Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2019, 04:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
3rd party batteries & iBatteries.co.uk

I have a KP and need more batteries. I managed to source a Hahnel for £10, but I want another. I have seen a post in which an annsmann swelled, so scratch that! As for iBatteries, they are advertising genuine Pentax for £27 inc. postage. This is cheap and i am suspicious. So
1) can anyone recommend a 3rd party available in the UK

2) has anyone dealt with iBatteries? And are they legit?

09-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I think the clue is in the spelling (unless I have a different website). 'Batterys'? I think not. Look at the negative feedback here: Ibatterys Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of ibatterys.co.uk

I would avoid.

My experience with 3rd party batteries is that they do not last, I have had to dispose of more than a few and now only use Pentax batteries, it pays in the long run and saves a lot of grief with prematurely discharged batteries. Having said that, perhaps others here can attest to better experience (in the long run) with a particular manufacturer.
09-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

I have 3 Maxsima batteries, one of which is a failure. The other two have been consistent performers. I also have 2 DSTE batteries both also consistent. I also have one which is unnamed /unbranded and is a failure (I forget where this came from) . Finally I have 2 Pentax batteries. My experience with the 3rd party batteries is generally quite good although they don't hold their charge as long as the Pentax ones. However, it is pretty difficult to be definitive because i cycle them almost randomly between two cameras and sometimes use them intensively and sometimes not. I always carry two spares (!) and on holiday I take them all together with a standard charger and a portable (car) charger. I have never been stranded with dead batteries.

For what it is worth .....
09-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow! I'm glad I didn't buy in haste! The hahnel one I have coming is old stock, hence £10. They get a good enough review. Wilkinsons sell annsmann so they should be OK, then there is Duracell direct. I think that providing the batteries come from a decent source I should be safe enough. I have two Patona batteries for my K3 and each one lasts about half as long as my Pentax original. I will probably just plump for a name I know

09-27-2019, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I buy only manufacturer's batteries. Only Pentax. I've bought a lot and they keep on working. My luck with 3rd party batteries has not been good.
09-27-2019, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Tried various 3rd party batteries - most have been "medium" to "poor" in terms of capacity and life, and some (particularly D-Li109 versions) have even swelled so they won't fit into the camera body.

OTOH, I have found, over a couple of years or so, that the DSTE-branded D-Li90 and D-Li109 ones from an Amazon UK supplier seem to have pretty good capacity and last quite well, with no problems so far. Therefore those are what I would recommend if you can't run to the cost of the genuine Pentax versions.
09-27-2019, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also only use original Pentax batteries. Other brand batteries did not seem to hold a charge, so I found them unreliable and did not use them anymore.

09-28-2019, 12:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Bristol Cameras seem to be a "proper shop", are Pentax retailers and can supply 3rd-party batteries ... I've dealt with them, they're very helpful and their prices are good.

... 'nuff said
09-28-2019, 05:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

SRS have a deal on batteries this weekend - £10 off normal price. Pentax D-LI109 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery - Pentax Batteries & Chargers - Batteries & Chargers - Accessories
09-28-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #10

I use 3 Hahnel batteries for my two K-1 bodies and I have great time with them. In my opinion they are no different from the originals. They are cheap too: Hähnel - For Pentax
09-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a hahnel on the way, I also picked up two newmowa ones based on a number of reviews online on their other products. If they are rubbish I will let you know worst case, I have paid £17 for a USB battery charger and two small paperweights lol

---------- Post added 09-28-19 at 12:37 PM ----------

I just found another thread that mentions the newmowa. In a test it provided 2/3 of the shots than you get from the Pentax. That's fine. I got them so I don't run out of power when I go to Cadiz. The Pentax will be my primary battery, hahnel secondary and the other two charged just in case. As for the charger, it seems there is often an issue with regulation so shouldn't be used too much. This isn't a problem as I have my original. Happy days
10-01-2019, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Have a look at Wasabi or, if they're available in the US, Watson. They've been impossible to differentiate from my OEM batteries and have worked for many years.
10-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Have a look at Wasabi or, if they're available in the US, Watson. They've been impossible to differentiate from my OEM batteries and have worked for many years.
I am in the UK I have a hahnel on the way which is a decent manufacturer and my KP is currently running with the first of my cheap newmowas, so we will see my plan is to use the newmowa as one of three and always have a decent battery in reserve
10-01-2019, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
my plan is to use the newmowa as one of three and always have a decent battery in reserve
Good plan, and if you're lucky you'll never notice the difference. I roll with three batteries total for my K-1 II, K-3 and a backup, they all get cycled repeatedly and I never know which is which.
10-03-2019, 05:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, first impression of newmowa batteries is that they are quite staggeringly poor. I have one charged with the Pentax standard charger. We will see if that is any better!

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 05:49 AM ----------

Slight update, the battery in question was fast charged and the indicator turned yellow when I was using live view, its now green again. If I get 100 images from each charge I will be happy enough