Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2019, 03:37 PM - 4 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
That would be pretty high, lot more than double of what I thought!
$1600 is more than double what you are expecting? There is absolutely no chance this camera will launch for $700.

Several factors at play:

- The K-3, Pentax' last APS flagship launched at $1299.
- Digital camera tech is mature, sales are sluggish compared to even a few years ago, which should push the price down.
- Pentax is foolishly looked over by a sizable portion of the market, which will assure the camera launches at a much cheaper price than if it were badged Canikon.
- BUT, Pentax are steadily maneuvering towards a more 'bespoke' position in the market, which may edge the price upward. (*).

I'd say $1200 - $1500 at launch.

* - I think we long time Pentaxians have regarded our cameras as bespoke all along and have happily benefited from the amazing value for price offered by the brand.

09-27-2019, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I would still say if price is above $1.2K it would be much better to go for a k1
??? Is the K-1 APS-C, compatible with all my DA-Limiteds? I do think there is value in a high spec'd APS-C body, and quite
conceivably enough value to merit a price of >$1200. The K-1 >IS< an answer for a lot of people but it certainly isn't as simple
as saying 'budget less than $1200 go APS, budget more than $1200 go FF'.

Having said that I'll admit I won't be shelling >$1200 for the new flagship. Per prior purchases, I will wait for the glossy veneer of newness
to wear off and purchase the camera once it settles into its saturated market pricing as I did with the K-3 and K10D before.
09-27-2019, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect everyone's being way too optimistic. If this camera really is going to have 150 something focus points and improved video and who knows what else, that's going to cost some scratch. I'm guessing $1,800+.
09-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Smaller pix will also mean a tradeoff on high ISO ..like we see between K5ii and K3ii
With the rumored BSI sensor, that ain't necessarily so.

The tiny pixels in the Q system punch well above their weight,
thanks to the BSI technology.

09-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1200 to start, 6 months later 900
09-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Asahi man "Is a price around 1700 - 2000 $€ OK for an upper APS-C class than K-3 ll line?
Best regards"

Read more at: Seven months before the successor of the K3II? - Page 20 - PentaxForums.com
I grin a little. He only posts here on PF in spurts about once or twice a year. That thread was from Spring of 2017 and resulted in a comment that for that price it better have "perfect gaskets" as well as several other items.

Steve

(..."Are those gaskets perfect?"..."But of course! Buy the camera and you can test 'em!"...)
09-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh doesn't seem too interested in chasing market share. Rather, they focus on servicing an existing clientele (not a viable strategy in the long term, given the average age of members on this forum). Therefore, they probably don't feel impelled to keep the price as low as possible. They expect we'll buy anyway. Especially as DSLR becomes more and more niche, price may no longer be a major driver of take-up.

09-27-2019, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would still say if price is above $1.2K it would be much better to go for a k1
We buy apples when oranges are too expensive?

Steve
09-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #39

1800-2000$
09-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Pentax will have an innovation(s) in this camera that cannot be ignored. They always come up with something new. The only question is whether the innovation(s) will be a little bit clunky, requiring a mark II of this new model to have all of the bugs worked out. If Pentax does a slam dunk of their new innovation(s) in [K-3-III], getting them RIGHT on first introduction, exactly as they did with K-5 and K-1, this new camera will be worth the price, whatever it opens at.

And in any case, I suggest that this new camera will end up as the best APS-C camera of all time, since other makers haven't pursued this niche. King of the class, forever. Let's just hope Sony doesn't sabotage the 26mpx sensor.
09-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The only question is whether the innovation(s) will be a little bit clunky, requiring a mark II of this new model to have all of the bugs worked out.
I am trying to remember an example of a Pentax-brand mark II that was released to correct bugs, instability, or clunky implementation in the mark I. The ones I remember for dSLRs (K-5II/IIs, K-3II, and K-1ii) were feature roll-outs with the most significant being removal of the anti-alias filter on the K-5IIs and addition of built-in Astrotracer and Sensor-shift resolution on the K-3II.

Edit: The closest I could find to a remedial mark II might by the Spotmatic ESII film camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-27-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: clarity
09-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am trying to remember an example of a mark II that was released to correct bugs, instability, or clunky implementation in the mark I. The ones I remember for dSLRs (K-5II/IIs, K-3II, and K-1ii) were feature roll-outs with the most significant being removal of the anti-alias filter on the K-5IIs and addition of built-in Astrotracer and Sensor-shift resolution on the K-3II.

Steve
I'm not saying any mark ii's necessarily WERE required. The items you mentioned were indeed new features, not fixes. I just hope that Pentax gets it all done right and this one does not become a first. Given the delay getting to this model, I'm anticipating very ambitious changes. I hope they are done with care. If this camera is solid with something new, lack of a flippy screen won't matter. And if the prototype shown so far indeed has a hidden, flush mount articulating screen, all I can say is "Wow!"
09-27-2019, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I'm not saying any mark ii's necessarily WERE required. The items you mentioned were indeed new features, not fixes. I just hope that Pentax gets it all done right and this one does not become a first. Given the delay getting to this model, I'm anticipating very ambitious changes. I hope they are done with care. If this camera is solid with something new, lack of a flippy screen won't matter. And if the prototype shown so far indeed has a hidden, flush mount articulating screen, all I can say is "Wow!"
Cool! My hope is that if they err, it be on the side of being solid rather than gee-whizz.

Steve
09-28-2019, 01:50 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Also, I'm not in the habit of telling companies how much I'm willing to pay before they tell me how much they want me to pay.
absolutely agree.

however if at USD $1400 that is about AUD $2070 that is nearly K-1 price. too much
09-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
(...) I'll admit I won't be shelling >$1200 for the new flagship. Per prior purchases, I will wait for the glossy veneer of newness
to wear off and purchase the camera once it settles into its saturated market pricing as I did with the K-3 and K10D before.

Yep. Similar strategy here. Anything way above 1200 euros asking price for the body would likely put it out of my reach. Neither K-7 nor K-3 were fresh releases when I finally got them, and neither of them would have been affordable for me at their launch prices. But it's not the price alone. I also like manufacturers to be past initial teething problems - remember Flappy Mirror Syndrome and such? - before I pick up a product.

One thing is for sure though: If the new APS-C flagship is a significant upgrade over the K-3 II and even the KP, which looks to be the case, it will be my next camera, even if I have to wait a little.