Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2019, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
K1000 for the 21st century

With the new APS-C “flagship” or whatever this new camera turns out to be, it seems a lot of people are kind of disappointed (even though there’s minimal technical information on it). I was fidgeting with a K1000 I’m getting ready to sell, and I started looking it over. It’d be a tight fit, but why can’t Ricoh develop a K-mount mirrorless camera with the form of getting people interested in Pentax again? Think about it: mirrorless is all the rage right now. You build a quality but cheap (price point) mirrorless body that does one thing and one thing only: take pictures. This is where my manufacturing and technical ignorance comes in, but the only thing that would need to be built from scratch would be the sensor. They could keep costs down by raiding the old parts bin. Just a thought.

For clarification, I’m not one of those people who’re chomping at the bit for mirrorless. I just think a new K1000-esque camera could bring people back to the system, and bring people for the first time.

09-30-2019, 04:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
it seems a lot of people are kind of disappointed (even though there’s minimal technical information on it)
exactly, I for one would bet that the new camera will be fantastic, just a matter of whether I can afford it, but then I'm never an early adopter, it will come down in price and low mileage second hand cameras will come on the market.
09-30-2019, 04:31 AM   #3

but the only thing that would need to be built from scratch would be the sensor
Quite the opposite. The sensor would require relatively minor adjustments Ricoh did before. What wouldn't be so easy are AF algorithms, EVF, and, most importantly, new mount and a whole new fleet of optics Pentax is clearly unable to afford.

I think that the decision to stay with DSLRs for the time being is the only viable one for Pentax. The competition in the mirroless market is just far too aggressive.
09-30-2019, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
didn't that already happen with the K-01?

09-30-2019, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

why can’t Ricoh develop a K-mount mirrorless camera with the form of getting people interested in Pentax again? Think about it: mirrorless is all the rage right now.
It can. But given the available development team and R&D budget, it would have to pause DSLR development in the mean time, and DSLRs are the Pentax brand's core competency and market so far as digital cameras are concerned. With the forthcoming Pentax APS-C DSLR, Ricoh is - at the very least - playing to a large chunk of its established audience, with the possibility of attracting others if the camera is something particularly special. A new mirrorless body would speak to a smaller portion of the existing audience, and may or may not attract those shooting other brands - especially since there's already lots of choice in the MILC market these days...
09-30-2019, 05:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's very tempting to wonder what it would be like to have an early 1980s style digital camera, essientially just substituting a digital sensor for the film - I don't know how doable it would be - sensors take up more room than film - and it would encourage people to buy older second hand lenses to go with it, which wouldn't benefit Ricoh at all - but there must be lots of people who miss the simplicity of those cameras and would love to regain that sense of being in control of every aspect of the process (yes, I know you can be on the K-1, for example, but chosing too when you have a choice isn't the same as having to when you have no choice). It would be a brave thing to do for Ricoh though, even if they could sell it for well under $1,000 AND at a big profit (to make it worth the lack of lens etc sales).
09-30-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

may be this can help with the thoughts about mirror less

09-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A Fuji X-T[x] is kind of the close to a K1000. It has the on the top plate dial for shutter speed selection. The overall size and heft remind me of my older Yashica Electro TL-X. So, it’s all possible with enough time, energy, and money.
09-30-2019, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

...but why can’t Ricoh develop a K-mount mirrorless camera with the form of getting people interested in Pentax again? Think about it: mirrorless is all the rage right now.
So you're drinking the Kool-Aid too?

Newsflash: Despite mirrorless being "all the rage" since 2001 (or was it even before?), DSLRs still outsell mirrorless cameras despite the fact that Canon and Nikon dove into that market head-first.

With the camera market shrinking 20-30% each year, don't expect Ricoh to create a new mount and start all over again in mirrorless, build a new lens lineup, etc. It just makes no sense for the business. They need to capture the DSLR market that others are abandoning, if they do any investment in this shrinking market (ILC cameras) at all.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-30-2019 at 08:42 AM.
09-30-2019, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the new APS-C “flagship” or whatever this new camera turns out to be, it seems a lot of people are kind of disappointed
I'm not understanding this or perhaps you mean on other forums? I've read most of the posts on this forum about the new body and the response seems to be overwhelmingly positive. Almost glowingly positive.

As to making a mirrorless inside a K1000 isn't that essentially what Fuji has done? Pentax certainly is not going to attempt anything so speculative considering the declining market and their minuscule market share. Besides, (outside of nostalgia) who would want the K1000 form factor in a digital camera? It is just plain awkward to hold and use all the buttons required for digital. The K-3 / K-1 is far better ergonomically.
09-30-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I think the question of a mirrorless k-mount has been discussed extensively. the only reasonable answer is the K-01, the same mount, backwards compatible, but with a huge empty space to make up for the long flange distance. The other option: making a new K-mount with the same physical bayonet but with a shorter flange distance would be ludicrous, because there wouldnt be compatibility with older lenses, making total confusion. the only viable option would be a new mount like canon's or nikon's with an adapter for k-mount in the standard kit(since it would be just a tube). But this option would require a lot of R&D and human resources, which sadly they dont have.
By the way, it you are looking for a vintage looking Pentax dslr, you already have it, get a silver KP.
09-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it seems a lot of people are kind of disappointed
Which people do you mean? Jarhead the loudmouth? The YouTube glossies? Your own camera club? No-one's had their mitts on a production example yet so no-one can really say much about it, far less be "disappointed". I'll make one confident prediction about the thing – it will take photographs, digitally. There!
09-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the new APS-C “flagship” or whatever this new camera turns out to be, it seems a lot of people are kind of disappointed (even though there’s minimal technical information on it). I was fidgeting with a K1000 I’m getting ready to sell, and I started looking it over. It’d be a tight fit, but why can’t Ricoh develop a K-mount mirrorless camera with the form of getting people interested in Pentax again? Think about it: mirrorless is all the rage right now. You build a quality but cheap (price point) mirrorless body that does one thing and one thing only: take pictures. This is where my manufacturing and technical ignorance comes in, but the only thing that would need to be built from scratch would be the sensor. They could keep costs down by raiding the old parts bin. Just a thought.

For clarification, I’m not one of those people who’re chomping at the bit for mirrorless. I just think a new K1000-esque camera could bring people back to the system, and bring people for the first time.
Retro cameras are a bit of a niche product though. While I thought the Nikon Df is gorgeous, not many are buying. Not a mirrorless, but you get my drift. Retro cameras are a niche - DSLR or mirrorless won't matter.
09-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
it will take photographs, digitally
Dare I say it will do it quite well.
09-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Retro cameras are a bit of a niche product though. While I thought the Nikon Df is gorgeous, not many are buying. Not a mirrorless, but you get my drift. Retro cameras are a niche - DSLR or mirrorless won't matter.
One could argue enthusiast level cameras are becoming a niche in general.

Anyways, if I want to use a retro camera I'll use my retro cameras. Film isn't quite dead you know.