Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 179
Pentax and new memory cards

I am no expert, but right now my K-1II will use SD memory cards that have the UHS-I bus interface which means that it has a maximum transfer rate of 104MB/sec as opposed to the standard 25MB/sec.

Sony released a new card with a 312MB/sec that has the UHS-II interface tripling the current rate. That card is downward compatible, but the K-1II would have to be able to process it at the higher rate. What I do not know is if this could be changed with a firmware update?

Because of the wide developments in 360-degree and 3D cameras, drones and 8K videos there is an even faster card, already developed, that uses the UHS-III bus interface which has a 624MB/sec transfer rate.

I am sure that Pentax already knows this, but was curious if this might be updated with firmware.

10-06-2019, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,876
QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
What I do not know is if this could be changed with a firmware update?
No. UHS-II cards have a second set of pins to facilitate the faster speeds. Also, the K-1's actual write speed is around 30Mb/s, so good UHS-I cards will already deliver optimal performance as far as the camera is concerned.


That said, you can certainly use these faster cards and benefit from faster transfer speeds to your PC when inserting them into a compatible reader.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter
TedH42's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,219
Not gonna work with firmware. The UHS-II interface uses more contacts than the K-1ii has. A change of camera hardware (adding the new contacts), is required.

You're too fast for me, Adam.

Last edited by TedH42; 10-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.
10-06-2019, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 833
That said, Amazon has a price of $20US for their 120Gb Lexar Pro cards right now, which is pretty low. If you want to go for 2 64Gb cards, you can save even more. Interestingly, the 2 pack of 128Gb cards costs more than 2 singles.

I've used the 128Gb cards mentioned with my K-1 for a couple of years now and no issues whatever (knock on wood). They are rated 95Mb/s so can make use of the K-1's fastest write speed that Adam mentioned. Prices seem to keep falling as I remember these same cards at $60 a pop back when.

I didn't mean to hijack the OP's post but thought they might be interested. No need in spending big bucks for a faster card when the write speed is limited by the camera as Adam pointed out. Of course, for future use in new cameras with more data needs, the OP's position is valid.


Last edited by Bob 256; 10-06-2019 at 02:25 PM.
10-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 996
As far as using a faster memory card (like a UHS-II V90) than the K1 Mk2 can fully utallize when shooting, there's not much of a benefit. The only benefit would be the much faster offloading of the images onto a computer with a good quality usb 3 card reader.
10-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 179
Original Poster
More on cards

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
That said, Amazon has a price of $20US for their 120Gb Lexar Pro cards right now, which is pretty low. If you want to go for 2 64Gb cards, you can save even more. Interestingly, the 2 pack of 128Gb cards costs more than 2 singles.

I've used the 128Gb cards mentioned with my K-1 for a couple of years now and no issues whatever (knock on wood). They are rated 95Mb/s so can make use of the K-1's fastest write speed that Adam mentioned. Prices seem to keep falling as I remember these same cards at $60 a pop back when.

I didn't mean to hijack the OP's post but thought they might be interested. No need in spending big bucks for a faster card when the write speed is limited by the camera as Adam pointed out. Of course, for future use in new cameras with more data needs, the OP's position is valid.
Comments were fine. I think that this will become a selling point for future cameras and hope that Pentax proceed to the UHS-III interface instead of the UHS-ii as it should be downward compatible and be ahead of the technology curve.
10-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,134
When Pentax will use an USB 3.0 controller like in the K-3 II, it could be possible that UHS-I 105Mbit or even UHS-II will be included.
But lets wait for next spring and the new APS-C flagship.
1 Day Ago   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,597
Can the UHSI/II be used in older cameras like the k-5II and the k-3II? Just trying to be sure I won't waste money on cards.

1 Day Ago   #9
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,134
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Can the UHSI/II be used in older cameras like the k-5II and the k-3II? Just trying to be sure I won't waste money on cards.
Yes, they're downward-compatible.
But sometimes a UHS-I card can be faster in a old camera than a UHS-II card.
1 Day Ago   #10
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter
dlh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern Piedmont of Virginia
Posts: 954
I spent some good bit of time trying to figure all that stuff out, second rows of contacts and such. Ended up buying the ones with the extra contacts, since they may last longer than the cameras or be useful somewhere else - a hedge against future progress, as it were.

One thing I couldn't find anywhere is whether any of the Pentax cameras presently support the faster cards with the second row of contacts.
1 Day Ago   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,597
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Yes, they're downward-compatible.
But sometimes a UHS-I card can be faster in a old camera than a UHS-II card.
Thanks. At least if I buy newer cards I'll be able to use them well in newer cams.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,552
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I spent some good bit of time trying to figure all that stuff out, second rows of contacts and such. Ended up buying the ones with the extra contacts, since they may last longer than the cameras or be useful somewhere else - a hedge against future progress, as it were.

One thing I couldn't find anywhere is whether any of the Pentax cameras presently support the faster cards with the second row of contacts.
None do. Maybe the "K-New" will.
1 Day Ago   #13
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,896
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Yes, they're downward-compatible.
But sometimes a UHS-I card can be faster in a old camera than a UHS-II card.
I bought a pair of UHS-II Delkin cards for my K1 and they seem to be faster than the Lexar UHS I I was previously using.
1 Day Ago   #14
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,134
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
One thing I couldn't find anywhere is whether any of the Pentax cameras presently support the faster cards with the second row of contacts.
No current Pentay camera does make use of the additional speed.
You can use this comparision:
Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Thanks. At least if I buy newer cards I'll be able to use them well in newer cams.
You're also able to use older cards in newer cameras.

This article is to recommend:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 22 Hours Ago at 09:50 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bus, camera, card, cards, dslr, firmware, interface, k-1ii, memory, pentax, photography, rate, transfer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SD cards and Micro SD cards seeking more Knowledge, facts and opinions aslyfox Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 09-14-2016 07:51 PM
New, Expensive Memory Cards For Pentax Full Frame? Fenwoodian Pentax Full Frame 10 02-03-2016 04:01 PM
k10 firmware for new memory cards? slip Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 02-17-2011 07:29 AM
new sticky on memory cards?? txsbluesguy Video and Pentax HDSLRs 3 11-11-2009 07:58 AM
K200d - Memory cards and new 18-250mm lense Hewy57 Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 04-18-2008 08:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top