Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Depends on where the price lands for the new APSC body. I have a K5 and K3, both still work and get used even though I also have K1. I take the APSC bodies places I wouldn't want to risk my K1, like out sledding with the kids in the winter, or in a kayak in the summer. They are also backup bodies for things like weddings. I am not a wedding photographer but I am the uncle with camera equipment who is willing to shoot family weddings for free if budget is tight and expectations are low. Also my own kids like to shoot and handing them my 8 year old K5 with a DA35 attached makes them happy and me not too concerned if something were to happen...

So yeah, I will probably pick up the new camera and keep my old stuff. I like my K3 but it has recently developed an issue with the shutter button making it less reliable and I don't want to pay for a second K1 as my backup. Have been eyeing a KP but haven't done anything hoping the new flagship would come along.

10-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My KP is probably the last camera I will buy, it Fill all my needs, and you, it's take photos
10-03-2019, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I'll be keeping my K-50 bodies if I get the new camera. I don't really think I could get much for them at this point. My guess is +-$100 a pop. Not worth it. I might end up giving the red K-50 to my youngest niece, so she can start shooting.
10-03-2019, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
This is an obvious "get your posts up" thread
And that's a good thing - keep them out of threads with purpose

10-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well I'll join in then
Sell a camera......you can do that ?
But if I do now what will I use in the meantime its not exactly here yet.....and.....well...I might not like it

decisions

Dave
10-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm on the fence as to giving my K-3 II to one of my daughters versus picking up a used one to give to one of my daughters (yes, one of my daughters is slated to get a used K-3 II). I'm 99% on buying the new camera, and it's really going to be a question of "when", and that'll be tied to the price at release and whether I wait for the first round of discounts. Depending on what a used K-3 II is going for and how much more I like the new one will determine whether I keep it in my kit or pass it down, but either way, it stays in the family.
10-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
and that'll be tied to the price at release and whether I wait for the first round of discounts
Likewise.

10-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I've been considering my K-70 isn't quite "everything I desire", albeit far and away better than my older cameras in many respects, so I'd probably trade it in against either a KP or the "new APS-C" as if and when pricing and budget allow. I'll not get as much as if I sold it privately, but that solution will ease the cashflow of a new body and reduce any waiting times to a minimum. I don't need two 24Mpixel cameras, my K-5 is more than adequate for "general purpose" photography and the 6Mpixel bodies are just that
10-03-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I can't really think of a killer feature the new DLSR will have that would convince me to buy it, as I would need to sell my K-3 II and/or K-70 to do so.

The one path that would lead me to the new APS-C - or perhaps even a K-1 - would be to sell both bodies and a bunch of lenses and almost completely reconfigure my kit. But if I were to go that route, I would also seriously consider other brands.
They haven't even announced any features, but just the prospect of better AF has me saving my money. I'll be selling the K-3...it won't be nearly enough...Since I'm invested in the 150-450 it will still be a lot cheaper than a D500 or whatever Nikon calls their APS-C MILC and a 200-500. And who knows how well the 200-500 would work with an adapter for the MILC...
10-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll probably keep the K3. As other people have posted, a back up is super handy.
10-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #26
Inactive Account

My K3 has done a great job, so i am 50-50 depends on
1. if it has tilt screen?
2. If it has some kind of hybrid screen to let me magnify view in the viewfinder so i can better manual focus at night?
3. Price is justifiable for me? I need dynamic range performance for urban night photography. FF is a better fit but i also have to compromise with lighter over all kits. Pentax won't do ff mirrorless now? That's fine. ( like what they said about ff dslr years before K1. )
As long as the new apsc price won't go beyond a7ii.

But even it won't meet any of the above, if it has something really interesting, I will buy it. If it can't offer any thing a K3 cando for me, I will stick to the K3 for now.
10-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm not going to be an early adopter. Maybe after the first firmware update and after the initial wave of reviews. Though the current cameras would probably get passed down rather than selling.
10-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I am unlikely to buy another camera unless one of my K-3iis breaks. However, I do like to have 2 cameras that are the same or very similar in handling. If I were to buy the new camera, what I would keep or sell would depend on how similar the new camera handling was to any remaining bodies I had.
10-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like my KP, the new one would have to be a significant upgrade for me to purchase. To answer the question, if I did buy I would probably sell my KS-2, keep the KP. I don't need three cameras.
10-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My current camera is a K1...so no.