Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by h.butz Quote
Who does Pentax monochrome conversions?
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
One person over in the astro group recently had this done to their K-5iis and said they had it done at Spencer's Camera. I'm not really sure what this all entails and if it is what you are after but seems like it might be.
Looks like Spencer's may well be the place. They do Pentax, though I am not sure they do Bayer filter stripping.

https://www.spencerscamera.com/full-spectrum-cameras.cfm

Steve

09-11-2019, 04:21 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do not recommend Spencer's, from past experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Looks like Spencer's may well be the place. They do Pentax, though I am not sure they do Bayer filter stripping.

Full Spectrum Cameras :: Spencers Camera

Steve

---------- Post added 09-11-19 at 07:24 AM ----------

Maxmax was kind enough to respond, Sorry, but I don't work on Pentax cameras anymore. The last number I have opened had numerous hardwired connections to the main PCB that made it difficult to get to the sensor without a lot of extra work.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Then I'm not sure why people would choose not to work on some brands of cameras, sony sensors are pretty standard across the range. Disassembling different cameras is a cakewalk compared to stripping the filters.

Personally what I'd do is try to get in contact with them to see if it'd be possible to work on that sony sensor in your pentax camera, even if it might cost a bit more for them to do.
09-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maxmax was kind enough to respond,
Sorry, but I don't work on Pentax cameras anymore. The last number I have opened had numerous hardwired connections to the main PCB that made it difficult to get to the sensor without a lot of extra work.
That is the problem with the old design of Pentax electronics with lots of wires and connections inside, where others like Sony only have a few of them left.
09-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I do not recommend Spencer's, from past experience.

---------- Post added 09-11-19 at 07:24 AM ----------

Maxmax was kind enough to respond, Sorry, but I don't work on Pentax cameras anymore. The last number I have opened had numerous hardwired connections to the main PCB that made it difficult to get to the sensor without a lot of extra work.
I wonder if his experiences are still relevant. There are still companies who will work on modern pentax cameras and for no extra money when it comes to sensor modification.

This sounds like a situation where a little smooth talking could convince them to take a look at your camera, or conversely get your camera disassembled by someone else then send them that.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 09-11-2019 at 09:10 AM.
09-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Cameras are colorblind and only produce shades of grey. They put a colored filter on each of the pixels to break them up into squares of R, G, and B and put those values back together at the expense of resolution. Removing the colored filters makes the camera colorblind again - but, you get a lot more resolution and an extra EV stop in the process.
I had one of the rare 6MP Kodak monochrome cameras a long time ago - probably the only DCS 1m. Superb resolution per pixel. One f-stop more light, no Bayer filters sucking up light and smearing the imagery. A colleague now has a converted Canon 5d in monochrome. Sweet toy for technical photography.
For machine vision monochrome cameras are standard and no questions asked. In photography only Leica shaves sensors to offer monochrome sensors these days.
Happy to learn who will convert Pentax.
09-30-2019, 09:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've wanted to get a Pentax camera converted to mono as well, but also have had no luck finding a place that will do the conversion
09-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Give me about 2-3 years, I'll figure it out guys

11-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I also haven't had a good experience with Spencer's on conversions. Has anyone found anyone who does the debayering?