Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

I know it's asked a lot, but... KP vs K-1 vs K-1 II

Hello!

I know this is asked plenty, and I know I myself have asked for comparisons between newer Pentax DSLRs many times... BUT I think there can never be enough anecdotal evidence for/against certain DSLRs.

I currently have an almost four year old K-50 and want to upgrade. I have jumped between the thoughts of a KP, K-3 II, and K-1 (or K-1 II, from what I've read they're practically the same if you don't pixel peep).

I'm not really looking for spec comparisons, I know there are websites for that. But in your experience, what did you settle on? What do you like to shoot? What works? What doesn't? Ergonomics, AF, whatever comes to mind.

I rented the KP and enjoyed it, but it felt a little small at times (especially having to put my pinkie under the body). I would maybe even 3D print or otherwise create my own grip that fits perfectly for me.

Let me know what you think!

10-03-2019, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have recommended one thing to do in these circumstances

rent the equipment and form your own opinion

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

get on the mailing lists of the businesses and they will alert you when they have specials

yes, it will cost some $ but you get personal knowledge

which is the best info to have
10-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

If you've been comfortable with the K-50's feature set and ergonomics, then perhaps a K70 would be the safest choice for you. Really, if there's nothing about the KP or K1 variants that jumps out at you as being "necessary", then don't bother spending the money. At least, that's how I see things when my budget is so limited. I was seriously considering the K70, but I jumped on the KP (on sale) because I fell in love with it the first moment I saw it. I would have been happy with the K70, but there always would have been the feeling of missing the few things I liked most about the KP. If you haven't had that feeling yet, then I suggest holding out until your K50 really doesn't do it for you anymore, or at least wait for the new flagship to come out to reconsider. Maybe the release will bring along some further price drops for existing models that will make them more enticing, although the K70 currently seems to be at it's lowest price ever so maybe it's to to take that leap.

One thing to consider on the subject of APS-C vs full-frame is that although the K1 may have a big comfortable grip, it will also be significantly heavier (exponentially so when you consider the general incompatibility of DA lenses). The KP is the only APS-C DSLR that many would consider to have an insubstantial grip, though you may not mind it if you happen to need the battery grip anyway.
10-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have recommended one thing to do in these circumstances

rent the equipment and form your own opinion

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

get on the mailing lists of the businesses and they will alert you when they have specials

yes, it will cost some $ but you get personal knowledge

which is the best info to have
Thanks! I did rent the KP (I should have taken notes on my experience), but I'll have to consider maybe renting the K-1 to have some experience there as well.

10-03-2019, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both K-3II and K-1II. Different cameras for different purposes and I use both about evenly. For casual use or travel I usually take the K-3II. The K-1II is for paid gigs, astro and fine landscape.

For my hands the K-1 is just about a perfect fit Despite the higher weight I can carry it longer without strain than the K-3II because the grip fits me better. YMMV of course. Both are excellent ergonomically, much better (IMHO) than cameras by other makers.
It seems sometimes that every other post on this forum bemoans the Pentax auto-focus but my "in focus" percentage with either camera is well over 90%, close to 100% to be honest. Of course I don't shoot birds in flight or other challenging subjects. For what I shoot however I really do not see how the AF can be better.
If I had to pick only one I suppose I would go with the K-3II but I really appreciate having both bodies and using the one best fitted to a particular job.
10-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
If you've been comfortable with the K-50's feature set and ergonomics, then perhaps a K70 would be the safest choice for you. Really, if there's nothing about the KP or K1 variants that jumps out at you as being "necessary", then don't bother spending the money. At least, that's how I see things when my budget is so limited. I was seriously considering the K70, but I jumped on the KP (on sale) because I fell in love with it the first moment I saw it. I would have been happy with the K70, but there always would have been the feeling of missing the few things I liked most about the KP. If you haven't had that feeling yet, then I suggest holding out until your K50 really doesn't do it for you anymore, or at least wait for the new flagship to come out to reconsider. Maybe the release will bring along some further price drops for existing models that will make them more enticing, although the K70 currently seems to be at it's lowest price ever so maybe it's to to take that leap.

One thing to consider on the subject of APS-C vs full-frame is that although the K1 may have a big comfortable grip, it will also be significantly heavier (exponentially so when you consider the general incompatibility of DA lenses). The KP is the only APS-C DSLR that many would consider to have an insubstantial grip, though you may not mind it if you happen to need the battery grip anyway.
I do enjoy my K-50, but there are a few things I really am not a fan of:

- The build quality is fine, but I'd say it's just fine. It's held up well so I can't complain, but after using the KP for a few days and going back it almost feels like a toy.
- The shutter is loud. I hate using my camera in settings where I don't want to disturb others, I feel like the sound just reverberates in empty rooms.
- The lack of an articulating screen didn't bother me much... That is, again, until I used the KP. It came in handy much more than I originally thought it would. I find myself really struggling to get those low-down shots.
- The ergonomics and size are fine, I don't find myself thinking about it when I shoot at all really. But after I held my friend's Nikon D7300... Man, that thing felt good. It is a bit closer to the size of the K-1, but it just felt so good in the hand. I didn't shoot extensively with it, so I don't know how the size would feel after a few hours, but it just felt so much better than my entry level.

In all honesty, though, I just want a new camera. I know I don't need one, but I'm making money right now and want to treat myself. A big reason why I'm considering the K-1 is because I want to buy this to last another four years or so. I worry that if I go APSC, I'll start getting full frame envy and get that itch to buy another camera after not too long.

You make good points, though. Thank you! I will continue to remind myself that I really don't need to upgrade, but I haven't really treated myself to something that I really wanted since I got my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 a bit over a year ago (and it was a steal at $300).

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 06:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have both K-3II and K-1II. Different cameras for different purposes and I use both about evenly. For casual use or travel I usually take the K-3II. The K-1II is for paid gigs, astro and fine landscape.

For my hands the K-1 is just about a perfect fit Despite the higher weight I can carry it longer without strain than the K-3II because the grip fits me better. YMMV of course. Both are excellent ergonomically, much better (IMHO) than cameras by other makers.
It seems sometimes that every other post on this forum bemoans the Pentax auto-focus but my "in focus" percentage with either camera is well over 90%, close to 100% to be honest. Of course I don't shoot birds in flight or other challenging subjects. For what I shoot however I really do not see how the AF can be better.
If I had to pick only one I suppose I would go with the K-3II but I really appreciate having both bodies and using the one best fitted to a particular job.
Thanks for the input! I think I would be of the same mindset as you: the weight is worth the great ergonomics. Sure, I would probably rather go on a seven mile hike with my K-50 and 50-135 than a K-1 and 70-200, but in general I don't think the weight would bother me terribly much.
10-03-2019, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
in general I don't think the weight would bother me terribly much.
If the weight is not an issue then I would go with the K-1 or K-1II. Superb cameras for their intended purpose. I prefer the K-1II but find myself using the K-3II more because of its lighter weight.

The new APS-C flagship might also be an option for you if you can wait until May or so.

10-03-2019, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
To me, I often walk a long distance with Camera, lenses, tripod, etc. so if I can't make a decision by theirs specs, It will come down to;
Look at the weight and size of the whole system, Do I want to use it?
Will I leave that camera at home (because it is too heavy) or Having it with me (because it is not too heavy)?

If you don't have a problem carry a heavier K1 + it's mostly bigger lenses, I would say go for K1 or K1II because it is the best Pentax can offer now.
If you don't have a problem with a bit more expensive K1II, get K1II because it is the best of the best Pentax offers now.
If you will likely have problem with weight in the first place, KP all the way.
10-03-2019, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is really no competition for the K-1ii in Pentax land if you want the very best features and output. But the KP is very fine if you are happy with a crop camera or just prefer a smaller model.
10-03-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just relating my own experience. I have both the K50 and K70. I find there to be no significant difference in the weight, size, ergonomics, and handling between the two. I often have to take the camera away from eye to see which one I'm using. Of course the features and technical capabilities of the K70 are much more improved and advanced than those of the K50. The point being, If you like the feel, size, and handling of your K50 you will also like the K70.
10-03-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have both the K-3 II and the K-1 II. The K-3 II does an excellent job for shooting aps-c. The K-1 II does a superior job of shooting full frame and is also an excellent camera.

