Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help! I have a dilemma

OK, I have a K30 that has had the solenoid fixed, I have a K3, both are less than 20k actuations. I want a silver KP and have stumbled across one for £550. Other than "just because", are there any good reasons to ditch the K30 for the KP? Is it massively better? this would stretch my finances very thin but I am so tempted.

09-14-2019, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would outright say "yes". The KP will deliver image quality superior even to that of the K-3.
09-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would outright say "yes". The KP will deliver image quality superior even to that of the K-3.
And once more I am back on the horns of the dilemma lololol the camera in question doesn't appear to have the spare grips, are these available? Or are they ridiculously expensive. Also, I think this is a good price, new they are on offer at £699. This particular one has light marks and has a shutter count of 500 ish
09-14-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Go to " cameras " go to the menu

Look at reviews and set up the side by side comparison

KP goes does take a battery grip

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-15-2019 at 02:01 PM.
09-14-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they'd take less, say -50 I'd say that might be worth it. I presume it has the largest grip, an extra one of which is also included if you ever decide to get the optional battery grip. Otherwise, not knowing the current equation of USD to the English Pound, the price you quote for a new one sounds reasonable for such an advanced model of pro-caliber build. I also assume a new one would come with a set of grips, and of course a warranty. This seems worth the difference. The largest grip serves most situations well, but I enjoy the extra-compact handling factor of the smaller grips with compact lens use.

And yes, getting it and selling the K-30 would definitely be worth it, as Adam says, unless all you do is casual snapshots of your friends, which I doubt judging by what you already have. I've had a K-5 IIs for a number of years, bought new when the K-3 came out. I still use it and like it a lot. But the KP has become my most used camera, and for good reasons. The KP actually makes a good team with a body like a K-5 IIs or a K-3. Whatever operational lack the KP has, when needed the older, larger body can still deliver (like a larger buffer for burst shooting), while the advancements the KP brings are likewise there when needed, along with its compact portability factor. You then have two premium-quality bodies, each of which can address different needs and circumstances.

I also chose the silver body, and whether with a silver or black lens, it is indeed beautiful!

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.
09-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. buying the KP is a no brainer, especially as I am an active club member who is surrounded by Sonys, the only stumbling block is justifying the spend. I need to sleep on this one
09-14-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the KP and sold a K-30, also have a K-50 which doesn't get as much use now. It is well worth it! One thing you can't do with a K-30 is use the 55-300 PLM lens. I also had a Sony a6000 which I recently sold because it was not getting used since the KP came along. The Sony's size advantage for travel did not equal the real performance advantages of the KP. The KP doesn't take up that much more space,

09-15-2019, 04:00 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
And once more I am back on the horns of the dilemma lololol the camera in question doesn't appear to have the spare grips, are these available? Or are they ridiculously expensive. Also, I think this is a good price, new they are on offer at £699. This particular one has light marks and has a shutter count of 500 ish
Mine came with three grips, but I understand that was only done for cameras sold in the U.S. They are separately available (Pentax KP - Ricoh - about fifty bucks, U.S.). But that's such a simple product that I wouldn't hesitate to get some off of EBay type sales sites. Maybe you could buy the one you need cheap from someone who has all three and doesn't need the one you want. By the way, the battery-grip comes with the largest of the three to match the extension of the grip itself.
09-15-2019, 07:28 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update. Dilemma over, I bought the beautiful, silver KP. Now I need to sell my K30 and Olympus stylus 1s to pay for it
09-16-2019, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I bought the KP and sold a K-30, also have a K-50 which doesn't get as much use now. It is well worth it! One thing you can't do with a K-30 is use the 55-300 PLM lens. I also had a Sony a6000 which I recently sold because it was not getting used since the KP came along. The Sony's size advantage for travel did not equal the real performance advantages of the KP. The KP doesn't take up that much more space,
You can use the PLM on the K-30. You just have to update the firmware with a non-official version that's available in a thread here. I've upgraded mine with the version that even keeps the K-30 EXIF tag, and it works great. I think all or nearly all K-30s are long out of warranty, so you don't have to worry about voiding it.
09-16-2019, 11:03 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kp arrived today. I have managed 4 shots. That shutter is wonderful. Re the camera, it is near mint with all the bits, including grips. I will check the shutter count later but so far so fantastic
09-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok, i checked the shutter count, 283 i am one happy bunny
09-20-2019, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats- enjoy!

It does a great with JPEG images right from the camera too. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the most-used "Bright" category.