Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
GX20 - first outing

I recently found that for various odd reasons I had become Pentaxless - this is not a good state to be in.

In the past I had looked at the K5/K7 but found the balance to be just wrong - or rather the grip design and my hand just didn't fit. However, a few years back I did have a Samsung GX10. Now, I have to say it was a bit of a mixed bag - but seemed to follow the plot that the K10D was a so so jpg machine but great at RAW. OK, fine but it also seemed to be a bit rubbish at handling bright contrasty scenes. The display on mine was very dull too.

What I did like was the work that Samsung put in to the menu system which was pleasant to use. So, the other day a well cared for GX20 (12500 clicks) came along with the 18-55 kit lens for a very acceptable price.

Today was its first outing along with a Sigma 28mm MINI-WIDE II and a rubber lens hood. Low hard bright sun provided lots of challenging lighting and I have to say I was very pleased indeed with the results. Lovely shutter action reminded me of the K-r - but boy what a light trigger! Soon found it easier to use the back AF button but no matter.

Lens was set to infinity less a tad, ISO 100 P mode and just point and shoot on the beep. A few shots were taken at waist level by point and listen, trusting the 28mm to catch the subject. I have to say I was truly amazed at the difference between the GX10, my old (gone) K200D and the GX20. Handled light and shade out of the box no mess no fuss. The lens behaved much better with the hood - no flaring and all exposures on the nail with no adjustment. A couple are out of true due to hair trigger shutter - that's my excuse.

The few below are literally out of the camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX20  Photo 
09-21-2019, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am pleased with my GX20 too. I was lucky to get it for a great price so 10 for value. It does get noisier quicker than my K3 though, I don't like going above 800asa.

Note the easy EVF magnification for manual focus - just press the centre button on the 4 way controller.
The only other niggle is that I have to use adobe dng converter on the .srw files before importing into LR3.
09-21-2019, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K20D/GX20 has a "professional" look to its pictures, doesn't it? I remember how I used to like the skin tones and the greens I got out of it.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.