Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The Ultimate Answers to all the (Rechargeable) Battery Problems!

.. which are related to those AA battery driven Pentax DSLR.

- Can RCR-V3s be used in Pentax DSLRs?

- Why RCR-V3s rated at 1100mAh outperform NiMHs rated at 2500mAh+?

- What is the advantages and disadvantages for using different rechargeables?

.. and so on (and all the technical stuff behind..)

See, my latest article - the most lengthy one ever published in my Blog:-

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2007/03/when-1100mah-li-ion-rcr-v3s-outperform.html

Enjoy! And I hope anyone who faces the tedious problems would find the ultimate answers and hope this helps!

P.S. Would certain "Moderator" here *pls don't* delete *again* my article link and this would get the various links embedded in my original artilce deleted if you do it by copy and paste plus some manual manipulation! Note that I wish to keep my original posts in the way I posted but NOT YOU to modify without good reason(s) and my consent!

Do pls respect the poster and the original author, and, don't waste your time and extra bandwidth/storage of the forum, please. Many thanks!

03-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not bad; not great mind you, but not bad; until...

...you do the usual Pentax bash at the end.

...and some of your math is as much lucky guessing as it is actual mathematics.

And there is that little 'bolded' statement about not have any AA solutions for any Pentax bodies. I've used rechargeable AA's in my ZX-M, ZX-10 and *ist-D with remarkable results. First the 2000mAh capacity then 2100, 2300 and finally 2500 mAh Energizers with a 15 minute charger. 300-500 shots per pair/quad was typical;limit flash and chimping on the *-istD and add the grip (8 batteries total) and 1500 shots was routine.

YMMV of course and the current K-digitals might, indeed, perform better with the high end CRV3s. That's nice to know but not earth shaking.

Most remarkable though, is that you didn't get a chance to further profess your undying love for the MZ-s; quite a disappointment!
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
.. which are related to those AA battery driven Pentax DSLR.

- Can RCR-V3s be used in Pentax DSLRs?

- Why RCR-V3s rated at 1100mAh outperform NiMHs rated at 2500mAh+?

- What is the advantages and disadvantages for using different rechargeables?

.. and so on (and all the technical stuff behind..)

See, my latest article - the most lengthy one ever published in my Blog:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When 1100mAh Li-ion RCR-V3s Outperform 2500mAh+ NiMH AAs ..

Enjoy! And I hope anyone who faces the tedious problems would find the ultimate answers and hope this helps!

P.S. Would certain "Moderator" here *pls don't* delete *again* my article link and this would get the various links embedded in my original artilce deleted if you do it by copy and paste plus some manual manipulation! Note that I wish to keep my original posts in the way I posted but NOT YOU to modify without good reason(s) and my consent!

Do pls respect the poster and the original author, and, don't waste your time and extra bandwidth/storage of the forum, please. Many thanks!

I have two DS bodies and one K100D and all of this noise over batteries puzzles me.

I use the 15 minute Energizers almost exclusively (2300mah, I think), but also use 15 minute Rayovacs (2000mah I think), and I have never noticed any problems. I have a little battery wallet with 2 extra sets in it ready to go, and with one set in the camera, I am ready to shoot as much as I want or need to.

The Energizers have a car adapter for the charger, so I put that in my camera bag, and unless I am trekking across country for days at a time, I am am good to go.

I simply fully charge all three sets before I take the camera out for a spin, and shoot as much as I want. I routinely get 300 - 500 shots from the 2300mah Energizers, but frankly, I do not spend much, if any time worrying about the battery indicator or the exact voltage when the camera shuts down, or whether I get 300 or 500 shots or more from a set. If a set quits when I am shooting, I just pop in a second set and go on. I do not pay much attention to the little indicator either. I just know about how many shots I can get and either wait until the batteries die or swap them when the shot count gets close and I have the time to change them.

If I am traveling, I simply charge everything back up when I get back to the car or the hotel or whatever.

I sometimes carry a set of disposable Lithium AAs as a backup, which are light, run very long, but are sort of expensive.

The real question for you, Mr. Ricehigh, is:

Do you ever take any pictures, or do you spend all of your time worrying about all of this kind of stuff and measuring/complaining about everything? I am asking seriously as I saw all of the threads at DPReview that got you banned and have seen all of your blogs and posts here, but the one thing I do not recall seeing is you participating in any photo threads or similar postings about your photography.

Do not mis-understand, we can all ignore you if we like, and if measuring and complaining about Pentax products makes you happy, more power to you, but why worry about any camera brand at all if you do not take photographs?

