Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2019, 10:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Used Equipment Adventure!

Hello all!

I’d like to share a story of an interesting find during my side-gig adventures of buying and selling used gear (been saving for the mythical K-3 replacement)! This side-gig usually entails finding old/broken equipment, cleaning/ repairing, and reselling for a profit.

A few days ago, while searching for used Pentax gear, an online ad (Kijiji) was posted for a K-5, FA 50mm f/1.4, FA 35mm f/2, 18-55 WR, a flash, and some filters – all for an outrageously, outrageously, low, low price !

I messaged the seller and made arrangements to meet up. When we met at her place, she handed me a ripped up plastic shopping bag with all the equipment in it – and what really horrified me was that they were all without their lens/body caps!! The seller did not appear to know too much about the equipment at all but assured me that she just needed some extra funds and did not want to use an old camera. Since the equipment didn’t seem to be in bad shape, I paid her the money and took the equipment home.

Looking through the K-5 copyright metadata information, to my surprise, I found a name and phone number that differed from those of the seller. “Great – stolen equipment – the cheap price makes sense now” was my first thought. There’s no way I could enjoy the equipment with the thought that it could be stolen, so I text messaged the phone number in the camera’s copyright information… This is where things get wild: Apparently, this person I messaged has owned lots of cameras and lenses in the past. Not only did this person confirm it was not stolen equipment (she had sold them online to the same person I bought them off of) but I had actually paid MORE than what she had sold them for! At least I can rest easy knowing the equipment was not stolen – BIG SCORE!

I plan to sell the equipment except for the FA 35mm f/2 which is now part of my main collection. I had planned to sell the K-5 as well, until I began researching it’s specs and I’ve decided to keep the K-5 in my main collection to be a workhorse alongside my K-S2!

I’d like to explain my rationale on how a camera 5 years older (announced in 2010) than my K-S2 earned it’s place in my collection:

Benefits for K-5 vs. K-S2
• 26 vs. 5 frame buffer for raw files (WHAT?! After a firmware update on the K-5 the buffer is increased to around 26 raw files! This is huge!)
• 7.0 vs. 5.4 fps continuous shooting (about a 23% improvement!)
• 14 vs. 12 bit RAW files (will be very interested to see if there is a noticeable improvement)
• 1/8000 vs. 1/6000 maximum shutter speed
• 80 vs. 100 lowest ISO
• Top LCD vs. no top LCD
• Larger grip vs. smaller grip
• Wireless flash capable vs. non-wireless

Benefits for K-S2 vs. K-5
• Support for KAF4 vs. no support for KAF4 (can’t use my PLM on the K-5!?)
• Fully articulating screen vs. fixed screen
• 20 MP vs. 16 MP
• Simulated vs. fixed AA filter
• Focus peaking vs. no peaking
• Wi-Fi vs. No Wi-Fi
• -3 EV vs. -1 EV autofocus sensitivity

It’s really too bad that the K-5 doesn’t support the PLM, as it would otherwise be perfect action/wildlife camera.
However, I see myself carrying both cameras with the PLM on my K-S2 and the 18-135 on the K-5.

One of my best take-aways on my Kijiji adventures!
Was so excited about this addition that I wanted to share here on PentaxForums!
Thanks for reading!

09-12-2019, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good on you for taking the time to contact the original owner. No deal is a good deal if you can't live with your conscience. NOTHING is more important than maintaining your integrity. Bravo!

Too bad you are keeping the FA 35mm f/2. It's one of the lenses on my 30-35mm wish list. I don't have any free cash anyway.
09-12-2019, 12:35 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
It’s really too bad that the K-5 doesn’t support the PLM, as it would otherwise be perfect action/wildlife camera. Read more at: Used Equipment Adventure! - PentaxForums.com
SInce we already shoot everything on APS_c at ƒ5.6, f 6.3 is acceptable if that's all it does, Reports of the PLM not working on a K-5 are exaggerated. My wife steals it from my cupboard all the time, it's become her favourite hiking lens.

DA 55-300 PLM on K-5.
I'd test to see if it does other apertures but she's out of town at the moment.

09-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice Cedar Waxwing normhead (or your wife). I've only seen these once in my life.

09-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I've only seen these once in my life.
Couldn't help but share this image, too! We get flocks of them in Edmonton, Alberta!

