Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
But how about the quoted Dpreview forum post and the answer from Pentax in the beginning of my article? As well as all those questions asked by different "AA battery" Pentax DSLR users over all these 3 years?

Afterall,the number of shots can vary very different for different usage habit and applications. So, the fair comparison is to compare NiMH again Lithiums and the problems we can see, i.e., slower AF, battery warning of half depleted and extensive use of LCD or in bulb mode the camera will be shut off very fast, etc.

In the end, I'm sure if we all do what the Pentax rep suggested (in short, just use the DSLRs as film ones), the number of shots will be a large number!
My use is pretty intensive. I take lots of photos, use instant review all the time and chimp far more than is healthy for me, evaluating images in the field etc. and still get great battery life. What aspects of your photo technique would drain your batteries quickly. I imagine use of on board flash will deplete them pretty quickly, but they would do the same with nikon. The above quoted 2000 shots for my D70 drops to 4-500 with flash at 50% usage.

03-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #32
Veteran Member

What is the meaning of 'toe cheese'?

The mind reels; smoke pouring from my ears, eyeballs rolling like wheels on a slot machine. Saturday is lost...
03-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
What is the meaning of 'toe cheese'?

The mind reels; smoke pouring from my ears, eyeballs rolling like wheels on a slot machine. Saturday is lost...
Toe Jam - sock droppings - etc.

PDL
03-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Toe Jam - sock droppings - etc.

PDL
See also - Fromunda Cheese

03-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gorfmai Quote
See also - Fromunda Cheese
I bet there are exactly 42 types of this "personal" cheese - coincidence - I think not.
Thanks for the fish.
PDL
03-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Knowing your personality Micheal, I'm not sure how you would react to his writing, but the 4 books in this series are the funniest bit of satire I've ever read.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting, then it's all about a science fiction! Thanks for the info. Now, should my this thread opened renamed to "42 to all the rechargeable problems"? ;-)
03-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #37
Veteran Member

just bear in mind RH it took "deep thought".. several million years to come up with his 42 answer.. he he

"deep thought" was the name of the super computer in the story..

trog
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #38
PDL
Pentaxian

Actually all this has to do with the idea that someone in the hinderlands is more concerned with battery performance than capturing images. After seeing your posts in three different Pentax forums - and it always has the under current the Pentax is out to screw the customer, they lie, the devices are just a little better than a bucket of warm spit - to go off topic is a relief.
Just use the batteries suggested by the vendor - be that Pentax. C*non, N*kon or -____fill in the blank___-. Just get on with it. Carry an extra set of batteries with you so when your camera dies while you are standing in the field of Tulips (yeah I was out standing in a field) you don't have to drive around madly in search of the proper batteries.
Have a camera that eats batteries -- S**ks to be you - go buy some more.
Deep-Thought sends it's regards.
PDL

03-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #39

SO......when the search for a dslr started I paid a lot of attention to portability and ease of transport (how many bits & pieces did I have to account for when packing??), and the Pentax won hands down by vrtue of its ability to use AA batteries. When travelling it is a huge bonus, and one of the reasons I am staying away from the K10.

GWP - I must say that i agree with you 100% regarding the use of the AA batteries. I was on an overseas trip a couple of years back with a Canon Powershot which took AA's. My mate took a Kodak which had a rechargable battery, he often made comments about AA's being a hassle and i told him that when his camera or battery packs it in he'll know i was right - sure enough and on more than one occassion my decision to use AA's was justified.

When it came time to purchase a DSLR I went with the istDS partly because of the AA's but the main reason was the store was closing and i negotiated a 65% discount - not bad. Never had a problem with AA's and are always readily in supply - rechargable Energizers.

When it came time to get another DSLR i was originally a little dissapointed that the K10D went to a rechargable - but dont let that prevent you from purchasing the camera. Great Camera!

I managed to purchase rechargable backup batteries (for Minolta NP-400) from an Australian ebay store for $15.99. They are fantastic as back ups, work great and charge on the pentax charger. The only difference between the Pentax battery and the replacement is the sticker on the back that says Pentax. Other than that identical. Plus the charger is smaller, batteries less hassle to handle.

Go for the K10D
03-14-2007, 12:49 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Sanyo Eneloop re-chargeable batteries.
Yeah, I'm hanging out to use these

I didn't bother clicking on the link to read the article. My RCR-V3's are working fine in my istDS. Why get myself worked up over something that already works for me.

Edit: Sorry, it was like a car crash, I did end up having to click on the link in the end. First thing that I read that gets my goat up...
"as the infamous Pentax DSLR battery issue/problem" .

Infamous? Issue/Problem? Since when? Seriously , again, the use of AA's was one of the deciding factors in my purchase of my camera and I've never had a problem with it.

Last edited by troywhite; 03-14-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: did click on the link after all :)
03-14-2007, 04:34 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
Yeah, I'm hanging out to use these
I didn't bother clicking on the link to read the article. My RCR-V3's are working fine in my istDS. Why get myself worked up over something that already works for me.
As Pentax always warn about the use of Rechargeable CR-V3, it is harmless to check carefully before any RCR-V3 is put into any Pentax DSLRs! :-) Particularly, I needed to verify the voltage and discharge characteristics to ensure the "safety".

QuoteQuote:
Edit: Sorry, it was like a car crash, I did end up having to click on the link in the end. First thing that I read that gets my goat up...
"as the infamous Pentax DSLR battery issue/problem" .

Infamous? Issue/Problem? Since when? Seriously , again, the use of AA's was one of the deciding factors in my purchase of my camera and I've never had a problem with it.
You may find some of my wordings a bit subjective, but you may skip these words if you are not sure if you are to be agreed or not. Nonetheless, what I trying to find out is an analysis on the discharge and voltage characteristics between my regulated RCR-V3 batteries against a typical 2500mAh NiMHs from a renowned brand, i.e., Energizer, according to the available technical reference documents.
03-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #42

Thanks RiceHigh...

I must admit I did end up reading the article all the way through and it was informative, although a little bit too information for my head

Troy