Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Just look at all of the images of the new proto-type. No GPS button or LED is displayed. If you can speculate on the function hidden in the dials, then I can speculate about the lack of a GPS (labeled) button and LED.

If I am incorrect, then so be it. My bad.

I wonder if it will support Pixel Shift, or PEF support. We will not know.
That’s just seriously and unnecessarily negative and unhelpful. You should stop this right now. What do you speculate the S.Fn Button and large LCD are there for. Starbucks Frappe online ordering? My bad doesn’t cut it - you are actively damaging the brand with no basis in fact. Like any good Elitist these days.

I suppose you think because no functions are printed on the control wheel all of those have been removed as well? I’ll ask again. What other “features” have been removed?

Last edited by monochrome; 11-02-2019 at 10:22 PM.
11-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #287

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
So when the new APS-C flagship comes, will you keep your current camera and buy the new one or sell your camera and upgrade?

Personally, I might go either route. I don't really need 2 cameras but occasionally I've felt as though I could've used 2 cameras in certain situations.
Depends on how great the new body is and what it is capable of
11-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #288
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That’s just seriously and unnecessarily negative and unhelpful. You should stop this right now. What do you speculate the S.Fn Button and large LCD are there for. Starbucks Frappe online ordering? My bad doesn’t cut it - you are actively damaging the brand with no basis in fact. Like any good Elitist these days.

I suppose you think because no functions are printed on the control wheel all of those have been removed as well? I’ll ask again. What other “features” have been removed?
Really? "Actively damaging the brand"? That is a bit of a stretch. How does what I have said "actively damage the brand:?

Honestly, I don't think that anyone gives a darn about what I think, I ain't the end all profit of Pentax capability. I suggest you sit back and cool off a bit.

As for the S.fn button and large LCD - well I just do not care what they do. I have said before, that I am not in the market to buy a new body and that means I will continue to use the one's I have now regardless of what the new body can do. Now, if it sells for a really cheap price and eats the K-3 II for lunch things might change. But then again, I am not a first adopter, so I would wait a few years (yeah years) or until my K-3 II dies, to get a new body.

From the limited number of pictures I have seen it appears to me that there is no GPS button or LED. I surmise from these facts that the camera does not have GPS. As I stated in my first post on this thread. No, I will not run out and buy the new body - regardless of its capabilities - but in particular I would not buy it if it does not have GPS.

No one knows for a fact what the list of features the new body has.If Ricoh removes GPS, then this body is not going to be a potential replacement for me if I need to replace my K-3 II. At the moment, I have no need nor desire to get a newer body just because a new body is announced. I understand my K-3 II's capability given the type of images I take. It works just fine thank you very much.

Last edited by PDL; 11-03-2019 at 01:52 AM.
11-03-2019, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just bought KP and I am sure that I will never need anything better.
P.S. When I was buying K20, K-50 and K-70 also thought the same

11-03-2019, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #290
Veteran Member

Only if they release a HD Pentax D FA*300mm f2.8 AW at the same time!
So I guess not......
11-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #291
Pentaxian

Not in 2006-07 you didn't and that is my point. You are conflating using a independent GPS system to one built into the camera. Ah--that is not the same thing, nor is it the same time period.

Your device was introduced in 2010, not during the time period I was talking about.
Introducing: Oregon 700 Series - Garmin Blog

Yes, there are many GPS independent devices out there, but with it built into the camera, I do not have to carry around a separate device. As for place names into the images, the K-3 II GPS data worked fine in Lightroom v6.14 during my 2 month trip through Europe in 2017, no syncing with external devices/files needed. Then in 2018, Google killed the maps function in Lightroom v6.14, ExifToolGUI, GeoSetter etc. but the camera was able to provide GPS locations.
The Oregon isn't my first GPS. My first GPS the original yellow Garmin didn't even have a mapping function, I had to correlate with Topo maps to see where I was.. Why do you even care about when I did what and when. Find someone else to harass.

QuoteQuote:
Ah--that is not the same thing, nor is it the same time period.
And you think I don't know that? What is this a mini-lecture. A long diatribe of things I already know?