On my K-S2 with the PLM.. f/8 though, sorry normhead - thanks for the tip regarding it's use on the K-5 though !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
09-12-2019, 01:07 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Nice Cedar Waxwing normhead (or your wife). I've only seen these once in my life.
We took it on camping trip as our only telephoto. My K-1 her K-5. The birds were close to where I was sitting and her camera was closest with the 55-300 already on it. SO I just picked it up and fired away.

I don't know if this will show up but she got a Kingfisher.

For the weight, I'd rather take this lens and have it somewhat crippled than any of my heavier lenses and have them fully functional. This lens punches way above it's weight class.

Last edited by normhead; 09-12-2019 at 01:12 PM.
09-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
but she got a Kingfisher.
Incredible shot! love the bokeh framing!

09-12-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 55-300 PLM will focus fine on a K-5. But it won't change the aperture.
09-12-2019, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Incredible shot! love the bokeh framing!
There was one little opening in the tree branches for her to peek and focus through. And even then he was pretty annoyed at her presence she was able to get a few shots off.
She was sitting here in the rain reading her book, and he landed on tree branch that hung out over the lake with a fish to eat. She was able to get to the spot from where she could take the photo without disturbing him too much, although in this one he definitely has the "I can see you. You're sitting right there." look on his face.

Afterwards I waited an hour to see if he'd come back but, no cigar, he did fly by several times though.

Just another rainy day campsite activity.

---------- Post added 09-12-19 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 55-300 PLM will focus fine on a K-5. But it won't change the aperture.
But the wide open apertures are quite useful.

Last edited by normhead; 09-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.
09-12-2019, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple years ago I spotted a flock of them in my neighbor's pear tree (they love fruit). I slapped my Vivitar 400mm (avg. user rating 7.5) onto my K10D and grabbed some shots. I kept the two 'best' ones, only as a record of the event. They weren't actually that good. Had to keep the K10D down to ISO 400 to control noise, shot handheld at 1/160 sec, aperture not recorded but not stopped down enough for good DOF on a 400. So, using a mediocre lens at too slow a shutter speed and too wide an aperture, you can imagine the results. I'll keep the shots, but won't post them here.

I've really gotten off topic from the OP, sorry.
09-12-2019, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

A couple years ago I spotted a flock of them in my neighbor's pear tree (they love fruit). I slapped my Vivitar 400mm (avg. user rating 7.5) onto my K10D and grabbed some shots. I kept the two 'best' ones, only as a record of the event. They weren't actually that good. Had to keep the K10D down to ISO 400 to control noise, shot handheld at 1/160 sec, aperture not recorded but not stopped down enough for good DOF on a 400. So, using a mediocre lens at too slow a shutter speed and too wide an aperture, you can imagine the results. I'll keep the shots, but won't post them here.

I've really gotten off topic from the OP, sorry.
But we have to tell him to try the 55-300 PLM on the K-5 before he writes it off. There are trade offs, but in my mind, they are worth it. Will he even believe us without pictures?

I sold my K-5 for next to nothing. But, I was given orders, all my stuff had to fit in my camera case, and I wanted a K-1.

What's a guy to do?

Last edited by normhead; 09-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.
09-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

But we have to tell him to try the 55-300 PLM on the K-5 before he writes it off. There are trade offs, but in my mind, they are worth it. Will he even believe us without pictures?

I sold my K-5 for next to nothing. But, I was given orders, all my stuff had to fit in my camera case, and I wanted a K-1.

What's a guy to do?
Buy a MUCH bigger case!
09-13-2019, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 and I love it. Don't dismiss a camera for another that is newer and dazzles you with a few specs. I have a K110D, I bought the K-5 to update it, then sat the K110D aside, it might be only 6MP but it still is a great camera. I started using it again and it really isn't so bad. If it had shake reduction it'd be almost just like the K-5. Lots of good things in cameras that are not super new and full of new tech.
09-13-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Buy a MUCH bigger case!
After she shopped on line for weeks to find one just the right size for the space we have for it? Are you trying to get me slapped up-side the head?

I officially run the house, but I'm a happier guy if I just do what she says.

"Do you think we should do blah blah blah" means, "If you don't do blah blah blah you are in deep doo doo buddy, and there are going to be consequences."

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2019 at 08:58 AM.
09-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
all my stuff had to fit in my camera case
I was told my stuff had to fit on the desk! My tripods used to just lean against the desk and my wife 'permitted' me to get a small shelf unit to hold them - so I have a bit more real estate for camera equipmeent now!
Had to share a picture like yours!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo