Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Presented with this decision, I chose a K-S2. The most inexpensive path of the lot. I really wanted the flippy screen.

10-03-2019, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could actually wait for the new APS-C flagship that will be announced next year. Might be the answer to pretty much anything that is bothering you with the K-50.

My K-3 is in its fifth year now, but I can and will wait, as I know it'll be worth it. Meanwhile, my K-3 will remain the excellent photography tool it's ever been.
10-03-2019, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

If the KP felt small, then consider the K-70. The K-70 is a significant improvement over your current K-50, and less expensive than the KP.

None of the wants and needs you mentioned require the more expensive K-1. The K-1 is best if you do a lot of low light landscapes or print very large.
10-04-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I must say that the KP is a large step up from the K-50, and over the past few months, I have also acquired a K-5IIs and a K-1 I can say to you that.either model of the K-1 will amaze you, and I now realize that a K-5Iis would have been a noticeable upgrade on the K50.
In my case, I just have to spend the rest of my life trying to be good enough to fully use all the capabilities of my KP and K1.

BTW, the KP with the battery grip added makes a huge difference in how it handles, especially with larger lenses. You really can’t go wrong with either, as long as you have full frame lenses if you go K1.
I also have a K-5IIs, along with my K-1 II and K-3 II. It is capable of really nice images/performance.

10-04-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I would say your best bet is to wait for the upcoming new APS-C flagship. Your K-50 is perfectly functional, so why not wait?

The K-1 or K-1 II presents a whole new approach because of being a larger format, and in a practical sense a different experience in shooting. Some lenses will need be much larger and much costlier to cover the same ground. If you primarily shoot certain scenarios like say landscapes, and/or are interested in using certain FF lenses, the FA Limiteds being an example, there would be no substitute. Numerous K-1 owners also own a KP as well so the advantages of each are well covered. As to the KP's body size and design, it is indeed modular so by adding the optional battery grip the ensemble is about the same weight as the K-3 II by itself while adding a much greater grip-able surface area.
10-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I also have a K-5IIs, along with my K-1 II and K-3 II. It is capable of really nice images/performance.

I've often wondered just how the K-5IIs compares with the K-3II in terms of image quality. Care to share your thinking of this?

I know the K-3II has pixel shift and more mega pixels and probably better auto-focus - but I don't care about any of that, I only care about the IQ of the images themselves.

Thanks...
10-04-2019, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Still, you could be tempted to wait until early next year when the new APS-C (as yet unnamed) camera is launched.
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
You could actually wait for the new APS-C flagship that will be announced next year. Might be the answer to pretty much anything that is bothering you with the K-50.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I would say your best bet is to wait for the upcoming new APS-C flagship. Your K-50 is perfectly functional, so why not wait?
Times four! I'd wait for that before making any camera purchases.

10-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been using KP and K1 for close to couple years now.
KP with vertical grip goes on trips, K1 with grip gets left behind...
10-05-2019, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
If you've been comfortable with the K-50's feature set and ergonomics, then perhaps a K70 would be the safest choice for you. Really, if there's nothing about the KP or K1 variants that jumps out at you as being "necessary", then don't bother spending the money. At least, that's how I see things when my budget is so limited. I was seriously considering the K70, but I jumped on the KP (on sale) because I fell in love with it the first moment I saw it.
I have both the K70 and KP and I much prefer the feel of the K70. If I were to do it over I might opt for two K70's as I've not really felt I miss anything that my KP offer more than a couple of rare occasions.
10-06-2019, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried the largest grip? The other alternative is to get the KP battery grip but it surely is expensive right now.
10-06-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've often wondered just how the K-5IIs compares with the K-3II in terms of image quality. Care to share your thinking of this?
For a short time I had both the K-5IIs and the K-3II. Sold the K-5IIs eventually. My initial reaction was that the K-5IIs produced better images than the K-3II. I remember a number of people complaining at about that time that they were disappointed with the K-3II image quality.

What I discovered was that I was using the same import develop settings on the K-3II that I had used on the K-5IIs. Once I realized that and went back to square one development wise the image quality of the K-3II surpassed the K-5IIs and I sold it.

Just my opinion from my experience but I found a lot more latitude in the K-3II images and found I preferred them over the K-5IIs, when they were developed correctly.
10-06-2019, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

I know the K-3II has pixel shift and more mega pixels and probably better auto-focus - but I don't care about any of that, I only care about the IQ of the images themselves.

Thanks...
From a perspective of K5 and K3 in "low light / night" urban shooting;

K5 - if I have to use higher ISO. It is easier to manage and get a cleaner image after post processing for me.

K3 - if I am using a Tripod and or in a situation I can use ISO 400 to whatever lower. It has more pixel count and it is a double-edged sword.
10-06-2019, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For a short time I had both the K-5IIs and the K-3II. Sold the K-5IIs eventually. My initial reaction was that the K-5IIs produced better images than the K-3II. I remember a number of people complaining at about that time that they were disappointed with the K-3II image quality.

What I discovered was that I was using the same import develop settings on the K-3II that I had used on the K-5IIs. Once I realized that and went back to square one development wise the image quality of the K-3II surpassed the K-5IIs and I sold it.

Just my opinion from my experience but I found a lot more latitude in the K-3II images and found I preferred them over the K-5IIs, when they were developed correctly.
Thanks much for sharing your experience!
10-06-2019, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
From a perspective of K5 and K3 in "low light / night" urban shooting;

K5 - if I have to use higher ISO. It is easier to manage and get a cleaner image after post processing for me.

K3 - if I am using a Tripod and or in a situation I can use ISO 400 to whatever lower. It has more pixel count and it is a double-edged sword.
Thanks much for sharing your experience!
10-07-2019, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

The K-1 or K-1 II presents a whole new approach because of being a larger format, and in a practical sense a different experience in shooting. Some lenses will need be much larger and much costlier to cover the same ground. If you primarily shoot certain scenarios like say landscapes, and/or are interested in using certain FF lenses, the FA Limiteds being an example, there would be no substitute. Numerous K-1 owners also own a KP as well so the advantages of each are well covered. As to the KP's body size and design, it is indeed modular so by adding the optional battery grip the ensemble is about the same weight as the K-3 II by itself while adding a much greater grip-able surface area.
The K70 is a major step up for the K50, and at around $500US right now it's almost a no-brainer buy IMO. there's going to be plenty of room for two cameras later on if the new APS-C camera gets purchased. I nearly always carry two cameras if the event I'm going to has any importance at all, or if going out in a dusty area and needing to avoid field lens changes. The K-70 makes a perfect partner.

Keep the K50 for now too, and later if you pick up another body give your old camera to a family member or better yet donate it to a school and give some kid a chance to put his own talents on display.