Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 04:21 AM   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to mention disco mode using the two mount lamps on the front.

Sorry, another blatant raffle boost!

11-02-2019, 06:01 AM   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
What are you talking about?
In 2006 my *ist Ds did not have GPS, my phone did not have GPS (Motorola StarTAC and it did not work in NZ anyway) . My PDA had a GPS devices added (Compaq iPAQ) but I only had it working just a few times. The K-10D was just released and I did not get mine for a half a year. Just what GPS system were you using in 2006?
My Garmin GPS. Aperture took the GPS data, synced it with times on the photo and added GPS data to the image, and displayed them in the correct places on a map.

11-02-2019, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #273
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I think we’d be better off not speculating too hard about what a camera may or may not have, bearing in mind that we know virtually nothing about it. It’s all guesswork (and mostly fun guesswork) at this stage.
I admire your level-headedness... but this far into the thread, I fear that ship has already sailed
11-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Once you go full frame you can never go back.
I'm not going to spend enough to purchase a K-1, and I tend not to purchase used. A KP is good for me.

11-02-2019, 06:54 AM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the new camera has built in GPS and is as good or better (better be) than the KP I would probably sell the KP to buy the new camera. I maintain this expensive hobby by selling older equipment, even equipment I really like, to finance improved models.
11-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #276
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I admire your level-headedness... but this far into the thread, I fear that ship has already sailed
So true.

11-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #277
Pentaxian

In a simple word No.

From all that I have seen and read, the new camera will not have GPS and that is a show stopper for me. After traveling for two months through Europe having GPS to tell me the names of the cities I was in is extremely important to documenting my travels.

No, I do not need nor do I want a K-1 of any version. Using a K-1 with my plethora of APS-C lenses in crop mode will give me a mere 15MP where my K-20D gave me 14MP. Spending all that money on a bigger heavier camera to gain 1MP over my "old" camera is just not the smart thing to do in my opinion. With the images I shoot, I crop pretty hard, the my K-3 II crops give me more than 15MP to work with, if I were using a K-1 anything I would be around the 10MP range. That does not cut it.

If my K-3 II dies, I will either replace it with someone's cast off or really think hard about not taking pictures anymore. Ricoh/Pentax's habit of bringing out a new body that in essence throws away features they touted as being "flagship" characteristics is just ridiculous. Besides, it does not look like it has a beer bottle opener on it anyway.
I think the size and weight of the K-1 and the available lenses eliminates it as a possibility for many people. I don't have GPS but it would be nice. I don't think it would be worth adding an accessory for me.

11-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #278

I suppose I will look into buying the new camera when it comes, but I will definitely keep my K-1 II... :-)
11-02-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And I'm here on the quay, waving at it!
11-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #280
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
With a K-1 mark 2, the priority for me is the acquisition of a D-FA 85mm F/1.4.
11-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #281
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My Garmin GPS. Aperture took the GPS data, synced it with times on the photo and added GPS data to the image, and displayed them in the correct places on a map.
Not in 2006-07 you didn't and that is my point. You are conflating using a independent GPS system to one built into the camera. Ah--that is not the same thing, nor is it the same time period.

Your device was introduced in 2010, not during the time period I was talking about.
Introducing: Oregon 700 Series - Garmin Blog

Yes, there are many GPS independent devices out there, but with it built into the camera, I do not have to carry around a separate device. As for place names into the images, the K-3 II GPS data worked fine in Lightroom v6.14 during my 2 month trip through Europe in 2017, no syncing with external devices/files needed. Then in 2018, Google killed the maps function in Lightroom v6.14, ExifToolGUI, GeoSetter etc. but the camera was able to provide GPS locations.
11-02-2019, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From all that I have seen and read, the new camera will not have GPS
Where on earth precisely (links please) have your read that?
Just speculation from other sites and in particular in the images displayed there is no GPS button as there is on the K-3 II and K-1 series bodies. With Ricoh not really giving anyone a clue and no GPS button, it looks to me that GPS is a thing in the past. Yet another Pentax near exclusive feature that has been "removed". Too bad. Plus there is that missing beer bottle opener.
I have surmised the GPS control (and other controls such as WiFi) are now accessible by using the new S.Fn multi-function top button combined with the 3rd wheel and visible on the larger, context-sensitive top LCD screen.

I’m curious. Which other near-exclusive features have been removed?

Last edited by monochrome; 11-02-2019 at 07:13 PM.
11-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #283
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where on earth precisely (links please) have your read that?I have surmised the G aPS control (and other controls such as WiFi) are now accessible by using the new S.Fn multi-function top button combined with the 3rd wheel and visible on the larger, context-sensitive top LCD screen.

I’m curious. Which other near-exclusive features have been removed?
Just look at all of the images of the new proto-type. No GPS button or LED is displayed. If you can speculate on the function hidden in the dials, then I can speculate about the lack of a GPS (labeled) button and LED.

If I am incorrect, then so be it. My bad.

I wonder if it will support Pixel Shift, or PEF support. We will not know.
11-02-2019, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #284
Veteran Member

I won't be selling my k-1, but I'm glad that Ricoh/Pentax is coming out with a new flagship with new features. Those features I'm hoping trickles into the next FF model
11-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have plenty of Clicks left in my K-3, and it has proven to be nigh indestructible so far. Not likely I will be able to justify replacing it next year, but will seriously consider it in 2021 once the prices come down. Still looking to buy the DA* 11-18 on a good used deal at some point first as well. New release gear is just too much for my wallet.