Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
my wife's 100km ultra marathon
Wow that's like 2.37 marathons back to back... please pass both my respect and congratulations to your wife, for taking on such a mighty challenge.

11-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Wow that's like 2.37 marathons back to back... please pass both my respect and congratulations to your wife, for taking on such a mighty challenge.
Thank you, will do.
11-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Which explains why so many of us buy from Adorama and B&H.
Yeah. It probably would have gotten to me quicker. And been cheaper.

When I was comparing prices, there was very little difference between buying here or from the US. By the time I pulled the trigger, the local price had gone up by $150, and then the K-70 price dropped at B&H. Could have saved myself $250.

The price you pay for living here, I guess. Remoteness and small population means we pay a premium. Although I was pleasantly surprised to find local retailers stocking Peak Design accessories for cheaper than I could get direct from the Peak Design website. Got a Peak Design Slide for NZ$89. It's NZ$105 on the website (before shipping).

What's the deal with Pentax warranty if you buy from overseas?
11-13-2019, 01:33 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwidave Quote

I've never had a warranty issue, but I suspect it would need to be returned to the USA. That would not be a bad thing, in my view, as the local agent is considered to be less than useless.

11-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #50
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

The purpose of a warranty is to deal with the occasional cases of infant mortality - on certain rare occasions, electronics {especially} dies shortly after first use. I prefer not to ever have to use warranty and virtually never purchase "extended warranty"; the one case of mishap I remember wasn't even 'covered'. It is nice to have that assurance, but I prefer not to use it - and I don't believe I ever have with any product.
11-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It is nice to have that assurance, but I prefer not to use it - and I don't believe I ever have with any product.

You never have? I salute your good luck then. I don't quite understand your meaning though.

You prefer not to use it. If something you purchased fails during the warranty period, would you not have it repaired under warranty? What alternative is there? Would you rather pay to have it repaired yourself, or simply discard it and buy another? Sorry, I'm not being disparaging, or dismissive, I'm just not really sure what you mean. I think we would all prefer not to have the need to utilise a manufacturers warranty.

I'd simply like to know that if something I purchase fails, I have recourse to have it remedied, not at my expense.
11-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #52
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have recourse to have it remedied, not at my expense.
But it is at your expense because you pay for the extension.
I am another who figures that most faults will tend to show up in the normal warranty time.
11-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You never have? I salute your good luck then. I don't quite understand your meaning though.

You prefer not to use it. If something you purchased fails during the warranty period, would you not have it repaired under warranty? What alternative is there? Would you rather pay to have it repaired yourself, or simply discard it and buy another? Sorry, I'm not being disparaging, or dismissive, I'm just not really sure what you mean. I think we would all prefer not to have the need to utilise a manufacturers warranty.

I'd simply like to know that if something I purchase fails, I have recourse to have it remedied, not at my expense.
As I said earlier Dave, the local agent is pretty useless. Sending a Pentax purchase back to Adorama or B&H would be relatively painless.

Here's Ricoh-Imaging's warranty policy:

Attached Images