Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2019, 02:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Left the game a year ago - What's the news about Pentax products ?

Hi all,

As a long time Pentax user (9 years) and even if I went the Mirrorless way with Fuji APSC about a year ago, Im still very attached to this brand.
I was looking for some info on latest updates about bodies and lenses but couldnt find any thread about it.
It's probably dissiminated among many threads and Im sorry if this is covered somewhere but can someone tell me whats up with the brand ?

when I left last october there were rumors about at least :

APSC flagship
85mm /F1.4
70/200/ /F4

Im just curious and I sincerly hope there are some good news on the Pentax front, I've kept some of my FF lenses and I might buy a FF Pentax camera again at some point.

Thanks for your input.

09-10-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Same. Nothing new. Hope you enjoy your fuji.
09-10-2019, 03:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Im still very attached to this brand
Really?

I've kept some of my FF lenses and I might buy a FF Pentax camera again at some point.
You can still buy back a K1 new for about the same price as you sold yours used (if I understand correctly).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-10-2019 at 03:39 AM.
09-10-2019, 03:22 AM - 6 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA*11-18 and Theta Z1 have been released. The DA10-17 Fisheye and FA35/2.0 have had a HD coating and external design refresh.
I might have missed a couple of others.

Plus we're a year closer to all the new products

09-10-2019, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Besides the above, hats and stickers with the old AOC logo on them. I think there's been some D-FA* 85 f1.4 non-functional prototypes shown at shows but it's been a while. Ricoh seems to want to knock things out of the park regarding image quality lately based on the D-FA* 50 f1.4's performance.

It's been pretty quiet.

Fuji seems pretty appealing for APC-S bodies. Lots of funky manual glass seems to be popping up in X-mount.
09-10-2019, 03:31 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Hope you enjoy your fuji.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Really?
C'mon now, guys...
09-10-2019, 03:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ricoh purchased Pentax, made a Pentax K1 thinking they were going to see a significant regain of market share. They designed the K1 to be the best value for still photography, with unique features such as best in class sensor dynamic range, geo-logging, built in level, built in compass, astro-tracer, shake reduction, horizon correction, pixel shift, composition adjust, composite exposure, built in intervalometer, automatic dark frame substraction, exposure and depth of field simulation, electronic shutter for 30% off the price of other brands that don't even offer those features. When Ricoh saw that customers are switching to other brands offering less for a higher price, they were puzzled, they decided to invest their money for the automotive business customers.

It's a weird statement.
I bought a new K1 soon after release, enjoyed every piece of it for 2 years. The IQ is outstanding for the money and it delivers big time.

I bought a new Fuji X-T3, enjoy every piece of it's technology for a year now. The IQ is outstanding for the money and it delivers big time. What made me switch to Fuji is that I work more and more on Videos (getting paid I mean) and Pentax was not even an option.

What I mean really is that both cameras delivers incredible IQ, and I do miss the Astrotracer fonction sometimes (I never really used PS because it was too cumbersome to proceed the images with softwares), but I was convinced to go the Mirrorless way when I tried both Sony and Fuji for a few weeks each system.
For my need it was the way to go and Pentax never really told their customers that they will engage ressources that way.
So I made a decision, based on my business, and I dont regret it.

But as a personal photographer I wish I still had a K1 to shoot let's say landscapes !

Also I was skeptical about Pentax brand in the future, I had to make a move business wise and there was no Pentax option for me.

09-10-2019, 03:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really?
Yes really, why ?
09-10-2019, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Everyone’s waiting for November 27, the 100 year anniversary of ASAHI Pentax. There are rumours but nothing has been confirmed.
09-10-2019, 03:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*11-18 and Theta Z1 have been released. The DA10-17 Fisheye and FA35/2.0 have had a HD coating and external design refresh.
I might have missed a couple of others.

Plus we're a year closer to all the new products
Thank you. oh yeah the DA* 11-18 seems a very good lens, I still got a K3 btw.
09-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Everyone’s waiting for November 27, the 100 year anniversary of ASAHI Pentax. There are rumours but nothing has been confirmed.
Ill check the news then, thanks.
09-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes really, why ?
You answer the question yourself above. You like Pentax but you liked Fuji more, so go Fuji.
09-10-2019, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You answer the question yourself above. You like Pentax but you liked Fuji more, so go Fuji.
And so...I can't be attached to the Pentax brand because I went Fuji ?
I've spent so many days traveling with my Pentax cameras Ill ever be attached to this brand.
09-10-2019, 03:59 AM - 5 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And so...I can't be attached to the Pentax brand because I went Fuji ?
Of course you can. Welcome back

Quite recently we seem to have had a greater-than-usual number of posts questioning Ricoh / Pentax, its position in the market place, direction regarding DSLR vs mirrorless, future of the brand, etc. and it gets quite repetitive and tiresome. As a result, some folks here can get a little defensive towards, and dismissive of, those shooting other brands, but that's not how we mean to be or should be...
09-10-2019, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. oh yeah the DA* 11-18 seems a very good lens
It's outstanding. I've already taken mine to London, Le Mans, Paris and Alaska.
I haven't used my Theta much yet, but it seems excellent in my tests.
The HD DA 10-17 is even more fun than the original - the removable hood makes it a viable option on the K-1, both as a (nearly) circular and rectangular fisheye.

And I forgot the GR III. It's awesome.