It was a simple comment.

Released in 2000.

Garmin - Wikipedia

I don't care what you will or won't do. Just saying, if GPS is necessary you can do it other ways besides having built in. For some if they aren't carrying the GPS they might have to carry a flash. There's more than one way to do it. And why won't you carry a GPS? You just clip it on your day pack with the supplied beener and forget it until you get home. In our case, with lots of travel through unfamiliar wilderness, we take a GPS and track all our major trips anyway, so it's already there. That saves a lot of camera battery on your wilderness trips.

In my experience there are many occasions where a separate GPS is essential or preferential.

Now what were you going on about again? Did someone piss in your cornflakes?

Last edited by normhead; 11-03-2019 at 06:43 AM.
11-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
Depends on how great the new body is and what it is capable of
Well, it sure ain't for brewing coffee!! So it must be capable of taking photos and based on what other recent Ricoh/ Pentax camera bodies have been capable of, damn good photos, if the operator is up to the job.

11-03-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #293
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well, it sure ain't for brewing coffee!! So it must be capable of taking photos and based on what other recent Ricoh/ Pentax camera bodies have been capable of, damn good photos, if the operator is up to the job.
Maybe it could brew coffee, too! In theory, the 14Wh capacity of a D-LI90 battery contains enough energy to bring 200 mL of water to brewing temperature.

That means that under CIPA standards of a 60 mL espresso, a Pentax camera should be able to do about 3 shots!
11-03-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the shake-reduction system means that it's unlikely to spill.

BTW, @Larrymc - congratulations!
11-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Maybe it could brew coffee, too! In theory, the 14Wh capacity of a D-LI90 battery contains enough energy to bring 200 mL of water to brewing temperature.

That means that under CIPA standards of a 60 mL espresso, a Pentax camera should be able to do about 3 shots!
There you go, that explains the button!! We can now move on to other more important complaints which will probably be innumerable once a few specs are released which would prompt those who have no intention of buying the K-NEW anyway to tell us they weren't going to buy it because of the inclusion of or the lack of some feature.
11-03-2019, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really? "Actively damaging the brand"? That is a bit of a stretch. How does what I have said "actively damage the brand:?
You are posting unfounded accusations of feature removals on the basis of Pentax having removed a hard button and LED. These comments are indexed on the Internet for all to find and see. I strongly repeat - unfounded accusations.

Honestly, I don't think that anyone gives a darn about what I think, I ain't the end all profit of Pentax capability. I suggest you sit back and cool off a bit.
I suggest you stop posting unfounded accusations.

As for the S.fn button and large LCD - well I just do not care what they do. I have said before, that I am not in the market to buy a new body and that means I will continue to use the one's I have now regardless of what the new body can do. Now, if it sells for a really cheap price and eats the K-3 II for lunch things might change. But then again, I am not a first adopter, so I would wait a few years (yeah years) or until my K-3 II dies, to get a new body.
If you don’t care and won’t buy the camera then why the disinformation campaign of unfounded disparagement? Who is paying you?

From the limited number of pictures I have seen it appears to me that there is no GPS button or LED. I surmise from these facts that the camera does not have GPS. As I stated in my first post on this thread. No, I will not run out and buy the new body - regardless of its capabilities - but in particular I would not buy it if it does not have GPS.
Occam’s Razor. GPS is most likely enabled with a soft button, just as WiFi and all the other functions formerly on the Control Dial likely are. Your stubborn insistence that a hard button is required to enable GPS suggests active animus against the brand.

No one knows for a fact what the list of features the new body has.If Ricoh removes GPS, then this body is not going to be a potential replacement for me if I need to replace my K-3 II. At the moment, I have no need nor desire to get a newer body just because a new body is announced. I understand my K-3 II's capability given the type of images I take. It works just fine thank you very much.
Then stop posting disinformation about a camera you don’t know anything about, don’t want and won’t buy.
11-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #297
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Oregon isn't my first GPS. My first GPS the original yellow Garmin didn't even have a mapping function, I had to correlate with Topo maps to see where I was.. Why do you even care about when I did what and when. Find someone else to harass.
Then why not say that instead of implying that you were using a 2010 device in 2006-07 - which was my point.
And you think I don't know that? What is this a mini-lecture. A long diatribe of things I already know?

