Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

waterlogged ist DL

For my first post I will embarass myself completely here but heres a quick question. I got caught in a storm while fishing rushed the boat home raced to the cottage to get warm and dry.In the morning i returned to the boat to bail it out ounly to find my ist DL in about two inches of water. It powwers up and display pictures but the muti function control is inoperative and the frame advance also doesnt work. well its starts a high speed slide show.
I shpouldn't even mention this is my second DL as the fiorst one someone liked enough to smash the car window. :-( So the question is....is it even worth having it looked at or should I assume that I will end up as one of the reason one should buy Pentax shares? Hmm might make an excuse to get a K10

10-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I did not let it sit over night, my *istD got swamped in a kayak. It was in an open dry bag, which is equally capable of holding water in as out.

It was in a constant shoot mode even when "turned off" by the switch.

I took off the lens, pulled the batteries, and memory card, let it sit upside down (I assumed water went around the switch and would exit the same way) and let it sit in the sun for 4 hours with all covers open.

It has worked fine ever since (more than 4 years) and has never seen a service tech.

p.s. remind me to never lend you equipment.
10-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whenever your stuff gets wet remove the batteries ASAP and DO NOT TRY to power it! Leave it dry for some days, inspect in and out if it's really dry then pray everything works. Generally it should work, if it was dipped in fresh water. If it was dipped in salty water you might want to open and clean it as salt is very conductive and can fry the electrical components.
10-15-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Whenever your stuff gets wet remove the batteries ASAP and DO NOT TRY to power it! Leave it dry for some days, inspect in and out if it's really dry then pray everything works. Generally it should work, if it was dipped in fresh water. If it was dipped in salty water you might want to open and clean it as salt is very conductive and can fry the electrical components.
Agreed. Turning it on, and powering up the circuits is the worst thing to do.
A friend dropped his in saltwater, and out of frustration, decided to try and save it from corrosion by taking out the battery and dip/drowning it in fresh water. He let it dry, and everything was ok, except the lens