Isn't it time to move on to, say, measuring the Ipod actual song storage limits and battery life and the quality of the audio ouput versus endless droning on and on about Pentax cameras that you (apparently) do not seem to use for their intended purpose?

Ray
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote

If you don't like the way this forum is moderated, then stop posting, but you have no right to tell the moderators or the owner of this site what to do.

As for me, I don't click on your links. As far as I'm concerned, you should say what you have to say right here. Otherwise, you're just advertising your blog, and if I were Adam I would charge you a fee for that.

My 2 cents.

03-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Forum Member

I thought the ultimate answer to everything was 42....
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

i usually dont read blogs as they are a waste of time, i use the duracell rechargable batteries, and they last me well each set, one set can get me through about 500-600 shots on a good dya, but hwen imt comes to me, i also dont worry about the battery life, as i bought 20 setes of rechargables over the years, if one runs out, i just pop another set in and thats the end of that.
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Michael,
As much as you offer your opinion, so will I offer my experience to this question of batteries.

I travelled to Europe, US & Canada a few years ago, I carried my Casio QVR-4 camera which uses a little rechargeable, proprietory battery. A connector point on the recharger snapped off when changing the power plug adapter (Casio kindly thought to make it universal)....on the second day of the trip.

I was unable to buy an charger for love or money, and we were in large European city stores that carried Casio products. NON -brand universal chargers were available, but there was uncertaintity as to their suitability, and they were all big & bulky, a definite no no when travelling.
I was able to improvise with a bit of alfoil (metal) and struggled through.

On another trip with the same camera, we checked out of our hotel, and were some hundred odd miles down the road when I realsied the charger cable was still back at the hotel in the bathroom power point. ( I run a large accommodation building, I know how many chargers & cables get handed in by our cleaners each week!!)

SO......when the search for a dslr started I paid a lot of attention to portability and ease of transport (how many bits & pieces did I have to account for when packing??), and the Pentax won hands down by vrtue of its ability to use AA batteries. When travelling it is a huge bonus, and one of the reasons I am staying away from the K10.

Which battery? Pentax make it very clear they are reccommending the CRV3 Lithium. I have used (& still carry a pack for back up) Lithium AA's, I can not tell you which one lasts longest, both appear to last about the same to me. Downside is the cost, but convenience has always had a price.

I have kept away from Energiser re-chargeables as my camera will sit unused for weeks at a time & my experience is these batteries discharge too quickly when unused.

I now use Sanyo Eneloops, and can not reccommend this product highly enough, Eneloops are fantastic, great, terrififc....call it what you like...Eneloops are second to none in every facet of their operation.

Buy some Eneloops Michael, you wont be dis-appointed.

And that my friend is my experience with batteries.
Cheers
Grant

03-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, 42 is the meaning of life.

The ultimate answer to everything is "EDITED BY CENSOR"; and usually includes some form of hand or arm gesture.
03-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #9

Eneloops

What, pray tell, are eneloops?

03-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FLASH Quote
What, pray tell, are eneloops?

Sanyo Eneloop re-chargeable batteries.
Cheers
Grant
03-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

RH.. useing terminology like "the ultimate answer to all xxxx" is another example of english not being your true language dude..

true english speakers know the ultimate answer to anything is "42".. trying to make out u have it and it isnt "42" will just make u the subject of ridicule..

trog
03-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. I regularly get 600-700 shots out of my Energizer 2500 batteries on cold days in winter here. I have one set charged and one in my camera and have never run out of juice during a photo shoot. Admittedly that is not as good as the 2000+ shots I get with my Nikons but it is still good enough for a whole day of shooting.

RH your article was interesting reading but I found that your assertions and conclusions don't jibe with my experiences, and it seems with those of others on this board.
03-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
No, 42 is the meaning of life.
More specifically it is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Terry
03-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've only shot as many as 250 images or so in a day so getting 2000 shots on a charge is meaningless to me.

I use the Powerex 2700's and Maha C-204 charger without incident. The Sony 2500's I save for the A620 or AF540 flash :-)

EDIT: Took 350 or so yesterday without incident. Shrug and yawn.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-04-2007 at 01:50 PM.
03-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i have never counted how many shots i get.. i simply make sure they are fully charged and carry a spare fully charged set..

people just dont seem the know how to use the things.. u aint supposed to count how many shots and wait till they go flat before u charge them.. just charge before use even if they are not flat and u will have no problems..

trying to use them like throw away batteries isnt the way to use them.. charge before use and u will have no problems..

ignore the battery life indicator.. when they go flat change them when u get home charge them.. if more than couple of days have passed since a full charge.. assume they need another charge..

when in doubt charge them.. it wont hurt them..

trog