It was a simple comment.
As was the comment I made to which you replied. If telling you that you need to be a bit clearer is a "lecture" then so be it. Now, calm down.
Released in 2000.

Garmin - Wikipedia
You should have said this in the first place.
The GPS system I had that attached to my PDA required a 12v adapter in order to run. I carried a solar array to power it when I was getting positions and elevations for specific places while in NZ. The maps part of the system ran on my PC, left at home, and only covered The US. No topo maps. I still have the original software and the GPS antenna, but the iPAQ is pretty seriously dead. The solar array is sitting in my window and periodically I charge my phone with it. Just because I can.

I don't care what you will or won't do. Just saying, if GPS is necessary you can do it other ways besides having built in. For some if they aren't carrying the GPS they might have to carry a flash. There's more than one way to do it.

And why won't you carry a GPS?
Ah - a direct question. After my iPAQ I bought a HP PDA that had a default installation of the Tom-Tom GPS. I found that carrying a separate GPS was really not as convenient as I thought it would be. I never tried a Garmin device. The HP PDA did not provide tracking so it was useless as a means of associating locations with time. Heck, even the K-3 II will create a GPS track, but it eats the battery and my old Solar Array will not recharge its batteries. Bummer.

I do carry a GPS, in my phone, but that also has the disadvantage of not providing a track. I do not spend any time out in the boonies anymore so the requirement for a GPS to provide my location is really not a necessity. Having just gotten back from my Yellowstone vacation where there was no Wi-Fi or Cell coverage having a GPS independent of the phone would have been nice. I do have a app on my phone that will allow me to download maps for use off-line but I forgot to set it up for Wyoming/Montana. We would have used it only for one day, so no big deal.

You just clip it on your day pack with the supplied beener and forget it until you get home. In our case, with lots of travel through unfamiliar wilderness, we take a GPS and track all our major trips anyway, so it's already there. That saves a lot of camera battery on your wilderness trips.

In my experience there are many occasions where a separate GPS is essential or preferential.

Now what were you going on about again? Did someone piss in your cornflakes?
So, you bought a device that fits your needs, so did I. And depending on the feature set of the new body, when my K-3 II no longer fits my needs or just dies, then the new body might work. But, as with my K-3 II built in GPS is a requirement on my part. Oh - I do not eat cornflakes.

---------- Post added 11-03-19 at 02:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You are posting unfounded accusations of feature removals on the basis of Pentax having removed a hard button and LED. These comments are indexed on the Internet for all to find and see. I strongly repeat - unfounded accusations.

I suggest you stop posting unfounded accusations.

If you don’t care and won’t buy the camera then why the disinformation campaign of unfounded disparagement? Who is paying you?

Occam’s Razor. GPS is most likely enabled with a soft button, just as WiFi and all the other functions formerly on the Control Dial likely are. Your stubborn insistence that a hard button is required to enable GPS suggests active animus against the brand.

Then stop posting disinformation about a camera you don’t know anything about, don’t want and won’t buy.
Dude, relax. Next year it will all come clear when Ricoh/Pentax release specifics.

"GPS is most likely enabled with a soft button, just as WiFi and all the other functions formerly on the Control Dial likely are." So your speculation of is not damaging to the brand. Making misleading statements about "hidden" features? Where are your links?

As for "animus against the brand", that is just your incorrect assumption. For the record, all of my DSLR's have been Pentax's and there is no other brand out there that has the feature set of my K-3 II. There are some things I would like to see improved, but in the course of things they are pretty trivial. I am not looking to switch brands. I hope that new body starts with the K-3 II feature set as a baseline and shows improvement from there. I would be more than pleased if the new body has a beer bottle opener.
11-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #298
Pentaxian

Then why not say that instead of implying that you were using a 2010 device in 2006-07 - which was my point.

As was the comment I made to which you replied. If telling you that you need to be a bit clearer is a "lecture" then so be it. Now, calm down.

