Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K5 upgrade?

I currently own a Pentax K5, with 4 Pentax-DA lenses along with my "legacy" Takumar lenses from the middle '70s and an adapter. What is the best upgrade for my hardware? Can I go up to a K1?

09-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would start with a K5 II...
09-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from a K-5 to a K-3 but going to the K-1 is perfectly fine. It just depends on whether you really need the upgrade or not
09-20-2019, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #4

I went from the K-5 to the K-1. The improvement in low-light/night shots was dramatic—much better color at low light. However, going to the newer crop sensors get you those better colors without going to the K-1. The higher resolution of the K-1 is also incredible. However, I often take the K-5 if I am flying somewhere because it is noticeable smaller and lighter than the K-1. If I am driving, I definitely take the K-1.

With my K-5, I use my 18-135 and 16-85, so with the K-1 I also bought the D-FA 28-105. (Wish it was 24-105!). Like you, I have some old full frame film lenses I also use, but I like having an auto-focus walk-around lens.

If you like the K-5 and do mostly daylight photography, the DA 16-85 is a great lens. The 18-135 is also good if you want a smaller lens with a bit more reach.

09-20-2019, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP... Higher resolution than the k-5, low light beast (which the k-5 is as well) and most importantly your 4 DA lenses will not be vignetting severely like they will on the k-1.
09-21-2019, 12:51 AM - 3 Likes   #6

As is often the case with the desire to "upgrade", one may need to define where the current gear isn't delivering the required results. I bought my K-70 because I wanted more megapixels to enable me to crop a smaller area of an original image and retain detail. The lower noise at high ISO settings has been an occasional bonus, but other than that, my K-5 still performs within it's "limitations" (as do my *istD's).

Good luck
09-21-2019, 04:22 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahi72 Quote
I currently own a Pentax K5, with 4 Pentax-DA lenses along with my "legacy" Takumar lenses from the middle '70s and an adapter. What is the best upgrade for my hardware? Can I go up to a K1?
Since the OP lives in the US I would suggest that a little money be spent and that equipment be rented before investing in an upgrade:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

as far as compatibility of lenses with newer camera bodies a review of these charts might be in order:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

as well as this article if a K 1 or K 1 II is being considered:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/full-frame-coverage-of-da-lenses.html

don't forget about the comparison tool here at the forums

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-1&c...&c4=Pentax+K-3

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-22-2019 at 03:42 AM.
09-21-2019, 05:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
As is often the case with the desire to "upgrade", one may need to define where the current gear isn't delivering the required results.
Agree totally. I upgraded from a K10D because I wanted better low light performance in a compact form. The combination of high ISO with improved SR, along with its relative size lead me to the KP.

09-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Agree totally. I upgraded from a K10D because I wanted better low light performance in a compact form. The combination of high ISO with improved SR, along with its relative size lead me to the KP.
Absolutely. And the pro-level build quality is in line with the K-5 as opposed to the K-70's build quality. Then there are added advancements like the 5-axis SR for even better hand-held low light shots, the availability of the optional battery grip providing greater gripping surface and hugely increased battery life for prolonged shooting at the combined weight about the same as a K-3 II alone, etc.
09-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What does the K5 not do, or do poorly, for you?
09-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax K5 upgrade

Thanks to everyone who answered my question! I asked because I want a second camera body and hope to use my existing lenses. Sounds like the K1 might be an expensive stretch. I am a hobbyist/amateur and primarily do birding, flower macros, landscapes, and family photos. Thanks again. I might add I need accurate autofocus because of my aging eyes, and I don't think they will get better.

