Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
If buying the new model you'd trade the KP for a K-7 as your lighter backup or lighter secondary alternate body?
It would be to have a dedicated M42 body. And to upgrade my daughter. I’d keep the KP as the dedicated M42 camera except for giving her a nice surprise

11-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #317
Veteran Member

It will depend on Knew price introduction and its features.
Pentax ML could come relatively soon so it would also depends on 2020 newsflow
11-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the K-1 II has currently been reduced to about $1,800, so I think an introductory price of around $1,400 for the new APS-C body seems logical- substantially less than the reduced K-1 II.
That assumes that APS-C is 'inferior' in some way to full frame, and thus an APS-C camera is going to be less expensive. While that is the conventional wisdom I'm not sure it has to be that way. Logically we could have a 'flagship' APS-C and a 'flagship' FF camera that have similar price points, just different feature sets. Just speculating but I can see a K-1 line focused on the advantages of FF, such as a higher pixel count and a k-3 line focusing on the advantages of APS-C, such as much faster frame rate. Different 'premium' cameras for different purposes, possibly with second tier cameras in both formats that have a slightly lower feature set and price point.
11-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #319
Veteran Member

The KP is currently on sale at B&H for $747, even including a memory card, camera bag, and Printshop pro software free, and free shipping. That is very low for a relatively compact camera of its build quality and features. Sale price is about to end, but maybe will return after the holidays.
With the KP now down to 700 or less, its has become a lot more appealing to me. I bought my K-3 new when it dropped to $699

11-26-2019, 05:43 AM   #320
Veteran Member

I probably won't sell my K-3, but who knows.
11-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Usually have to.
11-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
With the KP now down to 700 or less, its has become a lot more appealing to me. I bought my K-3 new when it dropped to $699
When a model becomes discontinued is when the best deals come along for left-over stock as closeout sales. I bought my K-5 IIs when the K-3 arrived. I believe for around $650 or so.

But hopefully the new forthcoming APS-C flagship will not cause the KP to be discontinued, as it was never intended to be a flagship model replacing the K-3 II, but rather a unique model onto itself. I feel with its uniqueness and fine performance, it will remain a great alternative design with still excellent capabilities for a good while to come. Still a good alternative choice to the mirrorless crowd out there, still a marvelous matchup for the Pentax Limited lenses, still very able for other use with its optional battery grip, and still a great APS-C alternate for those having a K-1.

11-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if I got the new APS-C flagship I would end up keeping what I already have. Well I might get rid of the K2000 but then one of the kids uses it to learn on and the batteries and SD card in it are worth more than the camera is so the only place it would go would be the trash or to the box of cameras I have for scouts to use when they do photography merit badge.
11-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When a model becomes discontinued is when the best deals come along for left-over stock as closeout sales. I bought my K-5 IIs when the K-3 arrived. I believe for around $650 or so.

But hopefully the new forthcoming APS-C flagship will not cause the KP to be discontinued, as it was never intended to be a flagship model replacing the K-3 II, but rather a unique model onto itself. I feel with its uniqueness and fine performance, it will remain a great alternative design with still excellent capabilities for a good while to come. Still a good alternative choice to the mirrorless crowd out there, still a marvelous matchup for the Pentax Limited lenses, still very able for other use with its optional battery grip, and still a great APS-C alternate for those having a K-1.
I think so too. Pentax KP is incredible indeed.
11-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I have had four Pentax cameras that have a built in flash. In total, I have used the internal flash on them a fewer than ten (10) times. Having a on board flash is a waste of space for me. (SF-1, *ist Ds, K-10D and K-20D)

I really do not like flash although it has its place for controlled conditions. I can will not tell you of all the times I have seen people running around with their wimpy little flash popped up shooting. One example of a single day (again in 2006 in NZ). While on a tour of Doubtful Sound, we stopped in a power plant that was a few hundred meters underground. A person with a Nikon took a picture of the power plant with his little flash popped up. Straight into the glass, all he got was a bright spot that filled the frame. Later on the boat back to Manapouri, the same guy came up on top of the boat and up flipped his wimpy flash as he took a shot of the receding mountains - that were 2 kilometers away.

Now, if you look at my equipment list, you will see that I have four (4) external flashes, so don't go off telling me that flash built in makes a difference.

As for knowing where I am, yes I can look at my phone too, knowing where I am is not the point. The trick is geotagging images after being out on vacation for 2 weeks or months. (Read 1K to 6K in terms of images taken)

So please, tell us what brand has "majored" in GPS.
As I said above, I have a KP. I am happy.

I did not say that built-in flash makes a difference to me, but I said Pentax received so many comments about the K-3ii's lacking the tiny point-flash that I wouldn't be surprised if they decided it was a mistake to leave it off in the future. You apparently agree with me about the utility of the tiny point-source of light, but we are not the ones deciding what elements should be included in the new camera.
11-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #326
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$1400 for an APS-C camera? It will have to be very special at that price point.
11-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking more and more like I"ll keep the K-3 II in addition to the new release.
12-01-2019, 01:35 AM   #328

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure I'd get anything for my K-7. I'm currently humming and hawing over if I should buy the KP or wait for the new APS-C flagship. It's a big step up in every way which I'm looking forward to, and my dilemma would surely be solved if there were any used KP or K3 ii nearby, but there are none.

I have to make my decision before the Black Friday deals end - the Canadian dollar has such poor value right now that ordering from the USA is an excessive premium too. I am planning a trip to the UK next year (hopefully) and doing more photography outings (whale watching, birding, nature walks) so I'd like to "know" what direction to go, but product development and manufacturing take time. It would be just my luck that they release later (fall) than earlier.
12-01-2019, 01:46 AM   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with your deliberations. I wouldn’t part with my K-3II if I did get the K-New (which appears highly likely, depending on features - GPS tagging being an important one) but would probably dedicate it to M42 lenses via adapter.
12-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #330
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually, when I come to think of it, if the K-New makes redundant the features of the K-3II, I'll probably get the K-New and then try to trade my K-3II for a KP.