Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #1

Pentax K20D vs Canon 40D

I was wondering if anyone switch from Pentax K20D to canon's 40D? Or from Canon to Pentax??? Anyone? Opinion-please.
Have a great day...

10-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have just bought the K20D, but did consider the 40D for a short time (Shock Horror!), which would have been changing systems, but I decided to just get the K20D, as I already had a number of lenses for Pentax. But that was not the only reason.

For me, the only real advantages that the 40D had were, 6fps (but I don't really shoot that much where I need speed) and the extensive range of L lenses that the Canon provide, that Pentax don't produce, such as long lenses and in particular the 85mm F1.2L (come on Pentax! Bring out an FA*85mm F1.4 mark2 with SDM please.........)

There were down sides of the 40D, namely on both my friends versions, both suffered from low light AF issues, more than the Pentax (well the K10D and *istDS I also have). And it just did'nt feel nice to handle over the K20D....

However, after shooting nigh on 900 shots with the K20D at a studio shoot on Saturday I can say I made the right choice staying with Pentax.....
10-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Damn Brit

My wife thinks I'm rude, whenever I see a camera being used in a movie or show, I have to keep rewinding and pausing until I identify what brand.
I've even been known to say something like "Oh, it's a Nikon, can we find something else to watch?".

I've never understood how sponsorship by companies benefits those companies. I've never paid attention to anything like that, I always do my own research when buying something. Personally I think the benefits are illusory and that this kind of sponsorship is just habitual.

Back on topic, I think going from a K20 to a D40 would be a retrograde step in most peoples eyes unless there was something the user needed that the D40 gives and the K20 doesn't.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-13-2008 at 03:57 PM.
10-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was seriously considering the 40D when time to upgrade from my istDs. Reasons I didn't and got the K20D instead-
I already had Pentax lenses
Size
LCD (If I remember right the 3" LCD is way over to the left, that's nose-smudging territory for me./ Pentax and Nikon have it better by putting buttons down there to keep the LCD further right).

Starting from scratch now I think I probably would get the 40D as I seem to be shooting lots of sport, and from what I have read it would be better suited for that purpose.

10-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I've never understood how sponsorship by companies benefits those companies. I've never paid attention to anything like that, I always do my own research when buying something.
You aren't the average joe that subliminal advertising works on.
It does work...it's the "oh, Ashton Kutcher uses it, and he's cool so I should buy it too".
When did Ashton Kutcher get cool or get attractive enough to nail so many women is a discussion for a different place...
10-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I owned a 30D i was not entirely happy with (Got AF fixed too late to where i just couldn't get rid of the stinch of initial dissapointment).
After the AF assembly was electronically adjusted (per repair ticket) i sold the 30D, and shopped around, i compared the 40D and the K20D just won by a mile.
I like the ergonomics of switches and wheels.
I do find the K20D liveview to be extremly half baked, if i dig deep into what i really don't like, i think i find the liveview the biggest nagging point, and i lately find myself using liveview more, but that just shows me more of its limitations.
That aside, image quality, and everything else is outstanding.
The camera and lenses of equaly quality if bought with a Canon label would break my bank, another nice thing to consider.
The 50D now almost caught up to the K20D and would be a much more interesting (and pricier) camera, but it requires that expensive (and not really better (in most cases, 85/1.2 not withstanding)) Canon glass and accessories.
10-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
jeffkpotter

Ahhh... I was a longtime Canon user who switched to Pentax. I've owned AE1's, 20, 30, and 40d's. Know them inside and out.
Long and short of it. I went on vacation. Shot a relatives wedding. Got an error message on my camera half way through the wedding. Not good. The camera recovered, but I didn't. Went to southern Utah to shoot afterwards. My expensive Canon IS zoom lens hoovered up more dust than a vacuum cleaner in the Utah desert. When I sent this lens, obviously flawed in it's design, back to Canon to be cleaned they charged me $150.00 for the privilege. I also found fine dust in the unsealed CF compartment. That was the end of it for me.
I switched to Pentax for the sealed body and the shake reduction, but I also discovered that Pentax lenses, old and new, are better and more economical than Canons. My Pentax images also have more bite. The 40d is a fine camera, maybe better for shooting weddings and sports than the K20d, but I would think twice about buying into the Canon lens farm in these tight times. In my humble opinion the K20d is a superior camera, especially considering it's price point. Switching to Pentax has greatly improved my work.
I often wonder if I had stubbornly stuck with Canon where I would be now. But different cameras for different needs! Only you know what your own particular needs and limitations are.

