Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've never had a K10D, but I did have a K20D for a while, which I think is a similar body style. I have had several K200D's and missed them every time I sold one. I think it must be one of the most comfortable solid performing and comfortable to hold cameras every made, and the CCD images truly had a special quality to them. I don't know what all features you require in a camera, or at least a second one, but to me I'd choose the K200D, no question.

01-26-2020, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
I have too many cameras! It's so nice to have all of them, but I don't use them that much, the locker is getting tight, and the wife is getting more suspicious. I have had a KP for 2 years, which is main camera. Bought an used K5ii some months ago, due to very good offer, and I had always wanted to try a "pro-design" camera of K3, K5 class, the K5ii becomes my backup camera, and also for when I am asked to do some event photos, 2 cameras are just nicer. Recently I bought an used K200D, under 7000 shutters, the price is next to nothing, and the CCD discussions, you know, made me very curious. Have got proper time yet to do some proper walking around with it.

And this week, I was given a K10D, also in great condition (a bit more used than the K200D, 2700 actuations). From what I know, they're using the same 10M CCD sensor, so very similar image quality. K10D is a bit more "pro": a bit heavier, more control, better viewfinder, better burst rate. K200D is more casual: smaller and lighter, less control, slightly better LCD. And oh, they're both as noisy (shutter sound) as anything.

I like them both but it doesn't not make a lot of sense keeping them both, I can't decide which to let go. Could you help me?
I had both and still have my K10D.
They indeed use the same 10M CCD sensor.
In old days one said that ooc JPEGs with the K200D would be better but this is easely solved by intelligent use of the menu.
The K10D is heavier but much more sturdy (magnesium body as the K5) and quick direct access to many knobs.

The Li-Ion battery of the K10D was of fantastic quality, mine is still working alright and yet, you get the same quality because all Sigma batteries up to the SD10 fit as well and are still in production (made in Japan quality!)

Very important difference:
K10D has the far superior viewfinder: Pentaprism 0,95x 95%!
K200D has just the inferior pentamirror (0,86x)

K10D: 2 control wheels
K200D: 1

Only (minor) advantage of the K200D is the LCD-size: 2,7".

I had both cameras open: The built quality of the K10D is way way ahead. Far superior to the K200D!
The K10D was a masterpiece of engineering!

It is also famous for very high shuttercount. Every part inside is superior!

To have a K10D with that low shuttercount! What a gem!

Size: I found the K200D more bulky, the K10D aside of being slighty larger and heavier (which is minor, AA batteries are heavier than Li-IONs)
and I prefered the batterygrip of the K10D to that one of the K200D:
Read this review which brings it to the point:
Pentax Battery Grip D-BG3 for K200D reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-27-2020, 02:19 AM   #18
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello, pleasantly surprised to see my old thread being digged up :-) Finally I decided to let the K10D go, that money was then very well invested in a beautiful A50 macro by the way. Exactly as one of you above said, the K10D is superior in terms of control and build quality, a "pro-type" body, but since I already have a K5ii, which is even better in these respects, these CCD cameras are more like fun/being in the mood camera for me to take out occasionally, and because of that the K200D won due to its lighter weight.

But I have to admit I haven't used it very much, I put it with a K55mm f2 in my car, so I always have a camera with me everytime just in case. And sometimes when we go for a walk in the town, I grab it with a manual prime, but not more than that.
01-27-2020, 02:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My input is too late, but I would have suggested you keep neither.

01-27-2020, 03:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would definitely keep K10D, I still have and use mine.
01-27-2020, 05:36 AM   #21
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My input is too late, but I would have suggested you keep neither.
It's still pretty much relevant, since I might sell the K200D, due to not being used enough. I don't have that much time dedicated for photography, and having 3 cameras feels a bit overkill.
01-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
It's still pretty much relevant, since I might sell the K200D, due to not being used enough. I don't have that much time dedicated for photography, and having 3 cameras feels a bit overkill.
I feel your approach of having 1 camera always in the car is pretty good. Even during freezing temperaturs those AA Eneloops won't suffer as much as a Li-Ion does suffer.
There are times were a useful body-lens-set is just great to have ready.

Another point is theft which can happen.

If I lose my K10D with A70-210 and Takumar 55/1,8 it isn't that bad.
For cold freezing weeks its a K30 (solenoid replaced of course) and AA's