Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
True. And sometimes, life being what it is, something can unexpectedly accelerate the process.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Or bring it to dead stop...

Gallows humour, I know.
Life can go from 0-100-0 real quick.

10-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Yeah. What HE said. I haven't finished figuring out how to best exploit the K-1 and the KP, yet.
I have been thinking about this a lot recently as well. I'm just barely scratching the surface with using astrotracer and pixelshift, let alone just utilizing the great image quality given generally. It's clear to me a new camera wouldn't really add anything for me. I don't use autofocus enough for an improvement to be a big deal to me. Same with higher frame rates. Only thing I would like is video, which I do use frequently, but that's not Pentax's focus, and I get that.

BUT, I am not immune to craving cool new stuff. So, who knows
10-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's the 800lb gorilla in the room I'm attempting to ignore.

Unfortunately, regardless of what I'd prefer to do, the decision to downsize to lighter gear may happen sooner than later.
You need to downsize to a 700 lb gorilla! I did, and I've never looked back.
10-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #214
Pentaxian

No need. I have the K-1 for high-level "flagship camera" work, the K-5 for general duty that requires a weatherproof body and an inbuilt flash, and the *istDS for lower-megapixel fun. If the K-5 ever packed up I'd consider replacing it, BUT its replacement must have an inbuilt flash.

10-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Or bring it to dead stop...

Gallows humour, I know.
You have to have it when you live where any critter you stumble over or on can kill you! I think fatalistic thinking may be a bit more commn for folks in your neighborhood Rob!
10-23-2019, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends. Who would want to buy a K-50 at this point? (I wouldn't.)

I think I'm going to ride this horse till it dies, then use it for manual glass until it dies all the way. Then eat it. Crunch crunch.
10-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Sure.

10-23-2019, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #218
Pentaxian

I won't buy the new camera. First, the lack of flippy screen is a deal breaker for me. Second, I'm all full frame now with my Pentax system and have no intentions of ever going back to a smaller sensor in a Pentax camera that I use exclusively for stills.

Video is important to me, and for that I shoot 4K with my Panasonic M4/3 and Fuji X APS-C system. But for my bokeh still photos, I prefer Pentax K-1 full frame images over the images produced from Panny M4/3, Fuji X, or Nikon full frame.
10-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will probably buy the new camera at some point, especially if the rumored AF-C improvements materialize, but not sell my K-3ii or K-30. The K-3ii is still a very functional camera that can serve as a backup body or for other family members, and the K-30 won't bring much cash back.
10-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
You need to downsize to a 700 lb gorilla! I did, and I've never looked back.
Already have chimp-sized gear with the Fuji stuff. Lighter weight, but has it's own set of issues.

Sometime in the future I'll likely have to remove something from the "stuff I like to photograph" category in order to fit into one smaller lighter system.
10-23-2019, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You have to have it when you live where any critter you stumble over or on can kill you! I think fatalistic thinking may be a bit more commn for folks in your neighborhood Rob!
Our reputation seems to have preceded us. In other places, it’s the two-legged creatures you have to be more wary of!

None of which I had in mind when I posted the original thought, though. I was thinking more of the perils of lifestyle and bodily decrepitude. But then, I do happen to live in a more peaceful corner of this dangerous continent.
10-24-2019, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I'm just barely scratching the surface with using astrotracer and pixelshift, let alone just utilizing the great image quality given generally.
Yes, I feel the same. BUT - that new prism housing is really cute...
10-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
If you do decided to sell, what would make you choose to keep your K-5 over the K-3?
I've got to say, that is one really tough call. Lovely image quality on the K-5 series on a pixel level, although the K-3 can look sharper and about as clean when scaled to 16 megapixels. However, I would expect the K-3 to meter more accurately - without having done side-by-side comparisons. Then again, the interface on the K-5 is just the best.

---------- Post added 10-27-19 at 10:00 AM ----------

Already have chimp-sized gear with the Fuji stuff. Lighter weight, but has it's own set of issues.

Sometime in the future I'll likely have to remove something from the "stuff I like to photograph" category in order to fit into one smaller lighter system.
That sounds disheartening - I'm sure we can find you a better solution.
10-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #224

I still have the K-30, so I am ready for an upgrade, but will likely send the K30 to my little brother who does not currently own a dslr. Not sure if I will buy the new pentax or jump ship. I have a good workflow with my current glass, and would hate to re-purchase those ranges in another mount.
10-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using my K3 recently, just because I love it but the KP is that bit better when it comes to IQ. The K3 is more of a pro feel grip and has more buttons but I have found workarounds with the KP and its extra dial. The K3 is older tech but like the k5 is respected, the kp is viewed as quirky by the photography press despite its performance, capabilities and features. Hopefully the K-new will be the best of both worlds in which case it will be a good upgrade from the K30/50/70 and if it is marketed properly, may give new camera buyers reason to think. The new Nikon budget mirrorless looks good as do the Fuji range but these aren't DSLR. It will be interesting. No upgrade for me though, my KP is stellar, ...... Although, hybrid viewfinder ......