Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Great ideas. I'm going to go back to the same spot tonight since its not going anywhere and try all these solutions(bracket, expose for highlights, even change the shooting mode to mute) to see what I get. However I must point out that I don't get the Pastel Colors with different brand cameras(i.e. Canon). So I'm guessing it's something about the Sony sensor. This one here came out OK, although with a little post processing.
Wow I would hate to be stricken with a Canon sensor and its lack of iso invariance with this subject matter!. The gas station example in my iso invariance link above was f4 1/90 iso 200 for the better one. The inferior comparison was iso1600 f4 1/90 and pretty well ex camera. I was still learning about iso invariance then - now I would take it f4 1/90 iso 100.
Prerequisites for getting a good shot are
Raw - base iso -- and making sure exposure is low enough that any highlights you want colours in are not clipped.
Edit - what were your settings for these shots and were you saving to raw?

09-21-2019, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
iso invariance
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up and learned a bunch.
09-21-2019, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up and learned a bunch.
When I did this thread I was still learning about it myself and trying to work out whether it should be part of my workflow. Iso invariance - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Now my iso is almost always at 100.
09-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
In Italy, gas is roughly 1.55 €/liter...
...a US liquid gallon is 3.7854[...] liters, i.e. 5.86[...]€, i.e. 6.45 USD...
But then- Italy is not a major oil/gas- producing country like the US. When I was younger, the US population was a fraction of what it is now, so we did not need to import oil, or much else for than matter. Gasoline was very inexpensive. We we basically produced whatever we needed and were self-sufficient in most things.

As to overexposure, it does indeed affect color. I often shoot a particular scene having passing ships later in the evening, with a sizable lighted red sign on a building across the river. Trouble is, getting my lower-light exposure right for my subject will overexpose the bright sign, so the red then looks more akin to light orange.

09-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
But then- Italy is not a major oil/gas- producing country like the US. When I was younger, the US population was a fraction of what it is now, so we did not need to import oil, or much else for than matter. Gasoline was very inexpensive. We we basically produced whatever we needed and were self-sufficient in most things.

As to overexposure, it does indeed affect color. I often shoot a particular scene having passing ships later in the evening, with a sizable lighted red sign on a building across the river. Trouble is, getting my lower-light exposure right for my subject will overexpose the bright sign, so the red then looks more akin to light orange.
...not even a minor one, for that matter!

Yes, clipping one single channel will obviously alter the relationship between the various color.
10-04-2019, 04:07 AM   #21

Perhaps adjust white balance?