than one system. This is quite common, actually, because each system has certain advantages to offer. I understand your post. You give the very understandable reasons for your getting into your Fuji gear. Especially that your choice has been for business purposes. Then you express you've been missing the K-1 you've given up, reveal that you still have some other Pentax gear, including a K-3, and are wondering what has been going on with Pentax. I don't see anything here other than a compliment to Pentax.

I have known of numerous photographers over the years who bought a camera body of a different system than their main one, simply because of a particular special lens they wanted to use! I've had really no need for getting a K-1 because I'm getting very satisfying results with the APS-C equipment I have. But I also have some outstanding FF lenses I've long been using for 35mm film, which goad me towards getting a FF body.

In your case, you already have a K-3, an excellent body. I certainly understand why you keep it. Perhaps now the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 intrigues you. I can understand that also. It is an outstanding lens. For a far less expensive option, however, I recently acquired a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC which I've been using on my KP. The reduced price from B&H was irresistible. I have been pleasantly surprised at its fine performance, as well as its very good build quality and design. Not quite the magnitude of speed and construction of the Pentax DA* 11-18mm, but it has its own advantages. Either one is better for my needs than carrying a DFA 15-30mm f/2.8 on a K-1 body, at a fraction of the size, weight, and cost!

I truly believe the new APS-C Pentax flagship body will eventually appear, and it will prove to be a definite step forward and worth the wait.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-10-2019 at 01:06 PM.
09-10-2019, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Anything new ?

One thing, I've heard that Fuji is doomed.

I almost bought a Fuji myself in March/19.

Compared it to a Ricoh GR ll and chose the GR, but the little Fuji is a nice camera.
09-10-2019, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

The K-1 II is an excellent Pentax camera, in case you are interested. I have one and it is fantastic.
09-10-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just love all my Pentaxes...I don't worry about camera envy. I also don't use my DSLR for video. I use a small Samsung 4K round video camera that fits in my camera kit bag (it's only slightly wider than a lens. Produces great video. My stable of Pentax cameras take the stills that I enjoy and reliably post here, elsewhere and (occasionally) get paid for, A customer or an admirer of my work doesn't ever ask, that Pentax is _______________(fill in the blank). Nope, they say "Wow that looks great". Thanks, etc.

I know there are faster bodies out there, more expensive bodies, etc. I also know that when I have the Pentax in my hand, the ergonomics is spot on, the DSLR controls are easy to decipher and the results are uniformly superb. In fact, one of my favorite bodies is still my K-5ii--the 16mp sensor in that camera is so sharp on the color saturation and contrast. It works flawlessly and delivers long battery life, excellent low light picture density and prodiuces images that still rival my 24mp cameras.
09-11-2019, 03:03 AM - 3 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a whole lot of us know what the future holds. There is (eventually) a new flagship APS-C SLR coming. There is a road map that has lenses like a DFA 70-200 f4, 20-ish mm prime and 35mm f1.4/85mm f1.4 on it. Timing on everything is a bit slow and the denizens of the Forum aren't always happy with the wait.

On the bright side, Pentax cameras and lenses, even older ones, do continue to work and take good photos. Take a stroll through some of the photo threads and you'll have a more upbeat experience than the one on the Rumors section.
09-11-2019, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

I don't think you understood me at all... not mad at all. You were baffled at some of the responses you got but you never considered how you might have come across to some people. So I just said it in a slightly (or very ) exaggerated way, and perhaps it was not as humorous as I intended to, but I made sure the three laughing faces were there to make sure people knew it was intended as being light-hearted.

I'll repeat myself... it's just gear, use what you need to get the job done. Cheers.
09-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not a whole lot of us know what the future holds. There is (eventually) a new flagship APS-C SLR coming. There is a road map that has lenses like a DFA 70-200 f4, 20-ish mm prime and 35mm f1.4/85mm f1.4 on it. Timing on everything is a bit slow and the denizens of the Forum aren't always happy with the wait..
I believe there is a 24/1.4 too.....
09-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I believe there is a 24/1.4 too.....
The thing is, what I have is good, to excellent.... I simply don't understand the impatience. It's not like I can't shoot while waiting. I do look for a 24 mm lens in the marketplace, but they tend to be rather expensive, and I'd rather just wait and continue to use my zooms, which are excellent. I saw an FA 20-35 second hand at KEH a few years ago for $350. Unfortunately it was before I started accumulating FF lenses. It's the only lens out there I'd even be interested in right now, but it's out there if I want to pay the big bucks. For me it's not about stuff not being available, it's about people not wanting the stuff that is available. I can only entertain such pettiness for so long.

Last edited by normhead; 09-12-2019 at 06:46 AM.