Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #76
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
Whats goig to be in this flagship that will attract me away from a Canon EOSRP or even a Z6?
No-one can possibly say until the new camera's specification and feature set is published.

Until then, the benefits of APS-C over full frame (and vice versa) are your starting point for knowing which is better for you - and this really is fundamental. After that, OVF vs EVF, the Pentax glass you already own (I assume you own some great glass if you're even considering this camera?), etc. etc.

I can't help but feel you're comparing apples with oranges. You'll know better than us what your intended use cases and preferences are. Based on that, it should be pretty straightforward to figure out whether you'll be better off with APS-C or full frame, DSLR or mirrorless, and why. Once you've established that, you can figure out which exact model would meet your needs best.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-29-2019 at 12:34 PM.
09-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The pricing will of course depend also whether you opt for the flippy or static screen option.
09-29-2019, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #78
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whats goig to be in this flagship that will attract me away from a Canon EOSRP or even a Z6?
One thing I can say for sure: a mature line of lenses which has been around for almost have a century

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2019, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If those two cameras are attractive to you, that answer is...nothing. Apples vs. sweet corn.

Steve

09-29-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #80

What are those cameras lacking that would make you shop around?
09-29-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What are those cameras lacking that would make you shop around?
Battery life?
09-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think if you're expecting Pentax to produce something that rivals the AF features to rival eye-AF (even at the Canon/Nikon level), I would be very surprised. Like many have said, it really comes down to the APS-C vs FF (if FF is of big importance, I would almost urge you to just wait until the upgrades trickle to whenever Pentax releases the FF-option), DSLR vs mirrorless, EVF vs OVF (unless the hybrid thing is a real thing). I think the RP leaves a little bit on the table... the 5fps and then that battery life would make me think again. I also think it's not a camera which video isn't really a plus (w/1.6crop + no DP AF during video). At roughly $1,100... that entry price is hard to beat though! The Z6 is a little more difficult to criticize. I feel like if video features is important, then its already a slam-dunk for the Z6. Battery life is also a pretty big knock on Z6 too. Unlike the RP, I think at $1700 the Z6 is more close to the high end of what the new camera could be. A big knock for both Canon/Nikon mirrorless (even the high end) is the single card-slot... if that means anything.

For me, the biggest thing really comes down to the lenses that you have. If you have very few high quality K-mount lenses, then you could probably entertain switching systems. I really like the FF-compatible lens lineup I've assembled! and I have no want to have to start over. I also continue to look at prices at Sony/Nikon/Canon, and the price of lenses that are similarly spec to what I have... and it is difficult to justify unless I'm a professional. I also love Pentax because I feel like I've never had a camera that just gave me the comfort in ergonomics and the security that it can withstand anything. I don't need Pentax to beat the specs of anyone! If they are just in the ballpark, that is more than fine to me.

09-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #83
Inactive Account

A $1K price for APSC seemed ok when I bought my K5ii in 2013, but today CanNikSon have marched way ahead in terms of AF and have caught up with DR and high ISO perf.
That's exactly what I am thinking right now. Buying a new body "for me" is not as clear cut as many. I compromise my investment. In fact it is just about anything in life... I guess.
In past, Pentax was an easy choice for me. I am looking for dynamic range and good low light performance in a small package, etc. K5 + DA limited checked almost every boxes on my list. It even go beyond with inbody stabilization, many more.
Now what really left "for me" is price, and some lenses I really like.

Pentax will price the new APSC body to whatever they see fit. And I still have to see a full specs of the new body. Without it, all I/we are doing now is guessing basis of our own fantasy.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 09-29-2019 at 04:04 PM.
09-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried the EOS RP?
09-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

From your earlier posts suggesting a sub-$800 price and the $1000 price point of your last camera, I would expect that a new KP would be an incredibly amazing upgrade for you at a price that won't leave you wondering why you bought it. OTOH, perhaps yours is a rhetorical question? In that case, the not so rhetorical answer is that as a potential Pentax K-? dSLR buyer, neither of those cameras would meet even my most basic needs, even if they should be available at the price of a NOS A7 (less than $800)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2019 at 06:02 PM.
09-30-2019, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
I think if you're expecting Pentax to produce something that rivals the AF features to rival eye-AF (even at the Canon/Nikon level), I would be very surprised. Like many have said, it really comes down to the APS-C vs FF (if FF is of big importance, I would almost urge you to just wait until the upgrades trickle to whenever Pentax releases the FF-option), DSLR vs mirrorless, EVF vs OVF (unless the hybrid thing is a real thing). I think the RP leaves a little bit on the table... the 5fps and then that battery life would make me think again. I also think it's not a camera which video isn't really a plus (w/1.6crop + no DP AF during video). At roughly $1,100... that entry price is hard to beat though! The Z6 is a little more difficult to criticize. I feel like if video features is important, then its already a slam-dunk for the Z6. Battery life is also a pretty big knock on Z6 too. Unlike the RP, I think at $1700 the Z6 is more close to the high end of what the new camera could be. A big knock for both Canon/Nikon mirrorless (even the high end) is the single card-slot... if that means anything.

