Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
A person with a Nikon took a picture of the power plant with his little flash popped up. Straight into the glass, all he got was a bright spot that filled the frame. Later on the boat back to Manapouri, the same guy came up on top of the boat and up flipped his wimpy flash as he took a shot of the receding mountains - that were 2 kilometers away.
And people think that using a popular brand can make a difference in how they shoot.

11-05-2019, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
And people think that using a popular brand can make a difference in how they shoot.
I don't think it is that, it is more they think that a better camera will magically make them take better pictures when at best it allow them to take higher image quality crappy pictures. The choice of a popular brand is because they go to target, best buy, or wal*mart and see cannon, nikon, and sony which are familiar brands and buy the most expensive one they can afford with the longest zoom range on the kit lens. Then they wonder why their images are only marginally better than the ones they were taking with their cellphones but the framing and composition still suck.
11-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I don't think it is that, it is more they think that a better camera will magically make them take better pictures when at best it allow them to take higher image quality crappy pictures. The choice of a popular brand is because they go to target, best buy, or wal*mart and see cannon, nikon, and sony which are familiar brands and buy the most expensive one they can afford with the longest zoom range on the kit lens. Then they wonder why their images are only marginally better than the ones they were taking with their cellphones but the framing and composition still suck.
This is true. Luckily the new Pentax's has composition adjust, so the masses don't have to worry about that anymore. Too bad they aren't sold in stores.
11-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
This is true. Luckily the new Pentax's has composition adjust, so the masses don't have to worry about that anymore. Too bad they aren't sold in stores.

In fact, it's about me. Is this about someone else?

11-05-2019, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #305
Pentaxian

True. They think that having a better camera will magically make their pictures better. In the end, if you're good, you're good. Camera brand has nothing to do with it.
11-06-2019, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #306

True. They think that having a better camera will magically make their pictures better. In the end, if you're good, you're good. Camera brand has nothing to do with it.
Can agree. While i only had a Pentax K-m, i went ahead and did a bit of buy&sell, with profit if possible, and i could try a Canon EOS 300 and an Olympus E-300 (heh). I liked the Canon while i hated the Olympus, but at the end, the three cameras gave the same results. Garbage.

So i started to learn, and now i have curated garbage
11-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #307
Forum Member

LOL, all too familiar.

That's why I still have my 6mp D50. If I am going to produce alot of curated garbage, I want it to take as little space as possible.
At least that's how I rationalize my hoarder tendency.

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
Can agree. While i only had a Pentax K-m, i went ahead and did a bit of buy&sell, with profit if possible, and i could try a Canon EOS 300 and an Olympus E-300 (heh). I liked the Canon while i hated the Olympus, but at the end, the three cameras gave the same results. Garbage.

So i started to learn, and now i have curated garbage

11-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #308

QuoteOriginally posted by Its Y I shoot Pentax Quote
LOL, all too familiar.

That's why I still have my 6mp D50. If I am going to produce alot of curated garbage, I want it to take as little space as possible.
At least that's how I rationalize my hoarder tendency.
Welp, as per today the curated garbage generator is taking a full medium size bag, along with a whole 250GB of disk space
11-07-2019, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #309
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
Welp, as per today the curated garbage generator is taking a full medium size bag, along with a whole 250GB of disk space
Tomorrow I might be taking a decent sized bag and a few lenses to the beach. I hope to be making some wet, sandy, curated garbage.
11-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It`strue too
11-21-2019, 08:17 PM - 3 Likes   #311
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't make it through all the pages of this thread, but as I've seen quite a few people saying they will hand down their trusty K-5ii, K-3, K-3ii, etc. down to their kids or other family members, I'd like to ask if any of you are interested in adopting?
11-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #312
Veteran Member

My K-3 is on its last legs, the shutter has the run away shutter problem, I broke and repaired the battery door, and the bottom tripod screw thread seal has been compromised. While the run away shutter does not kill the camera, it resets itself when it happens That means I can not use it for timelapse which is the primary purpose of my non-main bodies other than having a backup body. It also has a lot of use from almost 60k of shutter activation from backpacking and hiking. Even though that is the case, I am not sure if I am going to replace the camera now that I have a K-1. if i get another aps-c body, it is probably going to be a KP when the price gets into my price range for a second body. A high end aps-c body will be in the price range of a K-1, and for me that is a hard sell. I am sure Pentax themselves are going through that rationalization for pricing.
11-22-2019, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I get the a new camera I’ll trade my daughter my current KP for the K7 I gave her.

I won’t sell anything again. I sold my K10d at a garage sale and now regret it. I had no clue at the time about M42/legacy lenses. The camera sucked for low light, but a dedicated M42 body would be nice.
11-22-2019, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I didn't make it through all the pages of this thread, but as I've seen quite a few people saying they will hand down their trusty K-5ii, K-3, K-3ii, etc. down to their kids or other family members, I'd like to ask if any of you are interested in adopting?
Ok, you can adopt me, if you have K-1
11-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
If I get the a new camera I’ll trade my daughter my current KP for the K7 I gave her.

I won’t sell anything again. I sold my K10d at a garage sale and now regret it. I had no clue at the time about M42/legacy lenses. The camera sucked for low light, but a dedicated M42 body would be nice.
If buying the new model you'd trade the KP for a K-7 as your lighter backup or lighter secondary alternate body?

---------- Post added 11-23-19 at 02:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
My K-3 is on its last legs, the shutter has the run away shutter problem, I broke and repaired the battery door, and the bottom tripod screw thread seal has been compromised. While the run away shutter does not kill the camera, it resets itself when it happens That means I can not use it for timelapse which is the primary purpose of my non-main bodies other than having a backup body. It also has a lot of use from almost 60k of shutter activation from backpacking and hiking. Even though that is the case, I am not sure if I am going to replace the camera now that I have a K-1. if i get another aps-c body, it is probably going to be a KP when the price gets into my price range for a second body. A high end aps-c body will be in the price range of a K-1, and for me that is a hard sell. I am sure Pentax themselves are going through that rationalization for pricing.
Well, the K-1 II has currently been reduced to about $1,800, so I think an introductory price of around $1,400 for the new APS-C body seems logical- substantially less than the reduced K-1 II. The KP is currently on sale at B&H for $747, even including a memory card, camera bag, and Printshop pro software free, and free shipping. That is very low for a relatively compact camera of its build quality and features. Sale price is about to end, but maybe will return after the holidays.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-23-2019 at 02:46 PM.