Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

It remains to be determined in my case. I will not jump on pre-ordering it, but could see the point for others doing so who have been waiting. I am still happy with results from my K-5 IIs flagship. It can deliver the goods for most situations and I love the controls. I love my KP. It will remain my compact favorite. But I won't turn down advancements useful for my needs.

10-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I often wish I had not sold my K10D after purchase of the K-3. While the buyer got an amazing deal on a lightly used camera at $150, I soon felt the value to me as a backup was somewhat greater. At very least, it is sometimes nice to have a second quality digital camera to shoot photos that must include the K-3 in the frame! It

So, the answer is that purchase of the unnamed new camera will probably not result in my K-3 being put up for sale.

Steve
10-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still use my *ist DS occasionally with a DA35/f2.4 plastic fantastic on it. My son’s using my K-5 with a DA35/f2.8 Limited Macro on it. Like others, I haven’t learnt to sell cameras, and even if I had, would I sell the K-3II? Heck no!
10-03-2019, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

I really don't know. I've kept my K10D despite the fact that it has gotten no use since I bought a K-3 five years ago. I keep the
K10D because of the CCD sensor and rationalize that some day I might like to put that to use. So the big question is whether to
sell the K-3 once I have the K-New. I guess it all depends whether the K-3 continues to offer something unique. It will be hard
to let go of the K-3 in any case. I was overjoyed to acquire the K10D as it was my first DSLR and reaffirmed my faith in the Pentax
brand. However, I >love< the K-3 like few other cameras I've owned before. It's a tool that simply 'falls to hand' and it's difficult
to imagine letting go of such a fine camera.

10-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They haven't even announced any features, but just the prospect of better AF has me saving my money. I'll be selling the K-3...it won't be nearly enough...Since I'm invested in the 150-450 it will still be a lot cheaper than a D500 or whatever Nikon calls their APS-C MILC and a 200-500. And who knows how well the 200-500 would work with an adapter for the MILC...
I will be very interested in reading how the new APS-C and 150-450 combo performs.
10-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
This is an obvious "get your posts up" thread. But, no, the K-3 is more than enough for me for a while yet.

Just doing my part to help the community.
10-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 was as far as I can remember the first anything I bought on pre-order but I'm quite comfortable with my K-3II and K-1II so I am in a good position to wait a bit on this one. I really cannot think of anything that would make me replace the K-3II. Unlike many I find the current AF more than satisfactory and the image quality and ergonomics are just fine as well, so no urgent reason to be looking for anything 'better'. Of course that could change once we see what the camera really is.

10-03-2019, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The used price will be too low to sell at that point. I've been using my K-7 and 18-55 WR for all kinds of risky shots, like bolted to my deck during a storm or in a dusty workshop. I would not risk a more valuable camera on those shots and they don't need awesome IQ anyway. For eclipses, I'll set up all the cameras with some job, like timelapse or wide angle. They still take the same shots as they did all new and shiny, and with a manual focus lens, AF speed is not a problem.

I hear the new camera will look into the future, predict your subject and focus before you even pick up the camera. So all the old stuff will be worthless.
10-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the K-3 until I wear it out. Then will come the hard decision of what to replace it with.
10-03-2019, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The used price will be too low to sell at that point.
Good point, unlike some other manufacturers that churn out the model of the year there has not been a new Pentax APS-c in the flagship class for some time. So those out there are starting to age and thus might not have the resale value that was to be expected in past model changes.
10-03-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey who wants to buy my trashed Pentax K5IIs?
10-03-2019, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Hey who wants to buy my trashed Pentax K5IIs?
I'll give you tree.fiddy for it.
10-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll keep my current ones.
10-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably not. It's a K-3 and there's just not much resale value. If someone wanted to trade me for a used 77, though (with some cash to even things out), I'd be up for that.
10-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We need to see the specs and price to determine that. I have generally done so with new models and be happy with the choice but it could be different this time.