Depending on if you want to shoot aps-c or full frame, either of those cameras are great. I would also like to mention that if your interest is focused on shooting aps-c, then you may want to wait for the new aps-c model that will supposedly be available early next year (relatively soon).

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-03-2019 at 08:00 PM.
10-03-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't mention exactly what lenses you have but you only really get IQ benefits if you are using fullframe lenses on the K-1 / K-1II. Sure you can use an APS-C lenses with the K-1 but IQ is pretty similar to say the K-5IIs (which still pretty good but obviously you missing quite a lot of resolution - 15 MP versus 36 MP). I have used APS-C mode a few times with my Sigma 10-20 f3.5 to fill a gap - so the mode is still useful as a convenience.

As others suggest you should try a K-1 out if you can. I also find it fits my hands perfectly and is certainly a tool you can use for hours on end.

While the K-1 suits me very well personally other factors with the K-1 for you to consider:
* Obviously cost (including any new lenses you might need)
* has a lot lower continuous frame rate than K-3 or K-P, so if you shoot quite a bit of action photography that may something worth considering
* AF is actually pretty good (and I think similar to K-3II & K-P in speed) but if you want blistering AF speeds then at the moment there may be more attractive options with other brands.
* Telephoto. If you do a lot of telephoto work then on the K-1 you might need a bigger / heavier (longer focal length + FF coverage) lens than you otherwise would with a APS-C camera.

One last thing is there are less Wide & Ultra wide options for the K-1 currently (than APS-C cameras). If you are happy with Size / Weight / Cost of the DFA 15-30, then that is only modern Pentax branded option at the moment. There are a few 3rd party options but fairly limited and quality can be a bit of a lottery sometimes with some.
10-03-2019, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You mentioned the KP felt a bit small when you rented it. Do you know what size grip it came with? It could be that switching to a larger grip would help, or even getting the optional vertical grip.
10-03-2019, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I must say that the KP is a large step up from the K-50, and over the past few months, I have also acquired a K-5IIs and a K-1 I can say to you that.either model of the K-1 will amaze you, and I now realize that a K-5Iis would have been a noticeable upgrade on the K50.
In my case, I just have to spend the rest of my life trying to be good enough to fully use all the capabilities of my KP and K1.

BTW, the KP with the battery grip added makes a huge difference in how it handles, especially with larger lenses. You really can’t go wrong with either, as long as you have full frame lenses if you go K1.
10-03-2019, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
Hello!

I know this is asked plenty, and I know I myself have asked for comparisons between newer Pentax DSLRs many times... BUT I think there can never be enough anecdotal evidence for/against certain DSLRs.

I currently have an almost four year old K-50 and want to upgrade. I have jumped between the thoughts of a KP, K-3 II, and K-1 (or K-1 II, from what I've read they're practically the same if you don't pixel peep).

I'm not really looking for spec comparisons, I know there are websites for that. But in your experience, what did you settle on? What do you like to shoot? What works? What doesn't? Ergonomics, AF, whatever comes to mind.

I rented the KP and enjoyed it, but it felt a little small at times (especially having to put my pinkie under the body). I would maybe even 3D print or otherwise create my own grip that fits perfectly for me.

Let me know what you think!
I like the size and feel of the K-1II. But, I have not handled the KP, so I can only say that, coming from the K-5 to the K-1 felt very natural. AF is much, mush faster, the "feel" and build of the camera has that same solid dependable feel.
Still, you could be tempted to wait until early next year when the new APS-C (as yet unnamed) camera is launched.