Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

sharpened raw files in camera

I looked at the metadata of a raw file in Adobe Bridge and under sharpening was the word hard. This was a raw file saved from my camera to pc. I may have opened these files with adobe raw processor but I haven't saved any changes. I use lightroom and this doesn't change the raw files. Does this mean that the camera is sharpening my raw files? I am not aware of a setting in camera for sharpening the raw files

It would be appreciated if someone could tell me if there is.

10-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I know that on the K10D the custom image settings hard-written into a JPEG image (i.e. contrast, saturation, shapness, etc.) apply just the same to a RAW file, but only by way of metadata. I presume this is the same with most Pentax DSLRs, if not all.
A RAW file is a RAW file, that is essentially unprocessed data. The metadata is interpreted by Pentax Photo Lab, etc. as processing settings. The camera is not altering the raw file data.
10-15-2008, 02:10 AM   #3

Most RAW converters just use this metadata in RAW files as a starting point. For example they mostly start with the white balance set in camera instead of just wildly guessing.
Same with sharpness but of course different RAW converters will have a different idea of what a "hard" sharpness actually is.
Short answer: no your RAW file is not affected by your choices of sharpness, contrast etc.
10-15-2008, 02:50 AM   #4
ibk
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Every RAW file contains, I think two jpegs inside for preview purpose. One small 160x120 and one actual resolution with (**) quality. That jpeg is the one you see on the back LCD after you take a photo. It gets the settings that are set for jpeg shooting and these are the jpegs you get after using the "Extract jpeg" command in Pentax Photo Bowser.

Hope this helps