Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brick and mortar camera stores

I noticed at least in the area I live there are fewer and Fewer brick and mortar camera stores. And those still open don't carry Pentax products. When I make a major purchase like a new DSLR I want to be able to touch it not just blindly order online.

10-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Syracuse area has one camera store left. She only keeps the store open because it was her father's store. It isn't very popular with local photographers that I've talked to because she has a no returns policy. She is also the only place that still processes film locally.

There is also a local discount department store with a photo department. I was told almost 10 years age by a salesman there that he couldn't sell Pentax...
10-02-2019, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #3

That's the trend in just about every major city. This is one brick and mortar store chain in Los Angeles / California that carries the K-1ii.

There was a video posted from one of the large Mid-West city brick and mortars where the general manager (owner?) complained about people that come in and spent time with the (paid) stuff handling and asking questions about equipment and then buying online. At the time there was no way for them to be able to match prices and cover sales tax and make any sort of profit. The requirement that online businesses collect out of state sales tax came too late to same most brick and mortar stores. It may not help even at this point.
10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
I noticed at least in the area I live there are fewer and Fewer brick and mortar camera stores
Not just camera stores. This is a common trend amongst all high street stores.

10-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That's just the way it is now days.

I have two stores with in 45 minute driving time from where I live. One, Roberts, in Indianapolis does have Pentax but most of it is all special order. Though they did have 1 or 2 K1's when they came out.

The other store is Jack's camera in Muncie, Indiana. No new Pentax but the used area at times can be full of K1000 and 50mm lenses. I have been told that they buy and sell the same K1000 with 50mm lenses many times because of the camera class at Ball State University.
10-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my MX in 1977 in my local camera shop in Worthing, UK (when I lived there) and spent a happy hour playing with it, and the OM-1 and FM2. It was no contest. Fast forward to 2005 when I bought my *ist DS in King Of Prussia mall in Philadelphia. I had to buy my K-5 blind in 2012 though; nowhere local to look at it, and fortunately it fit me like a glove, which is why I was happy to buy the K-3II the same way. But it’s no substitute for the personal experience, and it’s sad that it’s so difficult now.
10-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That's the trend in just about every major city. This is one brick and mortar store chain in Los Angeles / California that carries the K-1ii.

There was a video posted from one of the large Mid-West city brick and mortars where the general manager (owner?) complained about people that come in and spent time with the (paid) stuff handling and asking questions about equipment and then buying online. At the time there was no way for them to be able to match prices and cover sales tax and make any sort of profit. The requirement that online businesses collect out of state sales tax came too late to same most brick and mortar stores. It may not help even at this point.
My bricks and mortar store does have to order Pentax stuff in, but they really do add value like (if you buy their insurance as well which is about the same price as e-store insurance) free cleanings which add up pretty quickly. I know they have brought in at least 2 K1s as well as my K70.

10-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are multiple stories that they do not get supported by any of the companies like the online stores, so it is a consequence that they disappear. It seems "we" mostly are interested ion "cheap". Eventually, I guess this will happen to more and more stuff.
10-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Brick and mortar camera stores are few and far between as it is. In 10 years almost everything will be online anyway. I guess Pentax is just ahead of its time again.
10-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Storefronts of all kinds are disappearing.
It's pretty sad, because there are so many situations where touch, feel, fit, etc are important to the purchase decision. I live in a metro area of 7 million and finding the shoes I want can't be done in person without a lot of driving... and often not then. So... online (and return and return) or nothing.

Shoes. Everyone has shoes. Not everyone has a Pentax.
10-02-2019, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a brick and mortar store in Topeka KS:

Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS

but it doesn't carry Pentax

the best way I know to put hands on Pentax gear to see if you want to buy is to utilize the rentals:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-02-2019 at 07:27 PM.
10-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

there is only one in Huntsville, alabama southerland photo......haven't seen any pentax gear in it but they do have a ton of vintage stuff throughout the store....its like being in a tiny museum......dropped off a 120 roll to be developed and pick it up tomorrow....
10-03-2019, 02:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's been more than 20 years since the last local camera store disappear, and over 5 years that I have to send rolls to develop by mail.
The only place where you can actually see and feel some camera gear is Best Buy, which carries no Pentax. And good luck having any question answered.
10-03-2019, 02:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

We have one authorized company that deals with Pentax here in the Philippines. They have branches all over but, there are more Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji and other stuff compared to Pentax. I remembered buying my K-5II here and the manager said that's nice but why not take a look at the Nikon D7___. (For the sake of avoiding trouble with some Nikon fans, I'd rather hide the last 3 digits of that model.) Lucky me I went for what I wanted. Have you guys heard of the falling mirror. That's what's gonna happened to me if I got that camera.
10-03-2019, 04:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reaching the closest brick-and-mortar store carrying a reasonable array of Pentax gear would take me just shy of one hour by car. That one would be in the state capital of North Rhine-Westphalia, Düsseldorf.

The last time I saw anything Pentax branded in a local store must have been almost a decade ago.

Not that I bother all that much. Of all the four cameras I have owned in my life, only the first, a Minolta X-700, was purchased at a physical store, back in 1983, when I was a fourteen-year-old. All others, including two Pentaxes, were mail or online orders. And from reviews and product images, I already had a pretty accurate idea of what I could expect from the K-7 in terms of ergonomics. I wasn't disappointed when I finally got my hands on it.

We may bemoan the demise of brick-and-mortar stores as much as we want, but in my experience, it is rare to get impartial (let alone, sadly, competent) advice in them anyway, at least as far as Pentax is concerned. So, Ricoh should perhaps step up its online and social media marketing. There are some signs, actually, that this is something they're trying to do.