Last edited by Asahi72; 09-21-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: addition to post
09-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one more thing to consider:

QuoteQuote:
New Pentax Flagship DSLR Prototype to be Exhibited
Camera under development, scheduled to launch in 2020
By PF Staff in Pentax Announcements on Sep 20, 2019

New Pentax Flagship DSLR Prototype to be Exhibited
For the past many months, the Pentax community has been told by Ricoh representatives time and time again that a new APS-C flagship DSLR (i.e. a Pentax K-3 II replacement) was in the works, albeit without much concrete evidence. Today, we are one step closer to having this camera, as Ricoh has officially announced that it will exhibit a prototype of a new DSLR, in less than two days' time, in Japan.

. . . It is expected to launch in 2020, and is of course subject to change compared to what is currently shown. . . . .
Read more at: New Pentax Flagship DSLR Prototype to be Exhibited - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/392765-new-k-serie...ml#post4727177

perhaps it might be time to be patient and await developments
09-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
great advice, thanks!
09-22-2019, 12:45 AM   #14

Thanks to everyone who answered my question! I asked because I want a second camera body and hope to use my existing lenses. Sounds like the K1 might be an expensive stretch. I am a hobbyist/amateur and primarily do birding, flower macros, landscapes, and family photos. Thanks again. I might add I need accurate autofocus because of my aging eyes, and I don't think they will get better.
I too take primarily wild birds, flower and insect macros and landscapes ... my K-70 gives me the extra "reach" I wanted for distant subjects and, with practice, the autofocus is up to the job provided I can keep the subject central within the viewfinder ... not so easy with a fast-moving bird.

However, the K-70 does have a noticeably smaller body than the K-5 and does take practice to use, especially with a long heavy lens.

For "birding", if you don't already have a good long lens (400mm f/5.6 or better), I'd suggest you might get better value investing in a new lens, deciding later whether you actually need more megapixels or not.

YMMV Good luck!
09-22-2019, 03:12 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
. . . For "birding", if you don't already have a good long lens (400mm f/5.6 or better), I'd suggest you might get better value investing in a new lens, deciding later whether you actually need more megapixels or not. YMMV Good luck!
I have used the D FA 150-450mm for wildlife and the occasional bird photo:

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 (APS-C)
Introduction
The long-awaited HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW telephoto zoom made its debut in early May, 2015 as the first of an upcoming series of Pentax full frame lenses. It was originally announced at CP+ 2015 in Tokyo alongside the Pentax full frame DSLR, which is scheduled for release in late 2015.

Update as of July, 2017: read our newer review of this lens on full-frame here.

This 5-pound behemoth is packed with Pentax's latest technologies, including three focusing modes, dedicated AF buttons on the lens barrel, a silent DC focusing system, the premium HD lens coating, and a super low dispersion glass element for superior aberration control. It offers the longest focal length for a zoom in the current Pentax lens lineup, and thus fills an important gap that had previously existed beyond 250mm. Its 150-450mm zoom range also complements the existing DA* 300mm F4 and DA 560mm F5.6 primes very nicely.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6
Introduction
Back in June 2016, we presented our first review of the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW, which was the first member of the new lineup of full frame zoom lenses from Pentax. At the time, the review had been performed with a K-3 camera body as the full-frame K-1 had been announced but not yet released. Now that the K-1 has been out for some time and more users have access to it, it is time to revisit our review, this time testing the lens wih a full frame sensor.

This long-awaited telephoto zoom made its debut in early May, 2015 as the first of a growing series of Pentax full frame lenses. This 5-pound behemoth is packed with Pentax's latest technologies, including three focusing modes, dedicated AF buttons on the lens barrel, a silent DC focusing system, the premium HD lens coating, and a super low dispersion glass element for superior aberration control. It offers the longest focal length for a zoom in the current Pentax lens lineup, and thus fills an important gap that had previously existed beyond 250mm. Its 150-450mm zoom range also complements the existing DA* 300mm F4 and DA 560mm F5.6 primes very nicely. . . .
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

-___________________________________________________________________________________________

PentaxForums.com → Pentax Lenses and Accessories → Lens Clubs → Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-penta...#ixzz60FT6J7VB

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-22-2019 at 03:33 AM.