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 10-13-2008 at 08:33 PM.
10-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You aren't the average joe that subliminal advertising works on.
It does work...it's the "oh, Ashton Kutcher uses it, and he's cool so I should buy it too".
When did Ashton Kutcher get cool or get attractive enough to nail so many women is a discussion for a different place...
They are going for the older soccer moms obviously. Free toyboy with every camera.
10-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Funny I'm reading this thread just after a BRAND discussion with my colleague. (Sorry this is completely OT)

Colleague : I'm buying a Sony BRAVIA LCD tv
Me: Nice. have you checked the corporate discount website ?
Colleague: Yes, but they dont have any offers for Sony
Me: (After checking the site) But there are good offers on SHARP and they seem cheaper than Sony
Colleague: Yeah, but Sony is better and it has a motion enhancer (or whatever) on their x series
Me: yeah, but thats 100Hz frequency which is available in SHARP as well
Colleague: But then it's Sony and much more reliable
Me: SHARP in UK is offering 5 years warranty, so that can be reliable as well.
Colleague: Well, maybe but BRAVIA's are much better overall

I just gave up and did not pursue further. Wondered wtf "Overall" is ..??

Cheers
Nish
10-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
Inactive Account

My reason for the choosing of said, K20D, was simply because I am sold on Pentax's service and reliability in the past, and because everything else felt like a bbgun in my hands. CLick click.
I would agree that the only real upside on the 40 is the 5 fps. COnsider the technicalities too, SR, sensor dynamics etc.
But you should try both, to see what feels best,not what the head of marketing wants you to have

bnishanth: typical sheep culture, see it everyday, thanks for making me smile It's so hard to not be pretentious in the world these days.
10-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
LOL. Exactly. That's exactly the kind of person that subliminal advertising targets. Someone who doesn't take time to research numbers, specs, features and understands what they're buying (FWIW, I bought a Panasonic tube at the time I compared TVs a while back...it was 80% of the Sony's performance and nearly 40% less cost). It's just someone who thinks "hey, this cool guy uses it, so it must be good". The same person who buys a blackberry because the famous stars use it, etc.

It's called "mindshare" in marketing-speak, I believe. And sadly, it's something Pentax hasn't been good about lately (though they had it 30yrs ago when they were known as a photographer's camera and nearly everyone had a Pentax ME)...

I'd agree w/ the K20D's liveview being half baked...ditto the 20fps mode which I'm sure they would have loved to get to 24fps so they could claim they supported "HD video"
That said, maryo needs to tell us what her photo subject matter is and why she's thinking of switching. We can't read minds, so we're just going to wander through various tangents that she might not care about...
10-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
They are going for the older soccer moms obviously. Free toyboy with every camera.
Ahem.
Ashton who?
lol
10-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
Funny I'm reading this thread just after a BRAND discussion with my colleague. (Sorry this is completely OT)

Colleague : I'm buying a Sony BRAVIA LCD tv
Me: Nice. have you checked the corporate discount website ?
Colleague: Yes, but they dont have any offers for Sony
Me: (After checking the site) But there are good offers on SHARP and they seem cheaper than Sony
Colleague: Yeah, but Sony is better and it has a motion enhancer (or whatever) on their x series
Me: yeah, but thats 100Hz frequency which is available in SHARP as well
Colleague: But then it's Sony and much more reliable
Me: SHARP in UK is offering 5 years warranty, so that can be reliable as well.
Colleague: Well, maybe but BRAVIA's are much better overall

Cheers
Nish
I would asked "why LCD?" Unless it was a small TV (< plasma sizes) of course. Well.. still OT I suppose
10-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #14

I have recently gone from k100d to Samsung GX20 saved £200 at thetime compared to the K20, I looked at the 40d however shooting lots of gigs I decided that nearly all gig shooters had Canons so wanted to look different both for myself & image wise.

I also have a good collection of Pentax glass which was the clincher for me

Gary

Gary Stafford Music Photgraphy
10-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

if was to switch to canon, it would only be for a 5D, and only because i know how a bunch of M42 lenses.

at my level and type of photography, i see no point in busting down the cash needed for canon L glass.