Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A dealer not too far from my office has a K10D with battery grip for about USD100. I have one that expired and I still miss the chunky feel of it. I have a K200D with the same sensor but in use it is just not the same. I haven't bought any gear for quite a while now...

09-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #32
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Oh dear....CBA is on the loose again

Dave
09-18-2019, 02:56 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have never figured out all of the nostalgia for the K10. I loved it when it came out, but it didn't do great on iso over 400, had not so great auto focus, and I didn't think the colors were that much better than those of the CMOS cameras from the K5 on. The K20 and K7 I didn't like as well, but most of Pentax's other cameras since then have better features and better functionality.

I just looked back at my K10 images and honestly, I don't see anything special about them. I was a worse photographer then, but I wouldn't just look at them say "Wow, look at that CCD sensor shine!"
09-18-2019, 03:37 AM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have never figured out all of the nostalgia for the K10. I loved it when it came out, but it didn't do great on iso over 400, had not so great auto focus, and I didn't think the colors were that much better than those of the CMOS cameras from the K5 on. The K20 and K7 I didn't like as well, but most of Pentax's other cameras since then have better features and better functionality.

I just looked back at my K10 images and honestly, I don't see anything special about them. I was a worse photographer then, but I wouldn't just look at them say "Wow, look at that CCD sensor shine!"
I guess, like most aspects of equipment and indeed photography as a whole, it's largely subjective. I didn't harbour any nostalgia for the K10D, having never owned one when it first came out. By the time I bought my first GX-10, the K-3 had been my main camera for some time (and a very fine camera it is too). Since then, though, the GX-10 has become my camera of choice (when it suits the shooting conditions).

There's no doubt the K-3 has more features (some of them very useful), much greater resolution, way better high ISO performance, better AF, faster continuous shooting etc. It's just an all-round more versatile camera. And the raw image quality from the K-3 is really excellent. But there's something about the K10D / GX-10 files that works well for me.

When all's said and done, though, I can get images I'm happy with from any of my cameras.

You might recall one of my earlier threads on this, but just in case, here's a link:

Colour and tone rendering - CCD Samsung GX-10 (Pentax K10D) vs CMOS Pentax K-3 - PentaxForums.com

09-18-2019, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RE that CCD "look:"

My first DSLR was an Olympus E-330, which was one of the earlier CMOS based DSLRs. After that a K20D, then a Canon 40D, then a K-x, a K-5, a Sony A55, a K-3 ii, then a Q7, then a Nikon V1, borrowed an Olympus E-p3 for a bit, all CMOS sensors. I've been shooting RAW and using lightroom pretty much the whole time.

Each of these definitely had its own distinctive rendering by the image sensor. The K20D and Q7 perhaps being the most distinctive, with the 12-16-24mp sony sensors all being sort of middle-of-the-road, the Aptina chip in the Nikon and the Canon chip in the 40D both being a bit more clinical and subdued, and the E-p3 nice on some colors but with very poor separation of green tones.

That last bit, separation of green tones, is especially important to me as a botanist who uses my camera more or less as my main notebook in the field.

Around the time I was mainly using the K-5 I picked up a used Ricoh GX100 cheaply, the first CCD sensor camera I'd ever used. The rendering of that sensor was VERY pleasing. Now, I don't know entirely that this is truly an artifact of the CCD vs CMOS sensor design, or a coincidental effect of companies tweaking the color filter array dyes to get better low-light performance around the time they all switched to CMOS, or processing differences, or what. But whatever the source of that special sauce happens to be, it's there, and prompted me to pick up my K10D. Which definitely delivers!

That said, I just applied BigMackCam's K10D-mimicking profile to files from some CMOS cameras and it goes a long way towards reproducing that look. I don't know that it'll rescue the mushy greens of that olympus sensor, but it definitely gives those sony sensors a bit more life. Looking forward to trying it on the GXR A12 50mm module.
09-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 'old' fave was the k200d, small WR & fun and among the last CCD cams.

My latest silver K-5 cost $200 with under 30k clicks, I'd have preferred the II but for what I received: no complaint