You should have said this in the first place.
The GPS system I had that attached to my PDA required a 12v adapter in order to run. I carried a solar array to power it when I was getting positions and elevations for specific places while in NZ. The maps part of the system ran on my PC, left at home, and only covered The US. No topo maps. I still have the original software and the GPS antenna, but the iPAQ is pretty seriously dead. The solar array is sitting in my window and periodically I charge my phone with it. Just because I can.

Ah - a direct question. After my iPAQ I bought a HP PDA that had a default installation of the Tom-Tom GPS. I found that carrying a separate GPS was really not as convenient as I thought it would be. I never tried a Garmin device. The HP PDA did not provide tracking so it was useless as a means of associating locations with time. Heck, even the K-3 II will create a GPS track, but it eats the battery and my old Solar Array will not recharge its batteries. Bummer.

I do carry a GPS, in my phone, but that also has the disadvantage of not providing a track. I do not spend any time out in the boonies anymore so the requirement for a GPS to provide my location is really not a necessity. Having just gotten back from my Yellowstone vacation where there was no Wi-Fi or Cell coverage having a GPS independent of the phone would have been nice. I do have a app on my phone that will allow me to download maps for use off-line but I forgot to set it up for Wyoming/Montana. We would have used it only for one day, so no big deal.

So, you bought a device that fits your needs, so did I. And depending on the feature set of the new body, when my K-3 II no longer fits my needs or just dies, then the new body might work. But, as with my K-3 II built in GPS is a requirement on my part. Oh - I do not eat cornflakes.

Dude, relax. Next year it will all come clear when Ricoh/Pentax release specifics.

"GPS is most likely enabled with a soft button, just as WiFi and all the other functions formerly on the Control Dial likely are." So your speculation of is not damaging to the brand. Making misleading statements about "hidden" features? Where are your links?

As for "animus against the brand", that is just your incorrect assumption. For the record, all of my DSLR's have been Pentax's and there is no other brand out there that has the feature set of my K-3 II. There are some things I would like to see improved, but in the course of things they are pretty trivial. I am not looking to switch brands. I hope that new body starts with the K-3 II feature set as a baseline and shows improvement from there. I would be more than pleased if the new body has a beer bottle opener.
I remember when the K-3ii first came out. No flash! No flash! No flash!

So now GPS has become the do-hicky that you cannot do without? Then you can purchase all the used K-3ii bodies that will flood the market - or switch to the brand which majors in GPS

Me? I'm happy with my KP and if I need to know where I am, I'll glance at my smart phone.
11-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #299
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

- or switch to the brand which majors in GPS

So that's not Pentax I take it?
11-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #300
PDL
Pentaxian

I remember when the K-3ii first came out. No flash! No flash! No flash!
And I said it was about time.

So now GPS has become the do-hicky that you cannot do without? Then you can purchase all the used K-3ii bodies that will flood the market - or switch to the brand which majors in GPS

Me? I'm happy with my KP and if I need to know where I am, I'll glance at my smart phone.
I have had four Pentax cameras that have a built in flash. In total, I have used the internal flash on them a fewer than ten (10) times. Having a on board flash is a waste of space for me. (SF-1, *ist Ds, K-10D and K-20D)

I really do not like flash although it has its place for controlled conditions. I can will not tell you of all the times I have seen people running around with their wimpy little flash popped up shooting. One example of a single day (again in 2006 in NZ). While on a tour of Doubtful Sound, we stopped in a power plant that was a few hundred meters underground. A person with a Nikon took a picture of the power plant with his little flash popped up. Straight into the glass, all he got was a bright spot that filled the frame. Later on the boat back to Manapouri, the same guy came up on top of the boat and up flipped his wimpy flash as he took a shot of the receding mountains - that were 2 kilometers away.

Now, if you look at my equipment list, you will see that I have four (4) external flashes, so don't go off telling me that flash built in makes a difference.

As for knowing where I am, yes I can look at my phone too, knowing where I am is not the point. The trick is geotagging images after being out on vacation for 2 weeks or months. (Read 1K to 6K in terms of images taken)

So please, tell us what brand has "majored" in GPS.