For me, the biggest thing really comes down to the lenses that you have. If you have very few high quality K-mount lenses, then you could probably entertain switching systems. I really like the FF-compatible lens lineup I've assembled! and I have no want to have to start over. I also continue to look at prices at Sony/Nikon/Canon, and the price of lenses that are similarly spec to what I have... and it is difficult to justify unless I'm a professional. I also love Pentax because I feel like I've never had a camera that just gave me the comfort in ergonomics and the security that it can withstand anything. I don't need Pentax to beat the specs of anyone! If they are just in the ballpark, that is more than fine to me.
I very much doubt that this camera will have a true hybrid viewfinder, meaning that there probably won't be eye AF with the OVF. As with previous cameras, it will be available with live view. With regard to auto focus, the rumor is that this camera is going to have 153 auto focus points that cover most of the sensor. That's a big jump over previous APS-C cameras and depending on what Pentax does with them the auto focus could make some nice progress. I'm not saying D500 level, but fast enough that Pentaxians will be pleased.

The biggest reason to stick with Pentax is the lenses. Certainly you can mount all sorts of lenses on mirrorless cameras, but the new lenses for the Z and RP cameras are not cheap. On the Z side, you have lenses like a 28mm f1.8 lens for 1000 and a 50mm f1.8 for 600. Their 24-70 f2.8 is 2200 and 24-70 f4 is 1000. On the Canon RP side, their 24-70 f2.8 is 2300 and the 28-70 f2 is a cool 3000. Their 15-35 f2.8 is 2300. I suppose you could just mount F mount or EOS mount lenses on those cameras, but then you might as well just buy an SLR and not mess with an adapter.

That said, I think the coming camera is going to be too rich for the OP. Prices of camera gear are not sinking, except for older stuff or entry level stuff. It is pretty clear that as camera sales sink, brands have to figure how to wring more money out of photographers per camera and lens purchased (a bit cynical take, but it feels accurate to me).
09-30-2019, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That said, I think the coming camera is going to be too rich for the OP. Prices of camera gear are not sinking, except for older stuff or entry level stuff. It is pretty clear that as camera sales sink, brands have to figure how to wring more money out of photographers per camera and lens purchased (a bit cynical take, but it feels accurate to me).
Gear is going to be more expensive in the near future. On the other hand, when you see how small is the gain is with every generation, you are going to hold onto your body and lenses much longer.
09-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For 1600 dollar price, Pentax would have to have D500 level performance (excellent auto focus, 4K video, at least 10 fps with large buffer)
This is pretty much it. I'd like to upgrade my K50 to something better suited to wildlife shooting. If the new Pentax DSLR is it, great. If not, it's time to say Hello D500.
09-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #89

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think most of us were surprised - and pleased - at the price of the K-1, though.
Price for K1 seemed ok when it came out ..at that time only D750 was close enough in price.
Fast forwward today, same d750 is sold for around $1K and Z6, EOS R are much better options compared to K1 with a slightly more price.
Who would dare and buy K1ii today??
09-30-2019, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #90
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Price for K1 seemed ok when it came out ..at that time only D750 was close enough in price.
Fast forwward today, same d750 is sold for around $1K and Z6, EOS R are much better options compared to K1 with a slightly more price.
Who would dare and buy K1ii today??
If you're going to make bold claims like that - especially here, in a brand-specific community - you owe it to the rest of your fellow members to explain the basis of that assessment, otherwise it just comes across as trolling (and I trust that's not your intention). So... what factors are you basing that assessment on? Please be specific, so we understand the precise reasons for your conclusion.

As for who would dare buy a K-1II today, I certainly would if I didn't already own (older, non-Pentax) full frame capability. But I suspect my assessment criteria are very different to yours. We won't know until you explain...