Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #16

For my K-1II I have been using theseamazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery for Pentax D-LI90 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& for about two years with no problems. They seem to be well made and appear to be nearly identical to OEM.

10-16-2019, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Progress report, the newmowas have been really good for a very cheap battery. Testing continues.....
10-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Tried various 3rd party batteries - most have been "medium" to "poor" in terms of capacity and life, and some (particularly D-Li109 versions) have even swelled so they won't fit into the camera body.

OTOH, I have found, over a couple of years or so, that the DSTE-branded D-Li90 and D-Li109 ones from an Amazon UK supplier seem to have pretty good capacity and last quite well, with no problems so far. Therefore those are what I would recommend if you can't run to the cost of the genuine Pentax versions.
Update on the above:

Whilst I am still very happy with the performance & life of the DSTE-brande D-Li90 batteries, I took recently one of their D-Li109 clones (bought only a year or two ago) to use in the K-70 on holiday and found that it now has a very short life - not as good as a 2012-dated Pentax original, and far worse than the 2018-dated Pentax battery that came with the K-70.

I also have another DSTE D-Li109 clone, bought with the first one, and I now need to check out how well that is faring, but I won't be surprised if it is in relatively poor condition!
10-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I bought which I believe fake Pentax batteries on eBay. I think they won't last that long. May I know where to order Wasabi batteries? Thanks

10-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I bought which I believe fake Pentax batteries on eBay. I think they won't last that long. May I know where to order Wasabi batteries? Thanks
I can't get wasabi in the UK. Try amazon? Other good makes include hahnel, duracel, Watson. I got some cheap ones called Newmowa, they seem to be OK. Good luck
10-20-2019, 02:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

New update to my post #18:

I reported the problem battery to the Amazon Marketplace supplier ("QiaoJL") and it has agreed to replace the faulty unit because it is within its 24 month warrantee period - that should be arriving on Tuesday 22nd.

BTW: the other clone from the same source at the same time seems to be OK as it took the normal "long time" to charge up, whereas the faulty one showed "fully charged" in less than 30 mins.

OTOH: 2 more bought from the same supplier in October 2017 are definitely faulty - so it seems that that these D-Li109 clones have a usable life of 2 years but little, if anything, more than that.
10-20-2019, 04:14 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I can't get wasabi in the UK. Try amazon? Other good makes include hahnel, duracel, Watson. I got some cheap ones called Newmowa, they seem to be OK. Good luck
Thanks. I'll check them out. I hope it will be cheaper. The freight cost might kill me as I'm in the Philippines.

10-20-2019, 06:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Progress report, the newmowas have been really good for a very cheap battery. Testing continues.....
Would you say it is comparable to d-li109?
10-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Thanks. I'll check them out. I hope it will be cheaper. The freight cost might kill me as I'm in the Philippines.
I think Watson ones are available in Australia. You may even get wasabis

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Would you say it is comparable to d-li109?
Genuine Pentax? Noooooo you get about half the life, but that is why they are cheap I use the genuine Pentax charger. I checked out their other products and the reviews are pretty good but we won't really know until I have used them for a while as performance sometimes drops on the cheap stuff
10-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Hahnel LI90, which will give you about half the life of a Pentax, and another mysterious Chinese made one, which is good for about a third of the time. Probably best just to stick to Pentax originals.
10-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Have a look at Wasabi or, if they're available in the US, Watson. They've been impossible to differentiate from my OEM batteries and have worked for many years.
I agree. I've had a Watson, since I've had my K3. I cannot tell any difference in the Watson and the Pentax battery. Both hold the charge well, and last about the same.
10-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Genuine Pentax? Noooooo you get about half the life, but that is why they are cheap I use the genuine Pentax charger. I checked out their other products and the reviews are pretty good but we won't really know until I have used them for a while as performance sometimes drops on the cheap stuff
Last time I checked those batteries were at 1600mAh so a much higher level than pentax one. I guess these is wrong info then
10-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Last time I checked those batteries were at 1600mAh so a much higher level than pentax one. I guess these is wrong info then
Absolutely. I think the Pentax is 1050mAH. Another brand that I have used with my K3 is patona. Once again, not as good as the original but they have been reliable
10-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

What other good sites do I go to besides eBay and Amazon for these batteries?
10-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 4 genuine D-Li90s and cycle them round my cameras. The beauty of Pentax is that these batteries fit my K-5, K-1 & 645D and are generally inexpensive. While I might be tempted to use a 3rd party battery in my K-5, there's no way I'd do so in the others.